Political Robocalls

What do you think of Political Robocalls?

• I hate them

Votes: 45 88.2%
  • I find them annoying, but tolerable

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • I kind of like them

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I really enjoy getting them

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
It's getting ridiculous, I just saw a political commercial that said "North Dakota's economy is reeling". Right now I think our economy is probably the best in the nation. It's obvious that that special interest group had a canned script and just inserted the state name for where ever the ad would air.

I'd rather have a robo call than an actual person call, because I don't feel rude hanging up on the robo call without saying anything.

If it's a robocall I don't get to tell the caller why they are bad, and perhaps influence future calls. Parts in my talk:

1. I was going to vote for xxx but now I can't because I have a strict policy against voting for people who use telemarketing.

2. Would you place calls at 2 AM? Because someone might be sleeping? How did you know that I wasn't sleeping? How did you know that I wasn't sick?

3. How can you be sure that your message is more valuable than my time?

4. Do you know about the do not call list? Yes I know you're exempt, but the fact that the do not call list is so popular should tell you how people feel about your calls.

5. Do you like to get telemarketing calls? Yes, you are a telemarketer -- you are marketing your agenda.

Yesterday I received a robocall: "Hi, this is Mike Pigg [local sports person], and I'm calling you to ask you to support..."

I looked up his home phone number, and called him to give him my talk.

I don't have much of a social life, so I sit by the phone and wait for the robo calls. :LOL:

I absolutely vote for anyone who robocalls. I also patronize companies that spam my email box, and really get turned on when 87 popups hijack my computer, requiring a reboot. I immediately place an order with those guys.

I am just the opposite. I feel so good when I can disconnect a real, live Weasel -- I can go down to their level with a clear conscience.

When a live person calls me, I ask if they are a paid caller or a campaign volunteer. If it is just their job, I politely thank them for their call and say goodnight. If it's a campaign volunteer, I take the opportunity to tell them what a scumball their candidate is.

He will be in competition with Finance Dude . By the way Bill C called again today so I'm sure it's real love . :)

Yeah, those boys sure are crazy about Sarah. I, however, understand your appreciation for Bill C;)

If it's a robocall I don't get to tell the caller why they are bad, and perhaps influence future calls. Parts in my talk:

1. I was going to vote for xxx but now I can't because I have a strict policy against voting for people who use telemarketing.

2. Would you place calls at 2 AM? Because someone might be sleeping? How did you know that I wasn't sleeping? How did you know that I wasn't sick?

3. How can you be sure that your message is more valuable than my time?

4. Do you know about the do not call list? Yes I know you're exempt, but the fact that the do not call list is so popular should tell you how people feel about your calls.

5. Do you like to get telemarketing calls? Yes, you are a telemarketer -- you are marketing your agenda.

Yesterday I received a robocall: "Hi, this is Mike Pigg [local sports person], and I'm calling you to ask you to support..."

I looked up his home phone number, and called him to give him my talk.

Good list!

I've actually done #1 before (and specifically called them out for using a generic Caller ID - why are they hiding, will they be this opaque if they get into office?). I don't think I've recieved one "live" call this season, just robo-calls.

I did have one person come to the door. A young (19-20?), very cute and polite girl handing out pamphlets for so-and-so. I couldn't work up enough curmudgeon-ivity to tell her what I thought. I'm weak.

-ERD50

We only use our landline for the fax machine, and have the ringer turned off. I don't know if we got any robo-calls, but if so they didn't show up on the answering machine.

I've read that Prop 19 in CA (marijuana legalization) is losing in human based polls, but scoring much higher in robo-polls. They say people are less likely to admit they'd vote for legalization to a person.

Also, NPR has an interesting interview with some of the people who do the scary statements in the political commercials and robo-calls. Dire Predictions and Disastrous Votes: Election Ads : NPR

Back
Top Bottom