Votes: 12 5.4%
  • Did not like/hated it

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Have not seen but plan too

Votes: 39 17.5%
  • Never plan to see

Votes: 137 61.4%

• Total voters
The people I know who didn’t like Barbie are all conservatives (ie, my fundamentalist relatives) or men. Hits too close to home I think. Barbie fever and women wearing pink outfits to the show reminds me a bit of the #MeToo movement and the pink hats.

A bit broad brush for these environs.

Agreed, seemed like weird comment from OP. I mean, some people will want to go for the fun of it, but I'd think those people know who they are. I'm certainly not the target audience, but if/when clips make it to youtube, I might check out some of the scenes with Margot Robbie, she's something.

-ERD50

Even that last comment is controversial.

The 25 minutes of previews was PAINFUL. That alone will keep me out of a theater for a long while.
Barbie was ok....some of the message rings true, but a bit too harsh on the guys for me. My DH got some good laughs, he's pretty easy going.
I think Barbie and Ken despite pretty faces have in fact faced serious and even life threatening challenges.

Lack of genitalia is right at the top. I hope that was dealt with in an authentic and compassionate manner.

I'd go for the visuals. But we'll probably wait for TV.

Re visuals: I'm not talking about beautiful people. Just color. Movies and TV have gotten so darn dark and muddled these days. The topic comes up on tv/movie threads frequently. It is refreshing to see a movie that makes use of this miracle we call "color film entertainment." (Never mind the digital.) You know, at one time, this was a really big deal.

Last edited:

Re visuals: I'm not talking about beautiful people. Just color. Movies and TV have gotten so darn dark and muddled these days. The topic comes up on tv/movie threads frequently. It is refreshing to see a movie that makes use of this miracle we call "color film entertainment." (Never mind the digital.) You know, at one time, this was a really big deal.

I thought the colors were beautiful. I also really enjoyed the music.

I went with my sister last night - $6 tuesdays at cinemark! - It was fun, I would watch it again when it comes online.

Did the haters actually watch it or did they decide in advance that they wouldn't like it. I am male and I enjoyed it.

I know folks who are all worked up about the movie just based on what they have been told. I was just there for the jokes :)

Going to see Barbie? Only if they tie me to a chair and tape my eyes open. It would be 2 hours of my life I'd never get back.

Actual picture of Maidensong watching Barbie. :LOL:

a-clockwork-orange-3.jpg

Loved it. Super relevant to me as a fan of Barbie most all of my life. She was an astronaut in 1965 for gosh sake. Also a lifelong feminist. It was a serious topic, reflective, well delivered with a dash of pertinent silliness. Just like life.

+1

You've nailed that one. Regardless of the quality of the content, the amount of literally 'dark' movies and TV shows is getting very annoying. What next, Vuvuzella noise added to the sound track so it's hard to listen to the movie as well as watch it?

I'll wait for the Barbie movie to stream or get the DVD from the public library. Same for the Oppie movie. I find I am more comfortable at home watching movies than in a theater. And I can sneak in all the treats I want without fear of getting caught. :D

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
... if/when clips make it to youtube, I might check out some of the scenes with Margot Robbie, she's something.

-ERD50
Even that last comment is controversial.

I'm not sure how Margot Robbie being attractive could be controversial. Many, many movie stars, male, female, whatever, are considered attractive.

-ERD50

I'm not sure how Margot Robbie being attractive could be controversial. Many, many movie stars, male, female, whatever, are considered attractive.

-ERD50

And it is literally a plot point, and mentioned in the film.

One can say someone is attractive without controversy. It's when someone is creepy about it that it's an issue.

Ed? Ed Sullivan, is that you?

I stand corrected. OTOH, perhaps a comfortable pair of TV shoes is something all men need added to their wardrobe along with driving shoes. Hmmm.... A chance to create new market and join the ranks of the filthy rich?

Last edited:
Did the haters actually watch it or did they decide in advance that they wouldn't like it. I am male and I enjoyed it.

I think my hater-relatives had their minds made up in advance, like they do on so many subjects :(. I’ve heard many men did like it

interesting to read the responses to this poll. We just saw the movie and really liked it. Excellent adult humor and good for the little girls that were giggling often. Yes, Margo is a knock out and the perfect "stereotypical" Barbie, but the other Barbies are great too. And Ryan Gosling is a fantastic Ken. We loved the acting and scenery changes between "Barbieland" and the "Real World." Good dancing and singing too. If a movie makes you laugh as well as shed a tear then it is a win-win. Good to be human. Next up is Oppenheimer.

The only way I'd see Barbie would be if I knew a very deserving 9-year-old girl who had nobody else to take her to see Barbie, and who was dying to see it.

Otherwise for me this sort of thing is kiddie-stuff. I have outgrown any interest in it that I might once have had.

OK, OK, my favorite video game is Animal Crossing, which some people think is kiddie-stuff too. But that's different, that's MY kind of kiddie-stuff and Barbie isn't. :LOL: :2funny:

The only way I'd see Barbie would be if I knew a very deserving 9-year-old girl who had nobody else to take her to see Barbie, and who was dying to see it.

Otherwise for me this sort of thing is kiddie-stuff. I have outgrown any interest in it that I might once have had.

OK, OK, my favorite video game is Animal Crossing, which some people think is kiddie-stuff too. But that's different, that's MY kind of kiddie-stuff and Barbie isn't. :LOL: :2funny:

You are aware that it is rated PG-13 aren't you?

You are aware that it is rated PG-13 aren't you?

No, I wasn't aware of that! :LOL: OOPS!! OK, then I wouldn't even go with that very deserving 9-year-old that I was imagining might want to see it.

I have zero interest in Barbie, myself.

No, I wasn't aware of that! :LOL: OOPS!! OK, then I wouldn't even go with that very deserving 9-year-old that I was imagining might want to see it.

I think I mentioned we were going to go with my niece and her kids, but their dad nixed it because of PG-13 and some other "hot button" stuff.

So instead we played board games inside with the adults dropping f-bombs and s-bombs while playing with the kids. :facepalm: Can't make this stuff up!

My nephew even dropped an f-bomb when my 10 year old great-niece made a clever Catan move. I think she enjoyed the whole thing and getting under Uncle's skin. Upshot? I think she would be more than ready for a PG-13 movie.

Last edited:
I'd like to see it but I'm still holding a grudge about my sister's Ken doll stealing my GI Joe deep sea diver's helmet. If I knew something bad happened to Ken, I'd be more inclined to go.

I had no plans to see it but a friend said she enjoyed it so went with another friend for 5.25 the senior rate. It was very funny and cute. Just a feel good movie and it was hilarious when they went to the real world.

Our youngest was into Barbie dolls. Most of them ended up with the arms, legs and head pulled off. We were slightly disturbed at first, but the little one explained that it was much easier to dress her Barbie dolls with the arms and legs removed - to be attached later.

Okay...

I almost spit out my coffee reading this!
That is reasonable thinking for a little one though, and I bet she grew up just fine:)

I almost spit out my coffee reading this!
That is reasonable thinking for a little one though, and I bet she grew up just fine:)

Indeed. She is our IT person and she fosters dogs. What more could we ask for. (Oh, and she is very successful.)

I do not know why it got that rating... there were a few innuendoes and the mention of vagina but overall I would not have kept my 9 yo daughter from it...

Back
Top Bottom