Votes: 103 45.6%
  • I'm on shaky ground

Votes: 10 4.4%
  • I'm looking for a job

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Total voters

JmfromTx

Recycles dryer sheets
I was edging my sidewalk and thinking about how my retirement was going the other day and this thought popped into my head "sh!t you got it made dude". About a nanosecond later I was wondering if I had jynxed myself. It got me to wondering how others here viewed their position.

I was edging my sidewalk and thinking about how my retirement was going the other day and this thought popped into my head "sh!t you got it made dude". About a nanosecond later I was wondering if I had jynxed myself. It got me to wondering how others here viewed their position.
Around our house it's "Life is good", along with "This is aloha" and "High-five!"

I think we hear them all on at least a daily basis.

My first post on this board was "This seems too easy and I'm having too much fun. What am I missing?"

The answer was "Not a thing. Party on..."

My old school called up to see if I'd want to fill in for a teacher going out on maternity leave for a couple of months, and without being too explicit, no thanks, that would seriously screw up a really good thing.

Knock on wood, it's made in the shade around this casa.

My old school called up to see if I'd want to fill in for a teacher going out on maternity leave for a couple of months, ...
The problem would be arranging to hold classes on the beach for those days when the surf is up. I think you'd have the student's support, but the school-bus fees might start adding up.

For as long as my health holds out, I have it made.

Attachments

• Walt-on-bike.jpg
    Walt-on-bike.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 76
I've got it made since I ERed in late 2008. I come and go as I please, I don't report to anyone, more than enough money comes in from my investments to pay my bills. No more commute, no alarm clock, my health is good, my car is good, my finances are good. I have enough hobbies and activities to keep me as busy as I like. My ladyfriend lives nearby.

Yep, have it made. Not rich by any means but have plenty of everything I need. I'm very greatful.

Do you have it made?

We reached our FIRE goal and so far I'd say yes, we've got it made.

Now, time will tell if our plan works well. So...ask me again in 30 years. :)

I have sufficient money to live in the way I would like, and then some. But even more important, I am truly happy and living a dream come true. I do what I want and I report to no one. My beloved and I are together. So far, my health is OK and what more could one want? I was Want2Retire, and now I am blissfully retired.

So yes, I'd say I've got it made. :dance:

After posting, I read this post earlier in the thread:

I've got it made since I ERed in late 2008. I come and go as I please, I don't report to anyone, more than enough money comes in from my investments to pay my bills. No more commute, no alarm clock, my health is good, my car is good, my finances are good. I have enough hobbies and activities to keep me as busy as I like. My ladyfriend lives nearby.

That's what I was trying to get across! You said it so well. :D

I'm pretty sure I have it made.

Although it is looking increasingly like FIRE will be early 2013 rather than the hoped for 2012, it will take something pretty catastrophic (or extremely interesting) to keep me in the w*rkforce after that.

We say this every day, especially when we see friends and neighbors who are frazzled from work with no end in sight.

Realistically we spent much less then they did and paid way more attention to building retirement assets but we still feel incredibly lucky.

Also, we don't worry about 30 years from now. Since DH followed me in retirement 2.5 years ago our net worth has increased and we haven't scrimped a bit. If we have to we'll sell the house and live in a small apartment if we start running out of money. With the proceeds from my house I could live in an apartment in this area for 25 years and not have to pay property taxes and maintenance. That mindset takes a lot of worry away from us about the future.

Not yet. But I feel good about being on the rite track. Once I FIRE (2012?), I will "have it made".

I feel incredibly fortunate to have been able to leave megacorp almost four years ago. That was a situation that was making me miserable, and almost daily I think about how happy I am now! Despite having retired into a fairly severe recession, everything seems to be working out and I have more confidence now about the future.

Although newly "retired" (at 48, I'm still not comfortable with that word)... I feel incredibly fortunate.

Have I "got it made"? Gosh I hope so... because, even after only being gone 3 weeks, I can't ever see myself going back. Just yesterday a former coworker asked how I was settling into "retired life" and my honest response was... I don't know how I lasted 20 years doing what I was doing. I don't miss it... in - the - slightest :D

Let's see....do I have it made?

Slept until 8 ~ check!

Nothing that I HAVE to do today ~ check!

Healthy ~ check!

DW & DD are "functioning within desired parameters"! ~ check!

Sun came up again today ~ check!

Coffee & newspaper waiting on the deck ~ check!

Hmmmmm.......seems good to me so far....but I may have to wait until after my mid day nap before making such an important decision :blush:

I was edging my sidewalk and thinking about how my retirement was going the other day and this thought popped into my head "sh!t you got it made dude".
I frequently have that same reaction. The latest was yesterday. DW and I were walking the dogs at about 7:00 PM and we crossed a dozen or so young workers trudging home from the job. I leaned over to DW and said, "man, even after 6 years seeing them makes me thank my lucky stars I am retired."

Got it made ---
I like my job (federal) and just turned over 25 years so I am in a win -- win as far as I can see..... I have enough should they really start paring down the Federal Gov. that I could live ok if they did offer early retirement (VERA) (no mortgage helps) and if not offered then I just keep working in a job I like until eligible for pension at 56.6 years old. (13 years away ) 1 kid graduates college in a year and the other (last) just started but her college tuition is all sewn up.

Not enough options.....

I do not yet 'have it made' because I am still working after getting a wife and two kids in the family unit that I had not planned for awhile back...

But, I 'have it made' because I now have a loving wife and two great kids :greetings10: I just don't yet have enough to retire and retirement is going to be pushed back maybe 5 years or so...

Not on shaky ground or looking for work (I am working)

Let's see....coffee on the patio, walk the dog, putter in the garden and tee time at noon. Yes, it seems like I may have it made.

A bit of apprehension on occasion though is probably a good thing...helps keep one honest and the eye on the ball!!

As several not-yet-ER'd folks posted here, despite not having it all "made" - I am totally tracking! Neither of us really dislikes our current employment; the light at the end of the employment tunnel is getting brighter by the minute (pulling the plug in 2020) - all in all we are having fun on this journey! So, we are "making it" now in order to really "have it all made" in a few years! Life is good!

There have been many times in my life when I have thought "I've got it made", and today is certainly one of those days.

I voted pretty sure I have it made. At 38, My DW and I have 250k in retirement, debt free but for the house and a smidge of SL (too low of rate to lump some pay it off- Don't tell Dave Ramsey)a low rate Mortgage set to be paid off at 53 if we don't payoff early, some college savings for our 2 kids and j*bs I love and she somewhat enjoys. So if all holds steady we should have a nice nest egg, paid off house, and my pension kicks in at 55. Happiness is living in the moment, but realizing the future looks pretty o.k. Now if I can just get my jaw to quit dropping everytime I see one of the new yellow w/ black stripe Camaro's drive by, I will be truly content with my lot in life.

In admitted ignorance and with few exceptions that had nothing to do with finances, I try to look at the current time (whenever it is/was) as the best time of my life. So yeah, we have it made.

Back
Top Bottom