Poll:The Grand Entrance: Hug, Kiss, Handshake or other?

Entrance: Hug, Kiss, Handshake or other?

• Hug

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Kiss

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Handshake

Votes: 26 55.3%
  • other

Votes: 13 27.7%

• Total voters
In that situation, I would have greeted everyone with a handshake. Hugs would be fine too if the person gestured. The only way I wouldn't have greeted everyone individually is if the group was like the Cheers bar and I was Norm. If everyone knows you, walking is and saying "Hi everyone!" would work. Especially if you've seen them all recently.

Handshakes for men. Hugs for women I [-]know well[/-] like. Handshakes for women I don't [-]know well[/-] like.

My version.

For some of the older people in the retirement place where my Dad lives, I sometimes use a pat on the shoulder. Not sure why.

On first dates that go well, I prefer a handshake at the beginning and a hug at the end (I'm a bit of a hugger like bbbamI :greetings10:). But the hug can be awkward - often it's too much and sometimes it's not enough. If I were to start dating again, I'd probably switch to handshakes at the beginning and end.

There have been a few times over the years where for whatever reason I've given someone a hug or a handshake and realized in retrospect it was the wrong call. These haunt me, because I feel badly that I may have sent the wrong message to the other person and possibly stressed them out unnecessarily.

Great question. It really is case by case in my opinion. Handshake or hug are good but I am not much of a kisser.
+1, exactly what I'd say. It's really case by case to me too, not even indicative of level of friendship or family. Some known huggers, some not even a handshake, just a warm hello. All good.

Last edited:
In Mexico, we do an air kiss on the left cheek unless the recipient is European. Then we do the air kiss on both cheeks.

For Mexican men, a handshake evolves into a hug by their left cheek along with a hug by the left arm.

For close female friends, it is a kiss on the lips.

When I enter a room of seated people, I greet the table mates on both sides, and then will spontaneously rise to great good friends who arrive later.

Last edited:
Handshake is what I'll lead with but am more than willing to do a hug if the other offers it, or if they're someone I really know well. Ain't kissing anyone but the wife or daughter. Or grandkids.

I have no problem with the more intimate greetings but really respected a woman about my daughter's age who was my right hand for many years. She explained to me that she had a very sensitive personal space that she did NOT like invaded; had a coworker who would and I had to correct him for it. When she announced she was pregnant first time with another woman present, other woman insisted that "H2ODude: aren't you going to hug her:confused: (south)" I did but kept it very brief and light. Hence my lesson from knowing this person is to be very cognizant that others may have hangups about informal intimacy. Who knows, may have been abuse earlier. Don't know, don't care, but am just very sensitive that others have special limits.

Hugs...? Bring 'em on! :smitten:

Need to add, DH and his buds do the hand grasp, shoulder bump and slap on back thing. I get the full embrace. Yeppers, I love hugs. :)

+1000, and I'm an introvert. I hugged a taxi driver two weeks ago :LOL:

Re the grand entrance, I would play it by ear as to whether it might be disruptive or welcome. I will say that to me there is always something very special about seeing young people make the rounds of a table of their elders, by a generation or two, as soon as they enter a place, saying hello or introducing themselves, and the elders always seem to enjoy that.

Last edited:
I met up with some old acquaintances from grade school last night for dinner. When I arrived, we were already about 30 minutes past the 1 hour window arrival time so about 7 people were already there and chatting.

When I found their table, I made eye contact, gave a good smile and said hello, then made my way to an open seat. Before sitting down, the person sitting next to me got up so we gave each other a hug.

Then I was thinking to myself, did I just do a faux pas? Should I have went around the table and greeted and hugged everyone individually before sitting down? Now, looks like I gave one person more attention? ....
I'm sure you did just fine. What if you got to one person and forgot their name while greeting everyone going round the table? I wouldn't want to take that chance as I'd probably flub it.

So I'd just say hi with a wave and look a few people in the eye as I took my seat. At least, that is how I'd imagine doing this.

I'm sure you did just fine. What if you got to one person and forgot their name while greeting everyone going round the table? I wouldn't want to take that chance as I'd probably flub it.

So I'd just say hi with a wave and look a few people in the eye as I took my seat. At least, that is how I'd imagine doing this.

I pretty much did what you said. That is, smiling and looking some people in the eye before finding my seat.

When leaving, did give hugs to all the women there except one (she left early and was a few seats away). We did do the navigating thing "Should we hug or not?". Instead, just said goodbye. The men, some hugs, some handshakes, some shake/half hug combos thing.

Last edited:
I am a handshake guy. I only hug (and might kiss) close relatives, or friends that I have known for a long time and know very well, particularly if there was some past situations where we depended on each other. I NEVER hug/kiss female friends or acquaintances unless they take the obvious lead.

In the situation the OP described I would at least introduce myself to them, and depending on if the meal had started on not, I would go and shake hands. If I wasn't sure of their name, I would just say so and ask. No one has ever seemed to mind that.

Back
Top Bottom