Poll:Volunteering

How many hours a week do you volunteer ?

• Zero, nada, nil

Votes: 73 42.7%
  • 1 - 5

Votes: 59 34.5%
  • 6 - 10

Votes: 28 16.4%
  • 11 - 15

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • 16 - 20

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • 20+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
When I was incredibly busy with work I did:

Coaching both kids in two different sports
Scouting leader for large packs/troups
Many church positions
Chairman of nonprofit
Non profit board

After my wife died I pulled back on things. Now I do some menial work for a couple small non profits and do 8-9 weeks of taxes a year for low income and elderly. Pretty intense for that period then blast out of it. Just help people where their needs are.

I voted 6-10 hours a week. However this is seasonal. I work with a Master Naturalist Program, which runs one day, for 12 weeks, in the fall. I enjoy connecting new generations to the natural world, while at the same time, feeding my need to be in the woods.

The organizers want me to develop and lead a few advanced training opportunities for graduates. This, however, starts sounding like w**k, and I have been resisting, but feeling guilty.

I have to keep reminding myself, I am allowed to say no!

Tried to volunteer--contacted three groups via their instructions (phone call and email) on flyers (senior center, food bank, food pantry). Not one called or emailed me back--lol!
Guess they had enough folks volunteer at that time.
May try again this fall.
Volunteered at kids school tons when working, though!

I like the volunteering on my time. Trail maintenance is good for that. Sometimes I lead hikes, which puts me on a schedule for that event, but I decide whether or not I want to sign up for it.

Our resort is always looking for volunteer firemen, which as I understand it is supporting the professionals by doing things like hooking up the hoses--not by running into burning buildings on minimal training. And ambulance drivers for the rescue squad. I feel a bit guilty, but I just don't feel like committing my time to that. Maybe I should stop feeling guilty. A lot of the ambulance driving is during ski season. I think the resort should be handling this. Pretty sure they fund or donate a lot but they could provide the drivers as well.

I volunteer at a couple of local community groups on their finance boards. My main activity is "the guy who fixes the spreadsheets". I like to play with math and figures, and am amazed at how much it still frightens people to deal with them. Some of these spreadsheets were built in toturous ways that I have been able to replace with basic formulas and "amazing" (to them) functions like importing external data instead of manually keying it in. On average it takes me less than a day a week, and the nerd in me finds it fun.

I volunteer at a couple of local community groups on their finance boards. My main activity is "the guy who fixes the spreadsheets". I like to play with math and figures, and am amazed at how much it still frightens people to deal with them. Some of these spreadsheets were built in toturous ways that I have been able to replace with basic formulas and "amazing" (to them) functions like importing external data instead of manually keying it in. On average it takes me less than a day a week, and the nerd in me finds it fun.
Ha! You'd probably hate me. I took over as treasurer of a small non-profit club and the guy before me used importing a lot. It drove me crazy that every time I opened a spreadsheet to check something it'd take forever to load. I didn't change the old ones, but I didn't import on the new. The old treasurer may not be happy, but he wasn't good at recording and tracking everything, or doing it wrong, plus he let things slide, like filing our 990Ns. I had to deal with getting our non-profit status reinstated. I'm pretty certain the rest of the board is happier with me because of that, and because I'm more transparent about reporting our financial situation after each event, and year end rather than just reporting bank balance. Most of our activity is around a few events rather than ongoing activity. I don't track how much time it takes, but I like playing with numbers and spreadsheets (even if I don't know all the tricks), and we're in good shape.

My first thought was to vote zero because I have no in-person volunteering, but I'm a committer on a few open source projects and lead on two projects. I've shunned any earning potential, even though it's there, because then it would become a j*b. Oh, and I also "donate" how-to YouTube videos. And have started donating time to help keep this site healthy. So my zero volunteering first thought turned around quickly when screen based efforts were included. I like that there's no schedule at all with this kind of stuff. I've always been afraid that an in-person activity manager would need to "put me on the schedule", and that's something I just can't accept (yet?)

+100 on spreadsheets. I volunteer doing the statistics for a food kitchen. Every week they would e-mail me the sign in sheets. I had to enter the name, gender, age and ethnicity of between 300 and 600 people.
Every month i had to give a report of how many in each category. I found out the pivot tables were my friend:D
I also have two books on Excel that I refer to occasionally when I want to do something exotic, like lookup tables

When my friend was in a nursing home we took 2 of our old dogs every week. The people and the dogs enjoyed it. When she died we quit going because it was a hour drive each way. The old dogs are now gone too.

I have been a moderator here since 2007. I've also been a commissioner on the historic district commission where I live since 2007. Since 2004, I have managed my church's $3 million endowment fund. I've also been on almost every church committee and was chair of the music committee for six years.

As I slide into retirement, I intend to gradually shed load. I don't mind helping out, but I don't want to be responsible anymore and don't want to attend meetings. To that end, I have recruited a new victim to manage the church endowment (we are technically co-managers, but I am gradually fading away and he will soon be the sole manager). I recently declined appointment to any church committees and I will not continue as a historic district commissioner when my current term ends in December. By 2020, I hope to be down to just my moderator duties here.

My volunteer gig is helping in the Finance dept at our food bank one afternoon a week. The paid staff is small and many of their volunteers are good for data input and clerical tasks, but not more than that. I get to do analysis, audit other’s work, reconcile accounts, recommend process improvements. I love it. It’s a win/win for both of us. I get to play in excel and they get some experienced help for free. I never felt appreciated or valued in my working years like I do now. They also never bat an eye when I take a week or three off for our travel, even at year end.

I have found this too with my spreadsheet work with people outside my (former) working world. I was around average at my old office when it came to worksheet skills. Many of the younger coworkers began with good worksheet skills and were sometimes already better than me. But to those on my co-op board, being able to automate much of the elections process and quorum determination with fairly simple (to me) spreadsheets simply amazed them. And getting these tasks done quickly impressed them.

In my school Scrabble work, the spreadsheet I developed to keep track of all the game results and determine the pairings for each round was more complex, but still fairly simple (for me) to handle. Being able to use that spreadsheet to quickly determine the next round's pairings under some time pressure often amazed the teacher/coaches.

And the nerd in me found both of these tasks fun. :cool:

Wow, some of these unpaid gigs seem like lots of w*rk! We mentor 20 somethings at church. Honestly, it’s just hanging out over coffee or a meal and chatting about life. We attend most of the church social functions and often cook for pot lucks. This is a bit of a challenge since l’m somewhat introverted and dislike schedules. We also “guide” for a local outdoors club. All this social stuff is very rewarding but still time consuming. I can’t imagine doing administrative stuff like others do here. Now that real w*rk, but unpaid!

I don't mind helping out, but I don't want to be responsible anymore and don't want to attend meetings.

I add to this criteria that I do not accept keys to anything. I only want to be a worker bee, and a very independent one at that...slide in, do my thing, slide out.

I don't mind helping out, but I don't want to be responsible anymore and don't want to attend meetings.

The people in my church are mostly NOT good at controlling meetings. No timed agenda, letting discussions get off-topic, etc. As a volunteer, I've politely walked out after things dragged on too long and said, "I have to get going". The most recent was a "short meeting after church" that had gone on for an hour and 20 minutes.

I really like the monthly Finance Committee meetings because there's a "hard stop" after an hour due to a subsequent meeting that many have to attend. I can just go home.

I just finished my first & last case as a CASA (court appointed special advocate for a foster child). It was rewarding, but quite draining- about 20 hrs a wk & cost of gas (no reimbursement/ 3000 miles tracked in Optima). Plus I worried a lot about things I could not control and you'd have sudden commitments for court & other meetings that I'd have to move my schedule around to accommodate others. I will still volunteer there but event related only. DH's going through some serious medical issues, so now I'm his special advocate.

Previously we were volunteering for a rescue organization cleaning cat cages at Petsmart. I'll probably do that again at some point, but now I am on vacation from volunteering outside of the home.

I have had foster beagles come and go since I retired 5 years ago. Some are easy,
some not. It's rewarding to help them find a new home and they make me laugh.

Volunteering

I have tried to volunteer but no luck. I get on volunteer boards online but they require expertise that I don’t possess. I tried to volunteer twice at an elementary school but no calls. I thought schools always needed help but I guess not. I especially wanted to be a chaperone for field trips since I wasn’t able to do that when my kids were in school due to work. I then tried Habitat for Humanity because I like helping people and getting my hands dirty but no response from them either. I was very disappointed especially since I donate money to them. Reading is my passion and I’ve always felt terrible when I hear about adults that can’t read. I discovered a literacy program that needed volunteers to teach. I was excited until I was told about the huge time commitment. This would interfere with our RVing adventures. Again disappointment. I wanted to do CASA but don’t know if I can emotionally handle that. I knew someone who did CASA and the child she was advocating for begged to go home with her. I need to use my brain! But I could never do what all of you do — spreadsheets, committees and running HOAs. Nope. Don’t know where to go from here.

I've done the nonprofit boards and the church meeting stuff. I'm pretty much done with that. Too much like w*rk. And church meetings are the worst, as described above. Done.

I'm now down to blue collar work in hurricane relief or Habitat builds. Get my hands dirty, meet new people, etc. I do it one day or 5 per month, my choice. I don't want it to become w*rk.

Last edited:
I have tried to volunteer but no luck...
This is a problem that many organizations have! You are not alone in running into this.

As for board service, you have to make connections somehow at a base level. You'll eventually get invited if you present yourself well. Might take a year or two of keeping that connection. Generally, you don't just sign up for a board. I've done quite a bit of handyman kind of work for a few organizations and they eventually graduate to asking me to serve on the board. No thanks! Just let me fix the toilet. I'll be happier. And BTW, I've served on a board quite a while ago where we invited a somewhat random person we didn't know well. That was a disaster. Turns out we invited a domineering politician into our midst.

One of our local organizations (I'd rather not name them just yet) had an urgent call for volunteers. I followed their directions. An auto reply came back and said, "You'll be contacted shortly." Nope. Tried again. Nope.

Don't ask for volunteers if you can't give them a straight answer. Very Bad Form.

Now, as for Habitat... They have really gotten organized compared to years ago. Typically, you go to their web site, sign off on some liability stuff, and sign up for a slot. Then you show up, they check you off, and you get to work. At least that is the way it works in the two Habitats here in central NC. Easy.

I poked around in Maryland, where you may be, and I see a dearth of work on their schedules. I only see Restore work. (No thank you.) You may have just tried to connect at a dry time.

Last edited:
I have done volunteer tax work for AARP / Taxaide for 7 years now. It takes about 40 hours of prep each year and then 15 hours a week during the tax season.

8 months into ER, nada. Have been focused on cleaning up my fixer-upper, hauling brush, junk, etc to the dump. Have signed up to become a certified Master Naturalist and expect to start training in the Fall. Expect about 10 hours/month after that. Look forward to engaging in a field I’m passionate about with like minded people.

Just signed up for the state fair EAA booth. I think over 2MM people attend, usually over 100k a day. I will be helping the kiddo's build things like rockets and spreading the good word on aviation. Went to the local airshow, and Oshkosh with the boy this year, he had a great time.

Volunteering does not need to be a one-sided deal. For me, the key is moderation as is everything. I've done things like volunteer as Santa Claus, Food Bank, Salvation Army Bell ringing, and other various veteran's related events/causes.

My hope is to find some sort of Veterans volunteer gig at the fair for next year, sort of networking through the EAA volunteering this year. Plus, maybe hoping to meet fun people and support the aviation community! DF and my BIL might sign up, we shall see. I think I get free admission as well which is like a $15 value.

I am not retired and volunteered 8 hours per week for 3 years at the Dept of Veterans Affairs. It feels amazing spending your time with veterans and helping the country. You do not know the value, network, and positive vibes/spiritual thoughts/feelings when doing this.

If you have not volunteered try it and you might be surprised how much you like it.

Back
Top Bottom