Poll:Volunteering

How many hours a week do you volunteer ?

• Zero, nada, nil

Votes: 73 42.7%
  • 1 - 5

Votes: 59 34.5%
  • 6 - 10

Votes: 28 16.4%
  • 11 - 15

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • 16 - 20

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • 20+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Took a couple of young kids out kayaking on the big lake. Normally we just tolerate “guiding” as part of out “community service”, but it was actually a blast! We don’t do meetings, training, leadership, or administrative nonsense though because I get bad flashbacks!

?..and don't want to attend meetings.

I've steadfastly refused to attend meetings in connection with my volunteer activities over 15+ years. I recently weakened and attended a meeting for the ESL organization for whom I tutor. Guess what? Meetings haven't gotten any better. :facepalm:

I finished a six year term (well, 2 -3-year terms) as President of a local band and am President of a local music club. I play music in some community bands but that doesn't count as volunteering. My life is an open book right now as I just really retired. I want to do fun things and have low stress for awhile. I've earned it.

I've always served on non-profit boards, even when I was working full time. They satisfy my need to feed my soul. Now that I am retired I have a paid ~20 hour a month job doing financial work for a Preservation organization and serve as a volunteer on an environmental philanthropy board. Neither takes a lot of time but both are very gratifying.

Last edited:
When working I was a city CERT volunteer and citizens on patrol COPS volunteer. Being retired, I now serve as as HOA board member and president. The later is not nearly as rewarding as the prior volunteering efforts, but being in a relatively new community, making the community more attractive after board control by the developer has provided some sense of accomplishment.

Back
Top Bottom