• Depends on my spouse/partner; I get whatever side is empty

Votes: 8 3.5%
  • Mostly the same side, but may be different travelling

Votes: 71 31.4%
  • Random, we just get into bed and don't think about it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There may be a reason DW sleeps on the side she does, but I'm not aware of what it might be.

Back when I used to sleep with beautiful young women (I was young, too), I was always on the left side from the foot of the bed because I'm right-handed (Whoops! That's TMI for this group! :hide: ).

Nowadays I sleep alone, which guarantees a good night's sleep.

BTW: a woman I slept with many years ago snored like a longshoreman. It was incredible. :eek:

Back when I used to sleep with beautiful young women (I was young, too), I was always on the left side from the foot of the bed because I'm right-handed (Whoops! That's TMI for this group! :hide: ).

Nowadays I sleep alone, which guarantees a good night's sleep.

BTW: a woman I slept with many years ago snored like a longshoreman. It was incredible. :eek:

How many longshoremen did you sleep with? You know, to be in a position to compare.

Always sleep3 on my husband's right side - that's the ear he can hear from. Although when we travel, he has to ask me which side is his.

When I was growing up my sister and I shared a queen sized bed. She and I discussed our "side of the bed" and discovered that we both STILL sleep on the same side as we did when we were kids - only now we have a husband occupying the other side instead of a sister. So I've been sleeping on the same side of the bed for just about all my life.

Back when I used to sleep with beautiful young women (I was young, too), I was always on the left side from the foot of the bed because I'm right-handed (Whoops! That's TMI for this group!).
Well, it's a very good reason because there's only two things to do in bed, and only one of them matters if you're right or left handed.

I'm single and thought that the poll would not apply, but my lab sleeps in the bed with me so I'll take him into consideration. I try to sleep on the same side, but sometimes he settles in and takes my regular position. Also with a dog as many of you know, they think their half is actually in the middle. Who knew a king size bed would be so small? lol :LOL:

Same. I usually have to push him to the other side so I can sleep on my normal side. Ha.

Single also, but just want to observe that in hotels, I take the side furthest from the air conditioning. If I can get away with turning AC off, I do.

Blind in right eye, so my side is the left (for snuggling on our backs). Anything else feels kinky.

At home, always the same side. When travel, most of the time there are 2 beds. DW takes whatever one she prefers. I have yet to find a pattern.

There are a couple of problems with this idea.

1) Changing the sheets is challenging. It's really not fun at all.

2) Though the separation between mattresses is minimal, you will lose a ton of intimacy. That little separation eliminates the occasional back rub, head rub, etc.. Trust me on this. It really does make a difference.

+1

The Beautiful Princess and I both sleep poorly, and with some separation in a king bed. But being able to put my hand on her arm in the middle of the night makes it feel like we're not sleeping in separate beds.

I have always slept on the door side with spouse to my left if both on our backs hence door to my right if on my back. Same reasoning as to walking closest to curb to protect my cuddly one.

Feels strange if hotel bed has door to my left if on my back. Have actually moved pillow to foot of bed a few times at a hotel.

Was at a hotel in vegas alone once, door to foot of the bed.. you guessed it I slept sideways there.

+1

The Beautiful Princess and I both sleep poorly, and with some separation in a king bed. But being able to put my hand on her arm in the middle of the night makes it feel like we're not sleeping in separate beds.

Lena always seems to move just when I've fallen asleep, and this used to wake me up until I found a solution: Not two mattresses, but two duvet covers. The problem wasn't the mattress that was jiggling, it was the movement of the bedclothes.

bMZntQu.png

PS Above, I meant that I sleep with my left side toward the center of the bed.

Last edited:
I'm surprised that so far no one has mentioned choosing a side because of health issues.

After always sleeping on the left side of the bed, I switched to sleeping on the right many years ago due to sinus issues. It got so I could hardly breathe when sleeping on my left side. Since I slept only on my back or (mainly) my right side, the right side of the bed became more comfortable.

However, I started using fluticasone propionate nasal spray recently, which has cleared up my sinuses to the point where I'm finding myself sleeping on my left side (probably my body's preference) on occasion -- not enough, though, to warrant asking my spouse to switch sides.

Because of my DW's past vision (she wore contacts for a *long* time), we usually slept with her closest to the bathroom for any night visits she might have needed and in the morning to put in her contacts. With the two houses we owned in California, it was the same side. Now, if we went on vacation, that side could be different.

We're now in Texas, and in both the house we rented and the house we purchased, that side is further away from the bathroom. Part of this is now habit, and part of it is the cataracts eye surgery DW had in the spring of 2018. Her vision is good enough to not need correction for driving or reading (although really small text benefits from some reading glasses).

Nope, we use the same system, DH gets the bathroom access side. That's fine with me ?

DH ALWAYS gets right side . I tried to switch a few years back when I began taking medication at 4 am . I found out it was a no go ! I try not to sweat the small stuff. We all have our weird rules......

I've no spouse to quibble with about this; but I take the side closest to the door. I have two bathrooms to choose from, the MBath in front of my bed and one in the hall right outside my door. I usually choose the hall bath.

bed

Yup, took one night 35 years ago to figure it out. Always the same side wherever we are.:D

Always give my wife the option of sleeping closest to the bathroom when we travel. It’s my one example of chivalry.

Same here, traveling or at home. When we moved a few years ago, the bathroom ended up being on the other side, so we switched.

You need at least 2 other choices! I sleep on whichever side the door is on, but I know at least one friend that sleeps on whatever side the bathroom is on.

Another choice: we consciously switch sides every 2-7 days. We read somewhere that this is one of those things that help one’s neuroplasticity — gotta keep the brain adapting in order to keep it healthy ;)

Back
Top Bottom