Pop up camper info

Fishing Bridge campground at Yellowstone, and Lake Loiuse at Banff in Canada.
It has been a sales ploy for upselling hard sided campers too. :)

Take a look at the Aliner camper. There is a whole cult following and camping group. Friends parents have one. Instead of canvas top, opens like an A frame house with hard top. Don’t think it has bathroom, but where we camp, we have electricity and bath/shower houses. They pull behind an older ford truck, not sure if you need it. Just a suggestion

My husband and I owned pop ups for probably 30 years. Loved it. But it had a time and place for us. As I got older, I hated that everything I wanted out of it was in a cabinet, below my knees ;-) Also, if it rained we had to open it back up when we got home to let it dry. We did end up trading up to small travel trailers. We currently have a 21’ travel trailer and it seems plush to us. One nice thing about a tt is you can load the refrigerator at home, versus taking a cooler with your items and then transferring to refrigerator once you’ve reached your destination and the pop up is open. Just my thoughts. Hope it helps.

You may not be interested in this option, but here’s what we do. We have a pop up camper on our truck-no towing ( which we prefer). It’s a Four Wheel Camper brand Fleet model mounted on our Toyota Tacoma. We travel with our cat, and we can leave her in the camper when hiking. There is a used Fourwheel camper page on Facebook, and people often sell the truck and camper as a combo. Not cheap, certainly way more than a pop up trailer, but just wanted to suggest it as an option. Happy camping! IMG_6714.jpg

Am considering buying a used, pop up camper. Just thinking it through. Anyone with any tips/advice (good/bad) please? Have a medium sized SUV and cannot pull heavy trailers-one of the reasons to look at pop-ups.

If you like basic, take a look at the Sylvan Go. Very light, doubles as a 4x8 trailer/hauler with tilt bed.

Liked the one we had, but FL is no place for a tent camper.

I agree with recommendation to look into the A frame style popups.

Another option is the fiberglass trailers that are lightweight and easy to tow. Little bigger than the A frame popups. Being molded fiberglass body, they have rounded corners and no seams. So much less water leak concerns. Plus they tow nice. Drawback is cost.

I have a medium sized SUV also. I specifically got it with the hitch installed at the factory. then when I went looking at small campers, I found out that cannot legally tow ANY camper. this is because it had the 5-pin wiring, not the 7-pin wiring. So unless I modify my car. I am out of luck.
But, I just found a line of tents that are quicker to set up than any old pop up - https://gazelletents.com

They sell a 7 pin to 5 pin, you just wouldn't have breaks or a charging line. Some pop ups , the lighter ones would be ok for you. The gazelle is a decent company. I have thier pop up screen room for 5 years now.

We tent camped before kids, then bought a used popup when kis were 8 - 15, then bought a pull behind RV, after kids graduated HS we bought a new 5 Wheel and truck, when we retired bought a lot in an RV resort and we traded in the 5 Wheel for a park model and bought a small used 5 Wheel. We are now RV less after buying our lake property and selling our 5 Wheel, and big truck, and the RV resort lot and park model RV and buying a house in Gulf Shores. Saying all that I would not get a popup if you are over a certain age they are a lot of work setting up and taking down.

I have a medium sized SUV also. I specifically got it with the hitch installed at the factory. then when I went looking at small campers, I found out that cannot legally tow ANY camper. this is because it had the 5-pin wiring, not the 7-pin wiring. So unless I modify my car. I am out of luck.
But, I just found a line of tents that are quicker to set up than any old pop up - https://gazelletents.com

Here is Washington State's law on trailer brakes, FYI. Most states are similar in the intent.

"Any trailer whose gross weight is over 3,000 pounds must be equipped with a device that will automatically apply the brakes in case of a breakaway. Trailers with a gross weight of 3,000 pounds or less must be equipped with brakes if the weight of the trailer(s) exceeds 40 percent of the weight of the towing vehicle."

The 40% rule is common.

Flagstaff makes new trailers so you can use their site for weights.
https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/flagstaff-tent/176LTD/6091

One reason for not tenting is getting down on the ground. Folding cots solves that problem.
Our other reason is to avoid the mad dash to the campground toilet in the morning.
A cassette toilet solves that either in a pop up or on the ground.

What does "medium-sized SUV" mean specifically?

First, the weight rating of the hitch means very little. Just because a 3,500 lb hitch is installed does not mean you can tow 3,500 lbs safely. It just means that is the maximum weight for the hitch.

Second, the "towing capacity" in brochures and advertising means very little with regard to how much you can safely tow. Ever hear of the phrase "What the big print gives the small print takes away."?

With most tow vehicles ALL weight you add into the tow vehicle (your SUV) needs to be subtracted from the weight you can actually tow. If your "towing capacity" is 3,500 lbs, for example, and you add 1,000 lbs of people and stuff you may have just reduced your maximum towing capacity to 2,500 lbs. BUT if your SUV's payload was only 1,500 lbs to start with and you add 1,000 lbs of people and stuff, you can easily run out of payload and be overloading your SUV.

Another issue is the axle ratings of the SUV, the GAWR or "gross axle weight rating". That is how much weight each axle can carry maximum including the SUV itself and everything in it. When you tow a trailer the "tongue" pushes down on the hitch as what's known as "tongue weight". The tongue weight is weight carried by the rear axle as well as the SUV and things in it.

If you are towing a 2,000 lb trailer (actual weight) then the tongue weight needs to be between 200 and 300 lbs for stable towing, or 10% to 15% of the trailer actual weight.

The critical term is the "payload" of the SUV and that will change with each model and optional equipment. What you add into the SUV, including people and tongue weight is part of the payload.

Yeah, confusing as heck and that's not even all of the considerations.

As a general rule I would not try to tow a trailer that had a GVWR of more than 1/2 to 1/3rd of the SUV's hitch or tow rating, whichever is less.

If you want more info you can create an account on this Social Knowledge LLC site using the exact same email address and password as you use here. Both sites are owned by the same company so their software will find your account here and streamline the process.

iRV2: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f45/

On the driver door frame of the SUV there will be stickers showing various weights such as GVWR, GCWR, and GAWR. If you post a picture of that sticker people on that iRV2 forum can give you a much better idea of what length and weight of pop-up could be safely towed.

There are also "stickies" at the top of that link if you want to read more or do the calcs yourself.

One VERY important item: NEVER trust an RV salesman about what you can tow safely. NEVER. You can take their advice but always do the math yourself. Many a person has rolled their truck or SUV and RV trying to tow a trailer that was too large. YouTube is full of those videos from dashcams.

On the plus side we started with a 10' pop-up and had great times with it for close to a decade.

Good luck.

I think CampWorld can install the 7-pin, and I’ll bet for less than the dealership, if you don’t feel up to doing that yourself.

You will probably need a brake controller in an SUV. Most newer pickups have integrated brake controllers, but they also have the 7 pin connector.
Tekonsha is the long standing name in brake controllers, but do not purchase the latest Prodigy 3.
I have that in my truck and find it to be generally a PITA.
The work truck I installed a Prodigy 2 in and it is much more intuitive and quicker to set up.
https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-Towing-Brake-Control-Prodigy/dp/B07DPVBFZ3/ref=asc_df_B07DPVBFZ3/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309802461542&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7150846224329475730&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033433&hvtargid=pla-609394093577&psc=1

All of them are a simple 4 wire installation at the front of the vehicle, and require the blue wire at the back in the connector.
What makes the 2 better than the 3?
The 3 requires that you tap a little button to change the braking force value, then once you get it where you think you want it you have to confirm it with another button push.
The 2 is a simple wheel where you dial the brake force up and down.
They both use the same linear inertia sensor technology to dynamically adjust braking forces.
Those fiddly buttons are nothing to mess with while driving, but dialing the wheel up or down is easy peasy.
I have to haul loaded and empty trailers and different trailers that require adjustments, and that wheel is the bomb.

I understand that - and in Colorado that would be illegal to tow w/o brakes.

Colorado has similar laws for trailer brakes:

"f you are hauling a trailer or semi-trailer with a weight of 3,000 pounds or more, your trailer must have its own brakes. The trailer must be designed such that the brakes work automatically if the trailer breaks away from the primary vehicle"

I got it from a lawyer's website, LOL.
https://tengelaw.com/blog/colorado-trailer-towing-laws/#:~:text=with%20these%20requirements.-,Brakes,away%20from%20the%20primary%20vehicle.

Depends on the pup you get. Some are 1500lbs, some aren't. If you get a smaller version withouth all the bells and wistles, you can tow it with out brakes. As long as it legal to do so. But that also depends on your tv. In Colorado, and going up and down steep inclines, best to have brakes, in say Florida or towing on more flatland, you dont need them as much. But as stated, depends on the camper you have and the tv. Some tow glorified tents around. Just a box with a bed and a tent on it.

Pop-up campers are great when:
1) planning to stay at destinations for a while, not moving around a lot
2) camping in 55F (night) to 85F (mid-day) temp ranges (shade preferably when hot). Need electric not only for AC, but for furnace if it is run excessively as the blower will eat battery amps like nothing else. Canvas sides have no insulation value.
3) not needing to access on long travel days (can’t pull into rest area and cook a meal)
4) tow vehicle capacity is limited. However, large units can be quite heavy - similar weight to small hybrid campers. Tongue weight is as critical as total packed gross weight of camper.
4) for camping in quiet locations as noise from others comes right through the canvas.
5) if camping in less rainy conditions. Not the best choice for temperate rainforests, IMO.

Don’t get me wrong, I like pop ups for many reasons. They just have limitations, like every type of RV out there. Depends upon what your use is.

Many thanks to all who checked in. Sorry to take so long to get back, but for some reason I was not being notified of new comments on my email. I will try to read up once a week from now on. B

We tent camped for years. Then one weekend we were camping with friends and a really bad storm came up and blew the tent down and we had to spend the night in car. DW said enough already so we started looking at popups. My step brother called one day and said he was coming down and had something I might like. He was living in Ill. at the time. Anyway he came down that weeknd with a pop up he had traded for that was just a 6x6 box with to slide out beds and an Aframed canvas top. Some one had built a small 2ft square box inside for storage. I gave him $150.00 for it and we used that thing for 3 more years until it started leaking a lot at the seams even with keeping "water repellant" on it. But after we found a good 1 yr. old Coleman popup I sold that old one for $100.00 so I didn't really lose much. The Coleman was bigger with a pop up kitchen(stove &sink), & a cassette potty. Queen bed 1 end & king bed on the other, we were living large,LOL. We used that one for 6 years until my daughter was a senior in high school and by then too old to camp with old folks. then we were camping in NC and my DW spotted some used "stand up campers" as she called them, for sale in a guys yard. We stopped she loved one of them we traded in the Coleman & the guy helped me install a hitch on my truck in his shop so we could pull it home. We used it for a couple of years then traded up again. We still love camping but now we have a 5th wheel with 2 A/c,3 slide outs, full kitchen, ect. We don't camp we glamp now, but no way I would go back to the put up take down of a popup, but for a young family it was great. I'll always remember the 1st "tent on wheels" we had, because I was thrilled to not be sleeping on the ground anymore!

There are so many parallels in your story to ours.
I've been camping on the Oregon coast when our tent blew down on us twice before we finished the night in the cars.
Our Coleman was that exact same combo with the huge front bed and spot for the cassette toilet. for us it was both getting off the ground and not having to get dressed to run to the bathroom.

Back
Top Bottom