Possibly Unfortunate Development

Dwhit

Recycles dryer sheets
Ok, I live in Oklahoma, and I am ready to retire later this year in my fifties. Since I am not elligible for medicare yet, I was planning on using COBRA as needed and/or to purchase a private health insurance plan for me and my family (wife and one daughter in college).

The problem is I went into the doctor for a check-up and he said I have Type 2 diabetes. So I am losing weight and exercising, etc. but I am now worried about getting health insurance. I had budgeted for around $12 thousand a year based on what I could find online before this happened. Now I have no idea what it would cost or even if I can get it at all now. I can still get the COBRA, but it will not last long enough. I think Obamacare should help in getting insurance, but I am not sure how much it could cost. Any estimates on what I should budget for?

Thanks

Diabetes or not, you will pay the same with Obamacare, and you are guaranteed to get insurance. So, relax.

I have no idea what it will cost you, but since existing conditions do not count, you do not have to worry about diabetes (other than trying to reverse it of course).

I do have existing private insurance, but do not know about its continuation. Even if it is grandfathered, I will look into Obamacare to see what is a better deal. From what I have read here, people said Obamacare will not be more expensive. I probably will keep the current policy for a year for the dust to settle.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your condition. The good news is there is a lot you can do to improve your health with diet and exercize.

For health care, you can use the KFF or Berkeley calculators for a rough estimate of cost.
Subsidy Calculator | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation.
National Health Care Calculator

Your state exchange will open enrollment in a couple of months, and then you will have more policies to choose from, but as NW-Bound pointed out, you are guaranteed coverage.

Thanks for the Info! The calculator tools show around $15k to $17k for a silver plan, which is in the ballpark of what I was budgeting for. It is really good to know that coverage is guaranteed. :dance::dance:

Last edited:
Dwhit, thanks for your service. Two or three years ago my doctor told me the same thing. My weight had got up close to 250 and I spent all day on my keyboard. I started eating better [I gave up sugar] and doing exercise. I'm down to 230 and my sugar is alright for now. I make sure I eat something green everyday. I try to walk a mile everyday at work. [there is heat or ac, and I'm getting paid]

Take care of yourself, so you can have a long time to enjoy your retirement.

Thanks Larro. It sounds like you took it seriously, and are following the guidance they give you. Kudos to you. I am trying to do the same. I am down about 15 pounds since I found out about three weeks ago.

Its kind of funny that one of the main things I wanted to do when I retired early was to lose weight and get in shape. I guess I am just jump starting that effort a little earlier than I thought.

I may have a diet suggestion for you. I'm not overweight but having a desk job and a busy life I've been getting a pot/beer belly (I don't even drink!). In fact, I've always been fit my whole life but I guess age really catches up as you get closer to the 40s and beyond. The eye opener for me was watching 'Fat, sick and nearly dead' on Netflix one day. Watch it and start 'juicing' the green stuff :) Surprisingly the taste is very tolerable...and I'm the guy who equates eating salads to munching grass. After just substituting the green juice for dinner and walking for 20mins with my dog everyday I 'feel' so much better! Good luck.

Hey sorry to hear about the health issue. Don't beat yourself up about this. Two family members of mine also were diagnosed with type 2. They reacted by huge diet changes and became very active. It took a couple years but they are now really fit. Each lost almost 100 lbs.
They need almost no medical intervention at all now. Their doctors say that if they maintain a healthy BMI, watch their diet , and keep active they will live to a full life expectancy.
I guess they used the diagnosis to change their life for the better.

Back
Top Bottom