Post your favorite 70s/80's one hit wonders here.

These keep popping in my head - this thread may be addictive.

Edie Brickell & New Bohemians - What I Am

Edie Brickell also happens to be married to Paul Simon.

These keep popping in my head - this thread may be addictive.

Edie Brickell & New Bohemians - What I Am
Great song! Fascinating lyrics.

I'm not aware of too many things
I know what I know, if you know what I mean.

Philosophy is the talk on a cereal box
Religion is the smile on a dog

Philosophy is a walk on the slippery rocks
Religion is a light in the fog

Choke me in the shallow water
Before I get too deep

What I am is what I am
Are you what you are or what?

A #1 one hit wonder. We used to call this the "tweety bird love song" due to the chirping songbirds. Minnie Riperton was the mother of actress Maya Rudolph, and had a incredible vocal range demonstrated on this song. Sadly, she was diagnosed with cancer soon after this was a hit, and recorded for a few more years before dying in 1979:

Great thread. The Jay Fergusson entry reminded me of Jo Jo Gunne's only top 40 hit.

I'm not talking to myself. Really. But Jay Fergusson and Mark Andes of Jo Jo Gunne reminded me of this song when they were in a band with Randy California. AFAIK, it's Spirit's only top 40 hit. It was actually in 1969, but I like the song so it's close enough. :)

Drivers Seat by Sniffin Tears.
Just catching up on this thread, so not sure if already mentioned.

Lonely Boy by Andrew Gold

This song was sampled for the "Men in Black" movie theme song. I may have mentioned here pointing out to a group of teenagers, when the movie came out, that the music of the movie song was from an "old" record, they were surprised so I played them the original, Jazz & R&B artist Patrice Rushen's only crossover hit (In the movie theme song, they changed the line "help me to remember" to "they won't let you remember" :)):

Baby come back....great song!

Player had a couple of other hits (though they did not top the charts like Baby Come Back): "This Time I'm In It For Love" and "Prisoner of Your Love".

Anyone heard of Marc Tanner Band? I think he may have been a West Coaster with his One hit being Elena. Below is a video threesome from the band at no additional charge....:D
They put out two albums...Love them both.

Marc Tanner Band - Never Again, Elena, She's So High from 1979.

Ariel by Dean Friedman. His sister was in my high school class.

This showed up on that YouTube link: :LOL:
Wow, what a blast from the past. The hair too!

Fun song! But definitely not a 1HW. They also had Manic Monday, and Hazy Shade of Winter, both reaching #2 on the charts. I still do the Egyptian Walk at inappropriate times.

Yeah the Bangles had several songs I liked, not just one.

I'm not talking to myself. Really. But Jay Fergusson and Mark Andes of Jo Jo Gunne reminded me of this song when they were in a band with Randy California. AFAIK, it's Spirit's only top 40 hit. It was actually in 1969, but I like the song so it's close enough. :)

I was a huge Spirit fan, for the few years they were around. I was just listening to the The Twelve Dreams of Doctor Sardonicus a couple of weeks ago. I never understood how Jimmy Page won the lawsuit Randy California brought. If you listen to Taurus, you can hear that Page stole the intro to Stairway to Heaven directly from California. Anyway, thanks for the memories.

Most of my fav's have been posted already but here are a few more (I have no idea why that emoji was inserted below):

Tarzan Boy by Baltimora

Major Tom by Peter Schilling

and Somebody's Watching Me by Rockwell

This song did not make it into the Billboard pop top 50. However, you have likely heard this song multiple times at almost *every* wedding or celebration event since the late 80s, and you likely danced (or tried to dance :)) the Electric Slide to it. Right? Right??

Back
Top Bottom