Prenuptial Agreement

because it shows commitment?

All it shows is that you can pay the $10 and get a license. The divorce and adultry rate proves it.

Other than the moral stuff, depending on where you live, this won't help. Once you cohabitat for a period of time, he/she can take half anyway...

Not in MN, after 27 years of living with the same GF, it takes more than just living together. Otherwise two college roommates would be considered married.

............Not in MN, after 27 years of living with the same GF, it takes more than just living together. Otherwise two college roommates would be considered married.
Yea, particularly now that same sex marriage is legal there.

Yea, particularly now that same sex marriage is legal there.

It's legal everywhere. And now it will be the thing that people will remember "you got what you wished for"...

There are the beginnings of same-sex divorce, which hopefully be the start of a more equal divorce settlements for everyone.

A sad story, but I had an old college friend who setup a prenup to protect his fiancee.

A younger relative had "borrowed" his car w/o my friend's knowledge & caused an accident which permanently crippled the driver of the other car.

Since my friend didn't want to report his relative for auto theft, he (and future spouse) would have been on the hook for any damages awarded above insurance limits w/o the prenup.

The above is yet another reason why I will always carry an umbrella policy.

Should I or any other member of my family accidentally cause something as horrible as the above I want the injured party to receive a halfway-decent settlement.

It's legal everywhere. And now it will be the thing that people will remember "you got what you wished for"...

There are the beginnings of same-sex divorce, which hopefully be the start of a more equal divorce settlements for everyone.
I was actually joking. I can just see some poor kid coming home to tell his parents that since he shared a dorm room at college, he is now considered to be married to the guy.

Last edited:
What you miss is that in some areas palimony suits are easy to bring and perhaps win.

Washington is one of these.

Ha

I can assure you of one thing, "You can sue anyone for anything", and "Once you get in to court, especially family court, anything can happen and probably will".

Ok, that's two things.

If my son told me he was going to do a prenup with his then fiance( now wife), I would have told him he didnt really love and trust her. In reality Im sure its a wise move for many people. But in my minds eye I cant get around it as sort of hedging your bet.

If my son told me he was going to do a prenup with his then fiance( now wife), I would have told him he didnt really love and trust her. In reality Im sure its a wise move for many people. But in my minds eye I cant get around it as sort of hedging your bet.
Hedging a bet? Not at all in my case. It's nothing more than an insurance policy of sorts. When folks stay married 'until death', it's a useless piece of paper...but when things go down the drain, it can be a good thing to have. I have been with my DW since 2006 and we've never even discussed it and I have never had any thoughts about, 'Hey! I have a prenup...let's get divorced!'

I had nearly nothing when I got married and she had less than nothing (debts). We discussed the idea of a prenup including splitting everything 50/50 if we ever broke up.

But since we had so little, we decided against the prenup. It was a terrible mistake.

The person you thought you knew well enough to marry, may not be the person you are divorcing. With a new midlife crisis and a boyfriend who was experienced in divorce law, she moved to split 90/10 or 100/0 if she could get it. Even with not much original assets to protect, enshrining the idea of a 50/50 split would have saved a lot of hassle and legal fees.

If I ever re-marry, I will insist on a prenup.

Married my husband this July and have been dating him for 7 years before hand. He makes good money with no assets and I have a lot of assets. Didn't think about prenups. Although when we were dating he told me his dad had a talk with him about how marriage are just not a good idea(his dad gone through two divorces) lol just don't rush into anything. And be honest with urself and the other person. Love can be blinding, I had that with my first boyfriend. The breakup was not good at all. Thank god we weren't married, although I would've cuz I was too in love or too stubborn to let it go. I now thank him for breaking up with me. :)

It all depends on how much you value retirement. If you do not mind losing everything, and going back to work, no need for a prenup.

For two people with nothing, a prenup will only pre-negotiate and children issues. A judge will split the money and pensions.

I always wonder why people even get married, especially wen they are beyond the age of having kids.

I've seen it too many times, "real love and trust" turn on a dime, most every marriage is based on love and trust

Actually Blue,
I think the exact opposite especially with the "youngins". If my son told me he was going to get a prenup I would be more shocked that they even had a discussion on finances.

My oldest is 24 and he's got 2 friends who have already been married and divorce before they hit 30 and I really think because the fell into the "love conquers all" trap.

I had nearly nothing when I got married and she had less than nothing (debts). We discussed the idea of a prenup including splitting everything 50/50 if we ever broke up.

But since we had so little, we decided against the prenup. It was a terrible mistake.

The person you thought you knew well enough to marry, may not be the person you are divorcing. With a new midlife crisis and a boyfriend who was experienced in divorce law, she moved to split 90/10 or 100/0 if she could get it. Even with not much original assets to protect, enshrining the idea of a 50/50 split would have saved a lot of hassle and legal fees.

If I ever re-marry, I will insist on a prenup.
The judge gave her more than 50 %?

Actually Blue,
If my son told me he was going to get a prenup I would be more shocked that they even had a discussion on finances.

Yes very true, I still cant believe they(he) grew up, the clock stopped for me when he was about 7, I still tell him to be careful when I hand him a knife "its sharp be careful" hahaha. Its just old habits , I dont even know Im saying these things.

Call me a fool for love

It all depends on how much you value retirement. If you do not mind losing everything, and going back to work, no need for a prenup.

For two people with nothing, a prenup will only pre-negotiate and children issues. A judge will split the money and pensions.

I always wonder why people even get married, especially wen they are beyond the age of having kids.

I've seen it too many times, "real love and trust" turn on a dime...

I keep reading this thread in stunned amazement over the large number of pessimistic views regarding love and marriage. I will take my disagreement with that pessimism to my grave.

Perhaps I am a dinosaur, but I maintain that marriage is a beautiful and miraculous state, and that love endures all things. That many marriages do not last probably says more about our limitations as human beings than it does about the institution.

I know this is a retirement forum, but surely there are concepts more important. Retirement only dates back about three generations; before the 20th century people w*rked until they died.

Marriage, OTOH, dates back as far as civilization itself. I won't be around to collect on the bet, but I'd wager that in a thousand years people will still be marrying. Whether retirement will still be around is another story. See Logan's Run.

This is a forum of pragmatists. Looked at pragmatically, there are a million potential things to go wrong with marriage, and not as many to go wrong without it. So that's probably why.

I keep reading this thread in stunned amazement over the large number of pessimistic views regarding love and marriage.

Love and trust, amazement or not, divorce is a reality that I've firsthand witnessed too many times. Everyone is in love and in full trust when vows are spoken but things change, life is ever evolving and unpredictable

I have a dear friend who is extremely devoted to his religion, recently diagnosed with Narcolepsy where he falls asleep anytime with seizures. He had been married for 18 years with 3 children and his wife filed for divorce because of the disease, she showed no remorse for his sickness, when he would go into an episode she would say that he's faking it.

I have a dear friend who is extremely devoted to his religion, recently diagnosed with Narcolepsy where he falls asleep anytime with seizures. He had been married for 18 years with 3 children and his wife filed for divorce because of the disease, she showed no remorse for his sickness, when he would go into an episode she would say that he's faking it.

:LOL::LOL:, This was her out. She needed an exit plan. She was on her way out already, he just didnt know it.

Back
Top Bottom