Prepaid SIM for Europe

wanaberetiree

Full time employment: Posting here.
Wonder if anybody can share experiences using prepaid SIM Cards in Europe and in particular crossing different countries. I plan traveling in Netherlands, Germany and Czech.

Thx

Most of the time you have to get a SIM for each country and it’s a royal pain.

We switched to T-Mobile a few years ago and our US SIMs work great in Europe and automatically switch at each country which is a total relief.

No experience with SIM cards. Last October, we were in Switzerland, Germany, Austria and Italy for a month. We have AT&T and paid $40 for one month international plan: unlimited text, some amount of data (can't remember amount), additional fee for calling (can't remember but pretty expensive per minute). Our US phone worked in all the countries and automatically switched as we traveled. It worked well for us as we texted a lot, didn't use up the data and called only a little.

No experience with SIM cards. Last October, we were in Switzerland, Germany, Austria and Italy for a month. We have AT&T and paid $40 for one month international plan: unlimited text, some amount of data (can't remember amount), additional fee for calling (can't remember but pretty expensive per minute). Our US phone worked in all the countries and automatically switched as we traveled. It worked well for us as we texted a lot, didn't use up the data and called only a little.

We’ve done this in the past, when it was $30 for a month, worked great. The data was not much, 120MB, but plenty for when we needed detailed directions on Google Maps in city centers.

Our last trip (to Germany) I brought along an old iPhone, bought a prepaid SIM card there and used it with no problems. In that case we had some locals with us so we didn’t need a GPS or lots of data, but there was no problem using the phone.

We switched to T-Mobile a few years ago and our US SIMs work great in Europe and automatically switch at each country which is a total relief.

Same here. I used to be happy buying local SIMs (you normally have to get one in each country) and it's easy -- you can buy them all over.

Then I started just getting the AT&T Passport deal, but that could be expensive depending on how much data you needed.

Now with T-Mobile there's no longer any need to even think about it.

I should mention the T-mobile standard service included in their regular subscription plans is free texting, free low speed data (often higher) and 20c a minute calling. Calling US numbers with WiFi calling is free. Our charges tend to be minuscule.

What’s nice is you are using your regular US number over there and so family or contacts in the US can reach you, and it’s free to them (and to you if you happen to be on WiFi at the moment). The WiFi calling is so good I’ve gotten calls from my doctors office in Europe and it was so clear with no delay I could have been at home in the US.

This last trip I had to spend quite a bit of time on the phone resolving flight issues, an the WiFi calling was a real lifesaver as well as performing so well.

Last edited:
Our last trip (to Germany) I brought along an old iPhone, bought a prepaid SIM card there and used it with no problems. In that case we had some locals with us so we didn’t need a GPS or lots of data, but there was no problem using the phone.

If you visit just one country than it’s not such a pain.

Wonder if anybody can share experiences using prepaid SIM Cards in Europe and in particular crossing different countries. I plan traveling in Netherlands, Germany and Czech.

Most phones these days have a feature called WiFi calling. This routes your call over the data network instead of the voice network.

I've found it works great overseas. If you are, say, in your hotel and they have WiFi available you can make as many calls as you like without using the local telephone network. I even used this on a cruise ship in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.

Of course this doesn't help when you are out roaming around. An international plan or local SIM card is what you need in that case.

Same here. I used to be happy buying local SIMs (you normally have to get one in each country) and it's easy -- you can buy them all over.

Then I started just getting the AT&T Passport deal, but that could be expensive depending on how much data you needed.

Now with T-Mobile there's no longer any need to even think about it.
When we first started in 2013 it was impossible to find the iPhone nanoSIM in Amsterdam and we had to borrow an old phone from my brother. The next year DH got a US T-mobile SIM and signed up for their Simple Choice plan for a month. I got a dumb BLU phone, started with a US cheap prepaid SIM to make sure everything worked, and bought a SIM in the Netherlands which worked well. Didn’t bother in Germany, and got another in Austria which was quite a bit more dicey and confusing but it finally worked. DH had to keep entering a new number for me and the one time we got separated in Vienna he was calling an old number not realizing it!

The next year DH had got a new iPhone and switched to T-Mobile permanently since their WiFi calling resolved our home cell reception problems. I took his old iPhone and bought local SIMs. That was a pain because we had to deal with needing to top up after a 2 week time limit and deal with phone places in smaller cities that didn’t understand what foreign plans Orange supported. I would say total at least 6 hours of prime tourist time was spent getting SIMs and plans (not including the longer pre-trip research time to find my options). In Paris they were well informed, but I still had to take a number and wait quite a while for someone to sell me the plan. Strasbourg they sold me the wrong top-up plan. When I finally figured it out in Colmar the only English speaking employee insisted they didn’t have a top up for my plan. I had to go back the next day with a print out of exactly the top up plan I was trying to buy and one of the non-English speaking employees was then able to sell it to me.

The next year I finally got a new iPhone and switched to T-Mobile, porting my number. It’s been smooth sailing since. Well we did have to call T-mobile customer service in Barcelona once because the local cell company didn’t see our phones as having data plans, but that was resolved quickly and during night hours.

Last edited:
I have the Skype app on my phone and just using voice uses very little data so if you are in a European country and not in WiFi and need to make a call you can use Skype. US toll free numbers are free and calls to Europe are about 2.3c/min.

I’ve also had a Skype incoming number for the last couple of years and that works great for people and businesses who only have to call a US number to contact me no matter where in the world I am provided that I am in WiFi or with a call plan that includes data. If I don’t pick up they can leave a voice message for me to respond. Costs about $40 / year but you can also pay monthly.

Almost too many options these days.

I travel to Europe 2 or 3 times a year for a total of about 5 weeks. I use a pre-paid Vodaphone SIM card (CallYa) from Germany that I bought 4 years ago. It has no monthly charges and they charge 9 cents / min for outgoing calls to the EU or an SMS, free worldwide incoming calls/SMS. You can buy 1GB of data for 10 Euro.

Since June 2017 there are no additional roaming charges within all EU countries. So the countries your looking at Germany, Netherlands, CZ are all part of this in case you need to make calls to other EU countries.

HOWEVER, the big disadvantage are the very high cost to make calls to the US (2.18/min) and sending a SMS cost 84 cents. To avoid this I use the data plan (or Wifi) and use FaceTime, WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger to call over data. To reach people not having social media apps, I use Skype to call regular landlines.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip.

+1

We have historically bought the SIM in each country. I am considering TM just to avoid this.

I thought the EU countries now required each other to honor roaming, but it looks complicated for travelers from outside the EU.

https://toomanyadapters.com/no-eu-roaming-charges-travelers/

Theoretically, then, if you’re not an EU resident, mobile companies aren’t obligated to offer you “roam like at home” pricing. That’s potentially bad news for visitors from elsewhere in the world, who plan to buy a SIM card in the first EU country they visit, then use it across the continent.

Practically, though, many carriers are unlikely to bother trying to restrict their service like this. I spoke to a customer service representative for EE, the largest mobile company in the UK, who confirmed international visitors will be treated the same as any other prepaid customer. As long as they abide by the standard fair use policy, they can roam across the EU like anybody else.

My advice for international tourists planning to use a SIM in this way, though, is to ask this specific question before purchase. Each operator is different, and especially in cheaper Eurozone countries, some may look to keep their costs down by enforcing this part of the regulations.
So far I buy a card for each country I visit that is a lot cheaper than getting international service from a USA carrier.

Portugal - $15 for 15 Gigs for 30 days. By far the best deal I ever found.

Greece - $15 for 5 Gigs for 14 days. A good deal until I went to Portugal

Italy - $20 for 4 gigs for 14 days. Interestingly, I had to go back 3 times to get my iPhone 4S to work. My companion got the same deal, popped the Sim card into an iPhone 5s and it worked almost immediately.

Last edited:
Google Fi is perfect for this situation.
+1

A couple of weeks ago we called home from the transit lounge in Seoul. No need to chase down a Korean SIM card for a three hour layover.

That call was 20 cents/minute, as are calls from most of 135+ countries. Some countries are free. Data is always unlimited at $10/GB paying only for the megabytes we actually use, anywhere in the Fi countries.

Info: https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6157794?p=dst_roaming

Last edited:
A few years back for a cruise, we used a sim sold from likely some guy in his basement in Germany. :LOL: We mainly wanted something for prepaid data versus for voice and text.
The outfit was called Europasim. They basically resold a Vodafone sim from Italy which had good data roaming rates. However, we had to send them our passport info (telecom registration laws). They don't seem to be operating any more though but the concept is still valid.

I suspect you could also just seek out a phone/vodafone store in your first country and buy a prepaid sim with reasonable a reasonable roaming plan/rates. Check out this prepaid data sim wiki website.

I thought the EU countries now required each other to honor roaming, but it looks complicated for travelers from outside the EU.

https://toomanyadapters.com/no-eu-roaming-charges-travelers/

So far I buy a card for each country I visit that is a lot cheaper than getting international service from a USA carrier.

Portugal - $15 for 15 Gigs for 30 days. By far the best deal I ever found.
http://pulpito.ceph.com/yuriw-2018-02-08_22:39:55-krbd-luminous-testing-smithi/
Greece - $15 for 5 Gigs for 14 days. A good deal until I went to Portugal

Italy - $20 for 4 gigs for 14 days. Interestingly, I had to go back 3 times to get my iPhone 4S to work. My companion got the same deal, popped the Sim card into an iPhone 5s and it worked almost immediately.

Cool and thx !

If I travel to Amsterdam and then to Germany and Czech, would it be better to buy SIMs in Europe?

And assuming that I already have unlocked phones, is t a big deal to activate it at point of sale ?

Also switched to T Mobile as we plan to continuously travel and like having no extra fees. Has worked pretty good so far in London, France, Spain, Puerto Rico, and Mexico.

Everything is included except calling is 20 cents a minute, easily avoided using either WiFi calling or Skype with t-mobile data hotspot.

Cool and thx !

If I travel to Amsterdam and then to Germany and Czech, would it be better to buy SIMs in Europe?

And assuming that I already have unlocked phones, is t a big deal to activate it at point of sale ?

You pretty much have to buy country SIMs in Europe. Don’t trust online sellers in the US.

Activating it at pint of sale is the best time to do it, and the salesperson can probably do it for you and help with any confusion.

The biggest deal is finding the pint of sale that has the plan you want. You can usually work this out ahead of time by doing research online.

Except for plans that already include it.

We spent 6 weeks in the Netherlands and one in Germany last summer and maybe had $4 total in fees which were mysteriously rebated the next month.

Except for plans that already include it.

We spent 6 weeks in the Netherlands and one in Germany last summer and maybe had $4 total in fees which were mysteriously rebated the next month.

T Mobile I assume? Yes they are great in that respect. But, in my case I would pay more every month at home to get that great deal traveling. A few months ago I checked and T Mobile would cost me over $40 a month more than I usually pay. $70 vs $27.

Last edited:
In Spain we got 2gb of data and local calls for $20 from Vodafone. Very easy, no hassle at all.

T Mobile I assume? Yes they are great in that respect. But, in my case I would pay more every month at home to get that great deal traveling. A few months ago I checked and T Mobile would cost me over $40 a month more than I usually pay. $70 vs $27.

If you can beat this deal from T-Mobile:

55yr old+ get 2 lines with unlimited talk, text and LTE data on America’s best unlimited network for $60/mo.

I switched and went form $110 from Verizon (not unlimited data) to unlimited data and calling. [emoji857]

Back
Top Bottom