projects after retire

I have so many projects in the queue that it will probably be months before I get done. Spring planting and yard work is dominating my time now.

The opportunity to ER just arose about a month ago, so I'm still trying to wrap my head around how it will go down. I'm 55 yrs old, mostly a Type-A workaholic, self-employed and very task oriented. I'll sell the business and retire June 15. Half of me wants to set up a daily task schedule to stay focused. The other half wants to just wipe the schedule clean for the entire summer and see what happens. I'm leaning toward the second choice. I'll either be deliriously happy or bored out of my mind. Should be interesting to see what happens.

I make lists of things that I would do if I had time.

This has turned into the "mother-of-all-projects" for me. Started clearing and surveying the land about 4 years ago. This is where I am now. Pretty much all I do (except skiing in the winter, of course). Building a house by yourself is slow going, but I'm having a lot of fun doing it.

Hermit - yours is the most organized looking construction site that I've ever seen! And a good looking house, too.

The opportunity to ER just arose about a month ago, so I'm still trying to wrap my head around how it will go down. I'm 55 yrs old, mostly a Type-A workaholic, self-employed and very task oriented. I'll sell the business and retire June 15. Half of me wants to set up a daily task schedule to stay focused. The other half wants to just wipe the schedule clean for the entire summer and see what happens. I'm leaning toward the second choice. I'll either be deliriously happy or bored out of my mind. Should be interesting to see what happens.

I suggest you take two weeks to do nothing and decompress. Then you can think more clearly about what you want to do...if anything.

The word "project" is alien to my conception of a life of leisure. The only project I have is my contract job. Everything else is different since I am much happier doing the things I want to do on an open-ended/flow basis, rather than a planned, benchmarked, start-and-finish task. I had enough of that at work.

So far, I have gotten into beekeeping, done more fishing and hunting, camped more, baked more bread, volunteered more, become more active with our daughters at school, started seriously gathering enough firewood to heat the house full time, gotten in better shape (weight does not seem to go down, but I have way more endurance and a heck of a lot more strength), and so forth. I want to pick up fly fishing again and have taken some steps in that direction, but for now I am too busy. I also picked up a few chores that I mostly outsourced while working, including tending to the yard.

My first few years of FIRE were very task-oriented...I attacked and completed a lot of small projects, mostly indoor stuff, i.e. non-critical things that had to be deferred while w*rking full time.

Travel...I haven't gotten the traveling bug back yet. I went to FL 3x in 2010. I'm way overdue to plan a long distance trip. Truth is, I'm too lazy to do that. It's so much easier to do short distance travel within NY. Walk out to car, insert key, turn ignition, drive. :cool:

Now 8 years into FIRE and I no longer construct "to-do" lists. If something crosses my mind, but I don't feel like doing it right now, I will make a small note and put it on my kitchen counter as a reminder. Completion dates vary from today to whenever. :LOL:

My biggest project was converting a small bedroom into an indoor growing room for veggies and flowers. I did it little by little, waiting for sales on shelving units and grow lights off season. It turned out really well. It is a constant source of enjoyment for me in all seasons, but especially in the winter time.

My gardening buddy is helping me do some fine tuning on the yard and a few small indoor tasks. If my hands were in better shape, I would do these things myself. I do not like to ask for help, never have in my entire life, but I guess I have no choice due to chronic tendinitis. Argh.

The most recent outdoor project is actually hired out. I have a tree service doing some preventative removal of trees that are too tall or have dead sections. I'll get some great firewood out of the deal. The tree service guys will trim off branches and cut the trunks into 16 inch sections for splitting in the fall or next spring. :D

Last edited:
Travel in our RV, build Hotrods, mission work with our church, and see grandkids often as we can.

Travel in our RV, build Hotrods, mission work with our church, and see grandkids often as we can.

I'm restoring (and/or hot-rodding) a couple of old cars. After DW's 'projects' and our kid's housing projects, nothing gets done. How did I find time to spend at work?

I've been restoring classic motorcycles to museum quality. When I finish one, I enter it in a classic car and motorcycle show, then sell it to fund my next project. This has turned into a money making activity!

Retired December 2012 at 55 years old.

I started with a sunfish last summer for $300 bucks, did some restoration which I found I very much enjoy. Then this winter I bought an older Capri 18, fixed it up, put it in a slip and sail every day if can 4-5 days a week. I set it up for solo sailing. If I have one regret, it's that I didn't take up sailing earlier, I just love it. I will probably sell the sunfish at the end of this summer. I'm near a good sized lake in Texas, so I can sail year round.

These only count with pics! :D

After some decompression and dealing with some parent issues (still partially ongoing), I am starting to work on several fix-up projects around the current house, and purging/de-junking. Next year we will move cross country to our retirement house and sell the current one. I already have a couple of projects in mind for the retirement home when we get there.

Urban homesteading / sustainable living / decluttering house
Learning more about credit card games, sign up bonuses
Work part-time
Redecorating and fixing up the house, replacing lawn with native garden, improving energy efficiency, small solar projects, improving Feng Shui
Lots of outings, weekend & day trips - museums, gardens, parks, hikes, picnics, cultural attractions, restaurants, happy hours, visiting friends
Yoga, reading, cooking, managing investments & optimizing expenses
Adopted a rescue dog
Trying out a few structured activities - clubs / civic groups

Last edited:
I am the handyman/builder in the family and am retiring next spring...coincidentally, my brother will be either building a house or moving an existing home on to some land they own right around the same time. So, I guess my first few months of retirement will be busy. :D

I started out retirement painting the inside of the house. 3 rooms done so far. Nice being able to do it on MY schedule. Also finishing up some end tables I've been building.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I haven't had time to take care of most of the projects I'd like to do. My decompression period is now going into it's 7th month with no end in sight! I was scared of being bored...but that's not happening. If and when I decide to w#rk on the projects, here are a few..

-Replace old interior doors in the house
-Install a hot tub
-Pressure wash and stain the deck (which will suck since it's 1,000 square feet!
-Continue with landscape projects that NEVER end
-Replace gutters
-Build some new blue bird nesting boxes
-Maybe go to law school

Oye...that list wears me out just thinking about it! Now I need a nap!

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1112.jpg
    IMG_1112.jpg
    559.1 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
I have lots of craft projects - I make handmade books with wonderful papers - and buy used furniture and use chalk paint to restore and then, hopefully, sell. I'm also working on writing a genre fiction novel. When I move and have more room I know I will branch out. Reading is also a big hobby of mine.

And I drink.

Depends on the project! But if I am using an Facto knife I usually stay soberish.

I have lots of craft projects - I make handmade books with wonderful papers - and buy used furniture and use chalk paint to restore and then, hopefully, sell. I'm also working on writing a genre fiction novel. When I move and have more room I know I will branch out. Reading is also a big hobby of mine.

And I drink.

I've got the drinking part down, but have also thought about the chalk painting. :) I have an old desk in the garage for my first project. A friend told me how much she paid for a chalk painted dresser on Craigslist and I was kind of floored. It is easy to pick up old furniture that just needs a coat of paint practically for free at local garage sales and thrift shops. Then again maybe I've just watched too many episodes of Flea Market flip, but I love that show.

Back
Top Bottom