Public humiliation or support group??

LeatherneckPA

Recycles dryer sheets
Hooo-boy! I have read somewhere (probably several places) that one tactic to assist in attaining a fitness/health goal is to make your intentions known to friends and family. Only in this case I choose NOT to let my family know. I want to surprise/amaze them with a fait accompli.

Many of you know that I ride my motorcycle to referee bicycle races. And every race I work I sit there in awe of these athletes. I have spoken with diabetics who are racing wearing a pump, a 50 year old with a prosthetic leg, and wheel chair athletes who have climbed a category 3 ascent. This weekend I met my first 300+ racer. (That's 300 pounds plus!)

September 14th, last Sunday, I worked in DC at what they call "The Nation's Triathalon", It is what they call an "Olympic distance" race, which means it is roughly 1/4 of the famous Hawaii Ironman; 1.5k swim, 40k bike, and 10k run. As if the athletes themselves did not impress me enough I got to meet and actually talk to Dave Scott, a legend in the sport of tri , six time winner of the Hawaii Ironman race.

So what does all of this have to do with me and you? Well, I have decided to compete in next year's Nation's Triathalon, rather than just officiate it.

I grew up an avid swimmer. I was the first on my Tri-County team to compete at a one mile race. And since we lived four miles from town I also grew up riding my bicycle pretty much everywhere. (You should have the seen the look on my girl-friend's face the first time I rode 10 miles one-way to spend an afternoon with her.) I grew up rather enjoying both sports. My big weakness for tri would be that I absolutely abhor running. That, and the fact that I will probably require some sort of ankle brace since the USMC destroyed both of my ankles.

So I am hereby going on public notice, more or less, with my intention. I believe a full year should give me sufficient time to prepare. Will I race as 50+ or in the Clydesdale division? Who knows. Will I place? Who cares! All I want to do is actually FINISH. I would consider it a bonus if I can finish by actually running the 10k rather than walking it. But first, let's concentrate on finishing.

I plan to post occasional updates here, and hopefully thrive upon the support this group usually expresses for it's members. OOOOOH!!! Brainstorm!! Anybody else think they want to do this and meet in DC for the race next September? We could have an online training/motivation group.

We'll be cheering you from the sidelines! I would love to get updates as to how the training is going.:)

Best of luck to you, and don't destroy your ankles. One of my camping buddies (an old boss) does Triathalons, and he's like 63 now. Doesn't look that impressive, but when we hike he leaves me behind, and I'm 10 years younger and a fair hiker. He keeps saying he's going to give it up, but he never does.

My advice, train reasonably. Don't get hurt. Sort of like investing - slow and steady finishes the race.:D

Keep us informed, we'll support you and be glad to ridicule you whenever necessary. ;)

Good luck with achieving your goal.

I have occasionally thought about doing a triathalon myself, the only thing standing in the way is I am a poor swimmer, I can't really get into cycling and running bores me. However, that said, my ultimate fantasy would be to do Hawaii Ironman, I so admire those people who have the guts to put it all out there.

So what is your training program going to be?

So I am hereby going on public notice, more or less, with my intention. I believe a full year should give me sufficient time to prepare. Will I race as 50+ or in the Clydesdale division? Who knows. Will I place? Who cares! All I want to do is actually FINISH. I would consider it a bonus if I can finish by actually running the 10k rather than walking it. But first, let's concentrate on finishing.
We could have an online training/motivation group.
Hey, if you wanted public humiliation during your workouts then you'd still be in the Marines. So it's a support group with ooh-rah.

The training club for the Honolulu Marathon starts their annual program the Sunday after the marathon... or, as they say, "Only 51 training weeks to go!"

Keep in mind that guys like Dave Scott & Tinsley are genetically gifted (as well as training fools) and not built to the same specs as most of us. Like Phelps & Armstrong, their bodies give them a completely different reward for their workouts than most of us will ever experience. In fact they're so far to the right-hand side of the bell curve that they're practically a separate species...

I can stand on the sidelines and cheer you on. My orthopedic surgeon made it clear that while walking, bicycling and swimming were okay, running would lead to having artificial knees in short order. I still have the originals and want to keep them for a while longer.

I'm not seeing the before pictures...

I can stand on the sidelines and cheer you on. My orthopedic surgeon made it clear that while walking, bicycling and swimming were okay, running would lead to having artificial knees in short order. I still have the originals and want to keep them for a while longer.

walt34 - ditto - got room for me next to you at curbside? i ran track in high school (miler and 3rd leg of 440 relay) and have a left knee that complains just a little when i walk too far. my doc told me to go easy or he'd have to get the knife out. it was the sly grin on his face that got my attention. i bust his chops all the time, so it was clearly payback.

LeatherneckPA - good luck and go for it!!!!
FB

Don't let not being able to run stop you.
As one who competes, well at least participates, in sprint triathlons with a totally trashed knee, I congratulate you on your quest.
You may want to pester an orthopedist to see what they've come up with lately. I now have a carbon fiber knee brace that allows me to speed walk with no limp for distances that I couldn't even hobble before.
Even if there is nothing new there, you may want to engage a trainer for just a few sessions. I'm in my 50's and have climbed mountains. I learned that I didn't know how to tie my shoes properly, I didn't know how to walk properly, and in fact I didn't know how to stand up properly. The improvements I've made strictly from following the trainer's instruction are unbelievable.
You're going to have a lot of fun with this!!!

Hooo-boy! I have read somewhere (probably several places) that one tactic to assist in attaining a fitness/health goal is to make your intentions known to friends and family. Only in this case I choose NOT to let my family know. I want to surprise/amaze them with a fait accompli.

Many of you know that I ride my motorcycle to referee bicycle races. And every race I work I sit there in awe of these athletes. I have spoken with diabetics who are racing wearing a pump, a 50 year old with a prosthetic leg, and wheel chair athletes who have climbed a category 3 ascent. This weekend I met my first 300+ racer. (That's 300 pounds plus!)

September 14th, last Sunday, I worked in DC at what they call "The Nation's Triathalon", It is what they call an "Olympic distance" race, which means it is roughly 1/4 of the famous Hawaii Ironman; 1.5k swim, 40k bike, and 10k run. As if the athletes themselves did not impress me enough I got to meet and actually talk to Dave Scott, a legend in the sport of tri , six time winner of the Hawaii Ironman race.

So what does all of this have to do with me and you? Well, I have decided to compete in next year's Nation's Triathalon, rather than just officiate it.

I grew up an avid swimmer. I was the first on my Tri-County team to compete at a one mile race. And since we lived four miles from town I also grew up riding my bicycle pretty much everywhere. (You should have the seen the look on my girl-friend's face the first time I rode 10 miles one-way to spend an afternoon with her.) I grew up rather enjoying both sports. My big weakness for tri would be that I absolutely abhor running. That, and the fact that I will probably require some sort of ankle brace since the USMC destroyed both of my ankles.

I plan to post occasional updates here, and hopefully thrive upon the support this group usually expresses for it's members. OOOOOH!!! Brainstorm!! Anybody else think they want to do this and meet in DC for the race next September? We could have an online training/motivation group.

Remember to ask your girlfriend how she shaves her legs before you butcher yours. Also, coco-butter cream works wonders. You won't be able to fend them off. :)

Excellent news Leatherneck. Good luck with the training. You won't regret it.

22 years ago, I ran in a triathlon with Dave Scott, Mark Allen and other pros. To say he kicked my @ss would be a gross understatement. He was finishing the run as I was starting.

Last edited:
Hey, my sister was in that tri! She did it last year and loved it, so went back again this year. She was walking a lot, but was happy to finish. She's with you - hates running. :)

Good luck with your training!

Sounds like fun! I wanted to try to Honolulu Marathon in December...started thinking about it in April or so, but alas, I am not FIREd and probably not as motivated. Still, I think the Tri in DC would be a great experience. Good luck to you! What are you doing by way of training, and what are the short, mid, and long term goals in terms of speed, endurance, weight loss, etc?

R

Sounds like a great idea, good luck, please do post regularly throughout the year to keep us up to date on progress.

I would love to get updates as to how the training is going.:)
I started a new thread titled Triathlon training for just this reason.

So what is your training program going to be?
I'm still working on that, but first I have to get the cobwebs out of my joints and muscles and get them accustomed to the stress of exercise again. I figure that'll take about a month or so. I mean, I've been really sedentary for a very long time. I plan to work up to a plan that gets me training six days a week. I drafted this plan about 10 years ago, before promotions got in the way, where I'd swim three days, bike three days, and run three days. By working two events each day I got in three of each, but still got to take Sundays off to rest and recover.

I'm not seeing the before pictures...
You have NO idea what you are asking for! But now that you mention it pictures and measurements might be a good idea. It would let me track my progress visually.

You may want to pester an orthopedist to see what they've come up with lately.

...you may want to engage a trainer for just a few sessions.
I have a great sports med orthopod who put my shoulder back together after my last big inmate fight and I plan to talk to him about the ankle problem.

There used to be several triathletes at the local Y. Hopefully they'll still be there. I have sort of an advantage actually in this area, because I am/was such a skilled swimmer. Most triathletes consider swimming to be their worst/most challenging section. And due to my moto ref work I have contacts with the local cycling club. I'll probably start training with them and asking for guidance come spring. Right now I just have to focus on building a cardio base.

But I think you might be right about the trainer when it comes to the running portion. Even yesterday, at the jock shop, the lady told me that I run more forward on my foot than most people she knows.

...what are the short, mid, and long term goals in terms of speed, endurance, weight loss, etc?
Thanks for asking. I know I've read it somewhere before that setting these short, mid, and long term goals is important to success, but I don't think I've ever actually sat down and done it before.

Swimming
Short term - work up to 500m non-stop before 1-1-09
Mid term - 2k non-stop before Memorial Day '09
Long term - 1.5k under 0:30:00 at Nation's Tri in September '09

Cycling
Short term - work up to 20k non-stop before Thanksgiving
Mid term - 40k by Memorial Day '09
Long term - 40k under 1:15:00 at Nation's Tri in September '09

Running
Short term - work up to run/walk 5k non-stop by 1-1-09
Mid term - 10k non-stop by Memorial Day '09
Long term - 10k under 0:54:00 at Nation's Tri in September '09

Weight Loss
Short term - lose 40 lbs by 1-1-09, down to 325
Mid term - lose 50 more pounds by Memorial Day '09, down to 275
Long term - lose at least 25 more pounds by Nation's Tri in September '09, down below 250

I don't know, dude. Sounds like a prescription for early death to me. I'm all for getting in shape, and would love to do a Tri, but 115 lbs in 1 year? Have you talked this over with a doctor? I know you were a marine and all, and I was just a skinny little hippy, but mental toughness will only take you so far.

I truly don't mean to be negative. I would love to see you accomplish this. And I wish you best of luck. Just don't do yourself serious damage or you'll be sitting in front of a TV the rest of your life. And that would suck.

The "experts" (and my doctor) recommend an average weight loss of 1-2 lbs per week. 115 pounds in one year is 2.21 pounds per week average. Sounds doable to me. I expect to progress much more rapidly than that in the early stages as I have so much to lose and haven't walked further than prison rounds for so long.

The "experts" (and my doctor) recommend an average weight loss of 1-2 lbs per week. 115 pounds in one year is 2.21 pounds per week average. Sounds doable to me.

Absolutely agree :D

I went from 210 to 170 in 6 months when I decided to "lose it" and it felt great.

The "experts" (and my doctor) recommend an average weight loss of 1-2 lbs per week. 115 pounds in one year is 2.21 pounds per week average. Sounds doable to me. I expect to progress much more rapidly than that in the early stages as I have so much to lose and haven't walked further than prison rounds for so long.

Yeah I think you can do it, and by the sound of it, you are a pretty big guy (shoe size 13EEE:eek: from your other post, and 365# currently...must be 6'6" - 6'8"), so 2.21# per week should be doable. You are right, the pounds will fall off in the first weeks/months, esp if you have a lot to lose, and if you cut a lot of the carbs and add protein. Just don't overdo the exercise in the first few weeks...it can kill you! Start out low and slow, and work up to it. If you have room for a stationary bike, it might be good to have one in front of the boob toob. Hop on for a 10-15 minutes every time you turn the TV on instead of plopping down in the recliner.

Good luck!

R

Good Luck! It sounds like a fabulous plan.....definitely want to see the pictures.
Any takers to join you in this quest?

I certainly don't want to discourage you, just want you to set reasonable goals. I'll be following your exploits as you post, cheering you on. I'm doing well on my 1 lb/week plan. Next week I'll be overweight for the first time in 25 years! Seems like an odd goal to celebrate, but everything is relative.

Anyway, good luck. If you kick ass the way it sounds like you will, maybe I'll get motivated to do it too. I can't run, but swimming is my forte, and biking is OK. A walk/swim/bike triathalon would be a great thing for me to accomplish.

Any takers to join you in this quest?
I've had offers to come and cheer, but nobody planning to join me. Although actually, it's kind of hard to join someone for a tri, since you are not allowed to draft/work together on the bike section anyway.

A walk/swim/bike triathalon would be a great thing for me to accomplish.
There were quite a few folks who were walking the last leg in DC, and many others who would alternate running with walking as they pounded it out. I had to admire their grit.

Back
Top Bottom