Pulling the hose around for gas

O2Bfree

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The post about cash or credit for gas got me thinking: I nearly always get gas at Costco, where the lines are sometimes quite long. But I'm not afraid to pull up to a pump that's on my right side and pull the hose over to the tank on the left side of my car. I can usually get a pump much faster that way, while others seem to prefer waiting in line for a pump on the tank side of their car.

Are people afraid of having to pull that hose around to reach their tank on the other side?

I pull the hose around all the time, because, as you said, the line is shorter (in my case at Sam's).

I admit to being hesitant at first, but quickly learned if I pull close to the pump, and far enough up it was no problem

Never crossed my mind it would reach that far.

At our Costco, there are signs letting everyone know that the hose is long enough to reach either side of the vehicle.

I agree with the OP. I often pull up to a pump on the "wrong" side because the wait is much shorter.

I go to what I believe is the shortest or fasted line. Pulling the pump hose around to the other side of the car is a non event. I probably do it more than half of the time when I fill up.

I have but I try not to. I don't want to risk scraping my car. Sure it's a rubber hose but it can still mark/mar the paint and I spend a lot of time keeping my vehicles near perfect.

It reaches and I have had the same experience. Plus my BMW fills from the passenger side.

But despite being a member I do not wait in line for Costco gas. Just does not seem time efficient.

The post about cash or credit for gas got me thinking: I nearly always get gas at Costco, where the lines are sometimes quite long. But I'm not afraid to pull up to a pump that's on my right side and pull the hose over to the tank on the left side of my car. I can usually get a pump much faster that way, while others seem to prefer waiting in line for a pump on the tank side of their car.

Are people afraid of having to pull that hose around to reach their tank on the other side?

Not me, I do it rountinely if that is quicker or a shorter line. It's easier with the pickup because the hose runs over the pickup bed rather than over the roof. Costco, BJs and Sam's usually have longer hoses to facilitate doing it.

My Safeway has hoses that are now too short to do that. The first time you discover that is quite annoying.
Our cars are right side fill so it is usually not a thing.

I have but I try not to. I don't want to risk scraping my car. Sure it's a rubber hose but it can still mark/mar the paint and I spend a lot of time keeping my vehicles near perfect.

I think about that too, and am careful about where the hose goes. On my Honda, it goes across plastic or glass and I haven't noticed any scuffs.

+1, my MO as well. I’m not going to die if I wait one car longer in line, and the lines don’t always move in sync anyway so you don’t know which will be faster. If that’s important to you, have at it, it’s your car…:confused:

I was waiting for something like that! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

I don't get gas at Costco so I have never waited in line anyway. It would cost me more to drive there than I'd save even if I had the patience which I don't!

Last edited:
I don't get gas at Costco so I have never waited in line anyway. It would cost me more to drive there than I'd save even if I had the patience which I don't!
You can stretch the hose across your car at many gas stations, not unique to Costco.

I don’t pull the hose over. I’ve done it once but pulling it over my truck is pain and I don’t like standing in the middle lane as cars try to go by.

At Costco, I also try to wait until both cars pull out and then pull up. I don’t like going around one car to get to the pump in front. I don’t want to hit you folks that are in the middle lane pulling the hose over and it’s a pretty tight squeeze for my truck.

I never do as I can almost always get in a line with the same number of cars to avoid it. And if there are THAT many cars, I just get gas the next time.

Two arguments against: It takes longer. I watch those folks pulling it over, struggling with it, getting it lined up. A good extra minute getting gas.

And the main reason - that means you stand in the line in the middle - the thru way that's there to allow cars to get to the far end pump, since costco has slots for 2 or 3. Pullover-guy makes it harder for cars to get thru safely, as he usually stands at or over the line of the lane. So often cars wait instead of going thru, slowing up the whole business for everyone else.

At Costco, I also try to wait until both cars pull out and then pull up. I don’t like going around one car to get to the pump in front. I don’t want to hit you folks that are in the middle lane pulling the hose over and it’s a pretty tight squeeze for my truck.

I don't like squeezing around people either, but it's usually not too difficult in my Honda.

One time, a woman left her driver's door open while pumping gas on the right side of her car. I was trying to drive through and finally gestured to her nicely about the door. She looked terribly offended and bothered about it.

Thanks for your consideration for us middle lane pumpers!

Two arguments against: It takes longer. I watch those folks pulling it over, struggling with it, getting it lined up. A good extra minute getting gas.

And the main reason - that means you stand in the line in the middle - the thru way that's there to allow cars to get to the far end pump, since costco has slots for 2 or 3. Pullover-guy makes it harder for cars to get thru safely, as he usually stands at or over the line of the lane. So often cars wait instead of going thru, slowing up the whole business for everyone else.

It takes me only a few seconds to pull the hose over.

But yeah, with the huge vehicles people must drive these days, pullovers could cause a backup, especially if there's one on each side of the lane.

+100

We get our gas at the Exxon just around the corner.

No line,
no problems getting a pump on the correct side of the car,
no need to drive six miles across town to get there,
not even one recent carjacking and brutal murder/dismemberment of older women for daring to get gas there (as opposed to Costco), and...
the price is higher but not drastically so.

I buy my gas at a local Sam’s. They have it set up so all cars enter on one side, pull through and exit forward out the other side. Like a drive thru. There is always that guy who enters through the exit and faces the other 99% of us waiting.

I do it at Sam's....

Usually you have to park closer to the pump... I have been at the most extreme distance and put the nozzle in facing upward... with no slack...

Unfortunately there is not a Sam's with gas close enough to me to make it a regular stop...

+100

We get our gas at the Exxon just around the corner.

No line,
no problems getting a pump on the correct side of the car,
no need to drive six miles across town to get there,
not even one recent carjacking and brutal murder/dismemberment of older women for daring to get gas there (as opposed to Costco), and...
the price is higher but not drastically so.

BUT, does Exxon serve snacks and sell filet mignon in a 10 lb pack?

This is why I don’t pull the hose around. I’m sure none of our esteemed members are guilty of blocking traffic this way ?, but most folks in my area who do it are oblivious.

Back
Top Bottom