Question for my fellow runners

mystang52

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Dammit, some 4 weeks ago I had to stop training for a Half Mary because I got Runner's Knee. I've rested it, went to my ortho's PA, and last week saw my orthopedist. As of last week, I can run about 1 1/2 miles before I start to feel twinges. I immediately stop running and walk back to my car or house at that point, so I never get to the actual pain point.
My ortho suggested I try P.T., but I told him I was skeptical that could help. I'm doing various exercises at home - I have a home gym for some of the resistance exercises. I visited 2 nearby P.T. places and point-blank asked them what they feel they could do to help my runner's knee. I wasn't happy with either response so definitely won't go to either of them.
Whaddya think? Have you ever gone for PT for runner's knee and did it help? Or do I just have to be patient a little longer. fyi I plan to try running a short distance, again, in another day or 2 to gauge my progress or lack thereof .

Many years ago I developed runner's knee to an extreme extent. It got so bad I had to quit running entirely, and every time I tried to start again it recurred very quickly.

Went to several different docs, but no help.

Finally found a good sports podiatrist who made me some custom orthotics. Put them in my shoes and was immediately able to run as far as I liked with no pain whatever. It was truly just like magic!

I'm sure there are other ways around the problem (there always are), but the orthotics sure did the trick for me.

How old are you shoes? Are they different from what you used before? Some people can run in any shoes, and some develop issues if they have the wrong ones for them.

Many years ago I developed runner's knee to an extreme extent. It got so bad I had to quit running entirely, and every time I tried to start again it recurred very quickly.

Went to several different docs, but no help.

Finally found a good sports podiatrist who made me some custom orthotics. Put them in my shoes and was immediately able to run as far as I liked with no pain whatever. It was truly just like magic!

I'm sure there are other ways around the problem (there always are), but the orthotics sure did the trick for me.

Wow that's an amazing story! Not sure I would've even thought to investigate orthotics.

And be sure to rotate several pairs of shoes. 1) after a long run it may take a while for the shoe to "bounce back" or de-compress and 2) shoes will stress your feet and body in particular ways. Running on the same platform (shoe model) stresses the same body parts repeatedly. i have always rotated three pairs and retired them at 300 miles (I am bigger than the average runner).

I rotate through 3 different shoes, all currently low mileage (highest one is all of 120 miles). Also, I already have custom orthotics. I do have one of those ChoPat straps and will use it on my next run. Thanks all. I think I'll just stick with patience, exercises, and slowly ease back into running by keeping the distance down until the pain is gone.
Shame is that for the last few years I had cut back on my running distances due to back problems. Those back issues have dissipated, and I thought I could do a Half Mary in March. I slowly ramped up my mileage in training, but I guess not slowly enough!

I'd take your ortho's advice. There's a strong chance your runner's knee is caused by weakness in the musculature around your patella and the tendons associated with it - specifically in your quadriceps. I had runners knee growing up and it was only alleviated when I finally got strong enough in my legs. Nothing since then.

Patellar bands just mask the issue - they don't fix it - by providing stability to your knee that should otherwise be provided by your quadriceps. New shoes won't solve the issue for long as all shoes tend to wear and the fact is, when you're running high volume, you just have to be strong or you're going to get injured.

While I'm sure your legs are strong from running, there's a distinct difference in this type of strength to prevent injury. Strong - for a runner - means you should be able to do single-leg squats (pistols) without much issue.

I'd try the PT and work on solving the problem rather trying to figure out ways to mask it.

There could also be technique issues or, less likely, equipment issues from running in the wrong kinds of shoes. But increased strength is the surest way to prevent overuse injuries.

In addition to some of the advice already offered I also find that as I get older it's more important to do a good warmup before taking on any activity. I've been following the warmup program suggested in "Younger Next Year-The Exercise Book" and it has helped in reducing the sore joints I would sometimes get from 3X a week each of jogging and golfing. My weight training routine also includes several different squat routines to keep my legs strengthened.

I've run for decades basically injury free. Never had runners knee and had to look it up. I think it is a great idea to see a PT. Just went to one recently for the first time at age 68. They helped me to develop a stretching routine that I have been doing daily (and I hate stretching but it's necessary for me).

Some things which have helped me:
1) Really examine your reasons for your exercise schedule. Do you really need to run races? Isn't lower mileage just as good (but maybe without the social component)? Maybe celebrate just being fit and enjoying the outdoors. I've talked to so many people who gave up running because of the knees.

2) Don't ramp up mileage/pace too fast. Avoid extreme bouts of enthusiasm.

3) Go to a runner's store and make sure you have the right shoes. Make sure they check the toe fit too. I've had to go to larger sizes as I age. Feet can change a bit as we age.

4) Try to run on trails instead of hard pavements.

5) If you are sick or have a minor ligament strain, give yourself plenty of rest. Consider running every other day instead of every day.

I keep a log of my exercise on Google Sheets. One column shows the average mileage of the last 7 days. That is helpful to smooth out the exercises. One can also note minor injuries and such.

Last edited:
Like you I'm getting close to 40 years as a runner- I've had some knee problems - on and off - it was always rest and cross training that got me through it - I had a nasty case of ITB could not run a mile- switched to biking for about 2 months along with some stretching - I even did a bike leg for a triathlon team.

When you are back in training mode - I've found the FIRST training plans the best to get good results with less mileage

I've run for decades basically injury free. Never had runners knee and had to look it up. I think it is a great idea to see a PT. Just went to one recently for the first time at age 68. They helped me to develop a stretching routine that I have been doing daily (and I hate stretching but it's necessary for me).

Some things which have helped me:
1) Really examine your reasons for your exercise schedule. Do you really need to run races? Isn't lower mileage just as good (but maybe without the social component)? Maybe celebrate just being fit and enjoying the outdoors. I've talked to so many people who gave up running because of the knees.

2) Don't ramp up mileage/pace too fast. Avoid extreme bouts of enthusiasm.

First, brief update. I found a PT near my house that gave me a comfort level I did not have with the other 2 I had checked out. We had a beautiful day today here in NJ, so I took advantage and went for a bike ride. Major snow storm tomorrow. I plan to run on Friday, and if I still can't get past 1 1/2 miles I'll then start PT.
For several years I've had back issues that prevented me from running distances longer than 5 miles or so. But I've felt really good over the last year. In my "prime," I frequently ran longer races, mainly Half Marathons. I love the distance. So, yes racing is important to me (keep in mind I am VERY slow, so this is not a competitive thing); I enjoy the camaraderie and thrill of doing the distance.

When I have had runner's knee I have attributed it to midsole cushioning in my shoes that is breaking down - I get new shoes and the pain goes away. Therefore my questions would be, do you have the right kind of shoes, and are those orthotics helping or hurting? Notwithstanding braumeister's success with orthotics, I have known lots of runners who got custom orthotics but abandoned them, because while they solved some problems they created others.

The other approach is to try the chi running technique or something like it. I used some chi running techniques several years ago and thought it was helpful in correcting form problems that contribute to injury (though there's only so much you can do to change how you run).

As with everything else about running, YMMV.

I can definitely relate. I developed runner's knee when I was training for my first marathon several decades ago. That stab of pain in the knee after a few minutes of running made training for a marathon impossible, which was so disheartening. Resting didn't seem to help, but several things did work for me: (1) custom orthotics; (2) exercises I did on my own (no PT), and (3) an elastic Ace bandage.

I got the orthotics from an orthopedist who worked with runners (he had many pictures of grateful runners on his wall, which was very encouraging), & in fact I still use them. It wasn't an instant fix, but it gave me hope & confidence. He also showed me some exercises to strengthen my quads & knee, & I did them religiously. That helped too, and I was slowly able to start training again & increase my mileage. I built up to 40 miles a week & never ran more than 5 days a week (really enjoyed those rest days on Monday & Friday!). A few week's before the marathon, when I started feeling a slight twinge in my knee & was afraid that old problem might be returning, I got one of those elastic Ace bandages & slipped it over my knee whenever I ran. I really think that helped a lot - I felt it stabilized my kneecap when I ran so that any slight discomfort never became disabling. Long story short, I made it to the marathon & completed it happily with Ace bandages on both knees (just in case...). I felt great the whole time (which probably meant I wasn't pushing myself as hard as I could) & was so proud I had done this! Many years later, I'm still running (a little) with no problems & I don't think I'll ever stop thinking of myself as a runner. Good luck & don't give up!

Back
Top Bottom