Question for Sourdough Bread Makers

No something I've ever been concerned about. Most filters reduce chorine anyway, no?

Maybe not. The filter has to include activated charcoal. And even at that, there has to be enough contact time for it to be absorbed. I'm pretty sure that a lot of the smaller filters don't do much at all, not enough charcoal, to fast of a flow.

A Campden tablet will treat 10 gallons, almost instantly. It converts the chlorine products to ammonia, and the ammonia just evaporates very quickly. And a few ppm of ammonia probably isn't noticeable anyhow (chlorine products in municipal water are only ~ 2 ppm)?

-ERD50

:shrugs shoulders:

I'm baking brioche tomorrow. It's going to be the base for a deconstructed lobster roll.

No sougdough on this one. also going to bake a loaf of meat/lard bread.

If you want bread making easy check out Steve's videos. I think he has a sour dough video also. I have made several of his breads. They are 'artisan' breads, good hard crst soft inside.

I found this guy hilarious and his method worked well for me when I was getting started. Since you got a kit, I'd just follow their instructions. However, the videos will give you an idea of what your dough should look like at various stages.

Does it have to be rye flour to make the starter from scratch?

Y'all got me so excited about this bread that I did something I haven’t done before - I went to a local artisanal bakery and got a loaf of bread. It was quite good. $4.75 :dance: It went very well with the chicken vegetable soup DW made.

Do any of you make small loaves or rolls? Making a big loaf of bread or two just doesn’t seem to make sense for two people. Is there a way to store these? Freezer?

Last edited:
Y'all got me so excited about this bread that I did something I haven’t done before - I went to a local artisanal bakery and got a loaf of bread. It was quite good. $4.75 :dance: It went very well with the chicken vegetable soup DW made.

Do any of you make small loaves or rolls? Making a big loaf of bread or two just doesn’t seem to make sense for two people. Is there a way to store these? Freezer?

I make 1 lb loaves for just the two of us. If we haven't finished it within a couple of days, I'll make toast for a day and eventually either toss it or make croutons. When making yourself, the cost of the flour is a lot less than buying a loaf from a bakery.

I taught my mother how to make sourdough, and she freezes her loaves. I prefer it fresh.

Call me the contrarian .... But I respectfully disagree with most of what you're hearing right now. In general terms, I argue that a sourdough starter is far more resilient & less needy than many will tell you. Frankly, I sometimes totally neglect my starter for days on end (even a week or three)... But feed it again, and within a couple days, back to normal.

- "Natural yeasts from the air" is basically a wives' tale. By far, the single most significant source of natural yeasts are going to come from the flour that you're using to feed your starter. The yeasts join the party from the field, not your kitchen. That's why you need to use unbleached flour, whole wheat flour, or other varieties (rye on occasion is an excellent addition) that have not been stripped of those natural yeasts from the field.
- That is not to say that the yeasts in your starter will not change over time -- they will. Based on the environment that you keep it in (warm, cool, dry, moist, etc.), the yeast strains that thrive in that environment will eventually dominate your starter. That's why an older starter becomes stronger/more developed -- it gets used to how you treat it, and the strong survive.
- You're drying out your starter... if it's getting too warm (I'd be very wary of storing it in the oven), you could even be literally cooking (read: killing) your starter. That's why it's forming a crust. Refer back to the "catching wild yeasts" fallacy -- the coffee filter is not helpful. Think about yeast "digestion" -- as the yeasts consume the flour/water, they belch out 3 main by-products: carbon dioxide, water vapor, and an acidic alcohol (if in excess, becomes 'hooch'). Focus on keeping your starter properly moist. I store mine in a fully sealed mason jar to trap all of that water vapor. By contrast, the coffee filter is letting all of that moisture escape. Seal your jar properly, your starter will thank you.
- The presence of hooch is a bad thing. It means that your starter is starving, and over-producing the acid-alcohol. When the starter runs out of flour/water, it starts re-consuming its own by-products, the acid-alcohol that it originally produced. That leads it to concentrate the acid, produce excess alcohol, and you're now slowly killing it. A bit of hooch is no problem, just a sign that you're overdue feeding your starter. If you're getting a bunch of hooch every time, and especially if you're getting that after just 1-2 days after feeding, it means you're using the wrong proportions in your feeding. Feed your starter with at least 3x the weight of flour/water mix to the weight of your existing starter. Better, 4-5x. That's why I discard to a very small weight of starter (<10g), and feed it up to ~50g. If you try to keep a larger amount of starter on-hand, you end up with tons of discard. Discard down to 50g? Then you need to feed it 150-250g of flour/water, which will be a full cup of discard at the next feeding in just 2 days! Easy to get overwhelmed. So keep your starter small, you only want to keep it alive & healthy.
- Temperature ... meh. My house stays around 63-65 degrees most days, especially in the winter. My starter stays on the counter, and does just fine. It also does just fine in the summer when the kitchen is closer to 74-75. As I said above, the starter will adapt to the environment you keep it in. Consistency is far more important than exact conditions. If you can keep it consistent, then the yeasts tolerant of those conditions will take over. But if you're swinging it between 63 today, 78 overnight, 68 tomorrow ... No single strain will take over, and you'll end up with a weak starter.

Honestly, the best way to get a strong, healthy sourdough starter? Go to a bakery that does authentic sourdough, and ask them for a tiny bit of their starter. I've almost never come across bakers who are unwilling to share a bit, and a starter that's used daily like that is going to be strong, healthy, and resilient. Once you've got a good healthy starter as a base, you almost have to TRY to kill it.

I am by no means a sourdough expert, but these are lessons that I've learned over nearly a decade of working with sourdough, and also lessons I learned from a trio of brothers who run a very successful sourdough bread-baking business (it's all they do -- nothing but sourdough). But hey, just my 2 cents...

Last edited:

I mostly just bake 2-lb sandwich loaves, then slice & freeze it. I'll keep 4-6 slices at a time thawed in the pantry, and when I need more, it's easy to pull out & thaw or toast up (when you need it NOW). A friend of mine that I've been mentoring on sourdough has made a couple very successful batches of sourdough rolls recently. Again, she just bakes then freezes them, ready to take out & re-warm for dinner when needed.

I've found that small sandwich loaves (<1lb) don't turn out as well for me. It's probably just my process/recipe, and I've never taken the time to fine-tune it. However, a smaller boule can do just fine, and is easy to either use within a few days, or slice & freeze half.

Note: Prior to freezing any bread loaf, I'd suggest pre-slicing it. Yes, you lose some moisture by freezing it post-slice, but trying to thaw a full loaf of bread when you only need a handful of slices is way more trouble (takes a while), and potentially either wasteful or more destructive (by subsequently re-freezing what isn't used).

Last edited:

I haven't shaped my dough into rolls but assume it could be done. I usually bake a loaf for the cutting board on a Saturday morning, and it sits there all weekend, we just take a slice when desired. What's left on Sunday night gets sliced and frozen. It toasts very well, or can be thawed in the nuker for a sandwich.

So, for Christmas I got a kit to make Sourdough Bread. I just started the process this morning. The process to get started is a longer process than I thought.

It says after 12 to 24 hours, discard down to 1/2 cup starter then feed the starter with 1/2 cup water 1/2 cup floor.

So, when it says to discard to just a 1/2 cup of starter you throw away everything but a 1/2 cup and repeat the process for the next 7 days.

Any tips to this part of the process would be appreciated. Thank You

Nooooooo! the discard method is a big waste and totally unnecessary. Use the scrape method:
https://www.culinaryexploration.eu/...le is quite simple,the jar with the scrapings.

I've been baking 100% whole wheat sourdough sandwich loaves about once a week for a few years. My recipe calls for 150 gms of starter. I end up with about 20 gms after I use it. I then feed it 1:1:1 (20 gms starter: 20 gms flour: 20 gms water) and I end up with 60 gms starter. I feed it again the day before I start my bake 1:1:1 (60 gms starter: 60 gms flour: 60 gms water). I end up with 180 gms of starter; just a little more than i need. You can also feed 1:2:2 or even 1:3:3! Once your starter gets active, it is super potent! Once i forgot to feed my starter and made my loaf with only 50 gms of starter and it turned out great. Also, I highly recommend feeding your starter with 100% whole rye flour. Starters LOVE rye flour.

Facebook has some great sourdough groups; i highly recommend! I learned everything i know on the FB group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Who...137022623538&notif_t=group_activity&ref=notif

Have fun!

Call me the contrarian .... But I respectfully disagree with most of what you're hearing right now.
Many of the things you said can be argued once the starter is established. Street is in the infancy stages. We will have to agree to disagree on the tightly sealed container during starter development. Agree once established, I keep mine in a chinese food container, sealed, in the fridge. I kept covered with a thin sheet when I was establishing it, similar to what I use when the loaf is rising. Also agree with the use of Rye. My starter loves the stuff.

Thank You all for the help so much. I will need some advice when the staahtah is ready for actual do something with it. I will update after a while when I feed the animal for the day. Lol

Yes starter is very resilient. DW keeps the starter at the cabin in the fridge when we leave. Cabin temps will be whatever ambient temp is. No problem re-activating it when we return after a few months.
Frozen bread? Yuck! Big YUCK!
DW also makes small half loaves of bread. Perfect for the 2 of us. Fresh bread is like bacon, there ain't no leftovers....

Forgot to take a picture before I discarded and feed the starter today. Still has air pocket bubbles and is a frothy texture on top. I did the test where you drop some starter in a glass of water and see if it floats. The result was it sinks but a few small droplets float.

It doesn't to grow in size from one feeding to the next.

Forgot to take a picture before I discarded and feed the starter today. Still has air pocket bubbles and is a frothy texture on top. I did the test where you drop some starter in a glass of water and see if it floats. The result was it sinks but a few small droplets float.

It doesn't to grow in size from one feeding to the next.

the float test is not reliable. just go by bubbles and volume. note that it will take longer to grow in cooler temps! my starter is very active but takes almost 6 hours to double because my house is kept at 69 degrees F.

street; I think your starter is too thin, try mixing more unbleached flour till you get it about the consistency of a thick pancake batter. The added structure will give a more visible rise when you gauge how active it is, and limit how much hooch you see. Like it was said, once it gets going its not that easily ruined.

So, for Christmas I got a kit to make Sourdough Bread. I just started the process this morning. The process to get started is a longer process than I thought.

It says after 12 to 24 hours, discard down to 1/2 cup starter then feed the starter with 1/2 cup water 1/2 cup floor.

So, when it says to discard to just a 1/2 cup of starter you throw away everything but a 1/2 cup and repeat the process for the next 7 days.

Any tips to this part of the process would be appreciated. Thank You

Try this technique.
https://youtu.be/JA-1f_fTvB4?si=emmxXkltcZHkGR-T

Thank You all again for your help. I will add a little more floor than recommended at the next feed.

Just reading this thread gets me tempted to try this out.
I used to make wine, and I loved the entire process of getting the yeast to ferment, but then killed it.
This is different here as you keep it alive for years, I could tell DW it's our new pet ! :D

Just reading this thread gets me tempted to try this out.
I used to make wine, and I loved the entire process of getting the yeast to ferment, but then killed it.
This is different here as you keep it alive for years, I could tell DW it's our new pet ! :D

It has been something new to try and been fun learning about the process. I hope you give it a try.

I just checked on the staatah (Alveoli). It is growing now and most likely be out of the quart jar by morning. The first sign of expanding has been day 5 that is today. It is alive and well at this time. Now if I can get through the rest of the stages I might get a loaf of bread yet.

To be continued.

Last edited:
Things been happening fast with the starter so this morning I started the stretch fold wait and repeat process. Then the 6 plus hours to double in size than to fridge for another 12 to 15 hours to bake time tomorrow morning.

I believe I have a healthy strong staatah for future use. I'm pretty excited with the learning experience and hoping this last couple steps work out. If it doesn't, I will try again with another loaf.

Here is a picture of the dough bun in the banneton when I was done with the final shaping. This will go in fridge and placed in a plastic bag till morning than in the oven it goes.

Attachments

• IMG_2834.jpg
    IMG_2834.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 9
I think you're going to have bread tomorrow. :)

Man, what a deal to just get it to this point. Now, if it works out, it will be easier to next time. Getting the staatah established to me was the most work and the one that was the most important.

It doubled plus in size in less than 6 hours.

Back
Top Bottom