Rant - The annoying things about work are getting more annoying.

AS2019

Recycles dryer sheets
Okay, so this is just my rant. No need to reply or offer suggestions unless you just want to. Mostly I just need to get this off my chest.

Last October I gave my 60 day notice. They talked me into staying until they can replace me. The replacement has been hired and will start in mid-June. After that, it will take 2 to 6 months to get her up to speed. So I have a goal of retiring by December 31, 2019, at the latest.

But it's really hard to keep my head in the game at this point. Concentrating on my work is difficult for me. All of the little annoyances of the job are even more annoying to me now that I know I don't really have to put up with them at all.

So here's the rub. My partners all know that I want to retire ASAP and that I'm struggling to stay involved and interested on a daily basis. So they're scrutinizing my work more than ever. Clearly they have approved of my work in the past, or they wouldn't have worked so hard to talk me into staying after I gave my notice last October. I appreciate the extra scrutiny, because I really have checked out a little bit. BUT, they are nit picking me to death. We commonly review each other's work to check for mistakes. We notify each other of significant errors that would affect the outcome if they weren't caught and corrected. But we also typically "let slide" those errors which really aren't errors, but just fall into the category of "That's not how I would have done it." Well, they aren't letting those slide anymore. Every few days, someone walks into my office and says "That's not how I would have worded this, so you need to change it." I ask, "Is it incorrect?". "Well, no, but it would be better if you said it like this. I've shown 3 other people and we all agree."

This is draining. Having someone recommend a better way to word something isn't a big deal. But having someone tell you frequently that you need to re-do this or that because they don't like your style is just annoying. I'm already hanging on by a thread to help them out, and they are repaying me by nit picking the work that I'm doing. Every time it happens, the little voice in my head says "Fine, you can do it yourself. I quit." But I bite my tongue and remind myself that it's just a few more months. I can endure the unnecessary criticism for a few more months. Then I have the rest of my life to look back and say "the last few months were kind of annoying, but in the grand scheme of things, it wasn't that bad. I lived and I'm no worse for the wear."

Thanks for listening.

It is 9 more months of this behavior not really a few months.
You have the upper hand. Bring up their behavior and why you think it is happening and if no changes quit after the 60 day notice.
Companies move on after that. Everyone is replaceable and they will survive without you if necessary.

It's the partners' way of paying you back for wanting to move on and have a nice retirement.

Is it possible you can learn something from this, and it will help you once you leave?

It does sound like potentially high school behavior, and not a professional environment.

*** Companies move on after that. Everyone is replaceable and they will survive without you if necessary. ***

NOT ALWAYS !!!

the job i walked out on , limped on for another year before that section was closed and the machines sold for parts ,, but the management always bragged no-one was irreplaceable , i am guessing that bluff was called

You already gave your notice for the end of 2018, it sounds like they dragged their feet finding a replacement that couldn't start until mid June ? You will reach a point one day soon when you will walk out without notice, and turn your phone off...don't look back.

hmm, this could be me in the future. I plan to give long notice for the benefit of my associates but I can see the potential downside.

I’d be soooo gone!
I gave 3 months notice back in 2013, with three weeks vacation included during that time. I did my work, but the higher ups were all questioning why I was leaving. Not to retain me, but to find dirt on some others. I was happy when they found my replacement and was able to train her. Two others did follow me out the door. They were the last remnants of sanity on that team.

OP is the poster child for why I recommend the shortest notice period possible. just search "how long for notice" on this forum and you'll see the many opinions and sad tales of those who gave longer than necessary.

You cannot improve the situation, you can only endure or shorten. And I say this not knowing you or what you do: You are NOT that important and your work WILL be absorbed whenever you leave. You WILL be replaced and the company will move on.

I was RIF'd when I was waiting to ER (yay me, package) but had to stay on for months while they hired someone new (in zero rush) and had me train them over several weeks. They ended up RIF'ing my replacement within the year, so it was all for naught.

Open a calendar, and find a date before the end of April. And that's your new date.

The next time this happens why you don't just say in a pleasant voice, If it's not a big problem I don't want to hear about it. Brief pause, and then...You seem to have forgotten that I'm doing you a favor, if you keep nitpicking my work, I'm outta here. Maybe my replacement will do things exactly the way you want it done, I'll leave you guys to train him in the "correct" way.

You'll have to be serious about it though, and give drop dead notice date if it keeps happening. I have no idea why you are willing to keep working thru nine more months of this treatment.

Last edited:
The title reminds me of a cartoon I saw in a men's magazine years ago.

A naked man and woman are laying in bed, after having a sexual experience. The man says," Sorry I seem so annoyed from work, but your husband is so annoying..."

Next time they say "You need to change this", respond with "Or else what?"

Or what ivinsfan suggested. No reason for you to keep putting up with this for many more months. Tell them "my heart isn't in it anymore, you guys obviously aren't happy with my work, the nitpicking is making it unbearable, so it's time to go."

The next time this happens why you don't just say in a pleasant voice, If it's not a big problem I don't want to hear about it. Brief pause, and then...You seen to have forgotten that I'm doing you a favor, if you keep nitpicking my work, I'm outta here. Maybe my replacement will do things exactly the way you want it done, I'll leave you guys to train him in the "correct" way.

You'll have to be serious about though, and give drop dead notice date if it keeps happening. I have no idea why you are willing to keep working thru nine more months of this treatment.
+1

Reinstate your 60 day notice as long as it is contractually ok. If not, just ignore all but the valid suggestions.

This is an easy one. Tell them that you are unhappy (and explain why if you want). Tell them that you regret agreeing to stay so long after having given them 60 days notice 270 days ago and have decided that your last day of work will be April 30th, but it can be earlier if they prefer. And then stick to it.

Keep your head when all about you are losing theirs

BUT, they are nit picking me to death. We commonly review each other's work to check for mistakes. We notify each other of significant errors that would affect the outcome if they weren't caught and corrected. But we also typically "let slide" those errors which really aren't errors, but just fall into the category of "That's not how I would have done it." Well, they aren't letting those slide anymore. Every few days, someone walks into my office and says "That's not how I would have worded this, so you need to change it." I ask, "Is it incorrect?". "Well, no, but it would be better if you said it like this. I've shown 3 other people and we all agree."

If the partners' objections genuinely are style over substance, then it should be perfectly reasonable to say "Thank you for sharing that. I like it the way it is."

If their objections have merit, the right response is "Thank you for having my back. I'm gonna miss you guys when I'm gone. You're all total sweethearts." A soft answer turneth away wrath.

It is 9 more months of this behavior not really a few months...Bring up their behavior and why you think it is happening and if no changes quit after the 60 day notice.

+1 Nine months is a long time to put up with constant hairsplitting. If it seriously bothers you, then voice your objections in an objective manner. Keep in mind that it may not be deliberate harassment by the soon-to-be-ex partners. It's possible they may be unaware that their behavior toward you has changed, and you might just be more sensitized because of your senior-itis.

It does sound like potentially high school behavior, and not a professional environment.

+1 It doesn't sound professional. However, don't let it prompt you into sacrificing your own professionalism. Mention that you find it bordering on disrespectful, and insist that if it doesn't improve then you can't stay. No emotions, no finger-pointing. You don't want your last career moment to be remembered as a tantrum. Better to depart with your dignity. Good luck!

If I was a indentured servant I'd look for a way out the door. If I was a free person I'd be gone. The door does open?

Why are allowing other people to make you miserable? Go home and stay there.

You gave them 60 days notice and now they are dragging you along against your personal wishes. Of course for double the pay I could see staying for another 9 months and putting up with some of the BS, if not, it's now time to go. My 2 cents.

I agree that you have the upper hand. October +60 days = December so you're pretty much staying another 12 months!! Remind them that you're doing them a favor and that if they don't like what you are presenting to them they can find another person.

You need to get snappy at least once..

I also agree with what ivinsfan said.

You already gave your notice for the end of 2018, it sounds like they dragged their feet finding a replacement that couldn't start until mid June ? You will reach a point one day soon when you will walk out without notice, and turn your phone off...don't look back.
This.

You gave 60 days notice and your “partners” did ... nothing. Months went by before they got around to finding someone.

Now they’re nitpicking your work? I’d say “You’re right. I’ve lost my edge. In order to allieviate you all of the burden of scrutinizing my work, I’m leaving at the end of this week. Bye!”

The OP may have a desire for a positive retirement and therefore look /hope for a non-confrontational way to deal with this. That's not easy, especially it the partners are unhappy with, or even fearful, of his upcoming departure. Maybe a one-on-one session of "clear talk" with each of the partners.

The OP may have a desire for a positive retirement and therefore look /hope for a non-confrontational way to deal with this. That's not easy, especially it the partners are unhappy with, or even fearful, of his upcoming departure. Maybe a one-on-one session of "clear talk" with each of the partners.

Agree but the partners being unhappy or fearful about his departure isn't really his problem.

Give them one chance with a pleasant but firm comment and if it happens again leave on your own terms.

If I was OP I would book a flight to some place nice, land, and call in. Sorry I'm done, send them a pic of the beach.

Well unless he's walking away from a fat pay out like other posters here if they left early, who cares about a non-confrontational retirement or if the partners will be unhappy?? sometimes we have to be selfish and worry about our own happiness first.

You gave a 60 day notice 6 months ago and agreed to stay until replacement was hired, which has happened. No statement if you also agreed to stay on until replacement was trained.
It's not your fault the new person can't start until mid June, nor is it necessarily your responsibility to stay and train him/her, especially if they are nit picking your work now.
Personally, I would have an honest discussion with them, ask why they are being so picky about your work when there has been no problem in the past and restate your retirement and new date to leave. (since you already have given them 6 months, two weeks should be adequate) Then stick with that date, walk out the door, and enjoy your retirement!:dance:

Back
Top Bottom