Regarding medical marijuana laws...what about life insurance?

thefed

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I always suspected that if you took a blood test (or urine) for life insurance that you'd be tested for marijuana. If you tested positive, I assume they would classify you as a high risk and not cover you? Maybe I'm wrong?

If that IS the case though, I wonder what insurers would do for people with the card (or people who have it now I suppose). Maybe just classify you as a smoker and charge you a higher rate?

I always suspected that if you took a blood test (or urine) for life insurance that you'd be tested for marijuana. If you tested positive, I assume they would classify you as a high risk and not cover you? Maybe I'm wrong?

If that IS the case though, I wonder what insurers would do for people with the card (or people who have it now I suppose). Maybe just classify you as a smoker and charge you a higher rate?

Folks receiving medical marijuana have a medical issue which qualifies them to do so ;). Therefore the insurer will probably want to know what that medical condition is (as indicated on your card) and will take that into consideration in issuing the policy.

For example, say you have cancer and are smoking a little dope for pain relief. The insurance company would rate you as having cancer and being a smoker.

I would imagine that insurers will do what they always have when your pee burns through test tube: rejection.

They would probably reject you, but then again, you probably wouldn't care much - and just go light up another one.

Back
Top Bottom