Remember Date You Retired?...Know Date You Will Retire?

I will "have" to retire on my birthday, January 18th, 2013. I'll be 55 yrs old. The kind of work I do requires me to be a member of the Air Force Reserves, and that's why I'll be required to retire at age 55, they don't want any old geezers hanging around in the military. Actually, it's not the age, but the fact that the military has a high year of tenure, which is 33 yrs, and I'll be past that by about 3 yrs when I hit age 55. They have to let me stay until my minimum retirement age of 55, but not a day longer. It would be ok with me if they lowered that age even further, I'd go out tomorrow if I wouldn't lose so much from my pension (2% per yr.). Of course, I could leave my present job & find a regular civil service job that didn't require the reserve committment, therefore allowing me to work till I drop.....yeah, right! Even if I change jobs, I'm still goin' out at 55. Not one day later.

Last edited:
I'll have 30 years in the gov't close to June 30, 2021, and I'll be 52. So that's what I'm working towards.

Well my retirement date is July 31st 2007...but I'm going out on July 10 to burn vacation. 3 working days left.

October 31, 2008 or March 31 2010 depending on my net worth next year.
I will be giving up quite a bit to go earlier.

Bigritchie:
Date for me is August 15, 2007 when we close on my business sale. 45 days!

Hey, Congrats, Bigritchie! Selling a business is a complicated venture, and it takes courage! Best of luck!

Be well,

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

how about----TODAY!!!!!

yesterday was my final day

yowser!!!!!!!!

Congratulations Bosco!
You are an inspiration!

Congratulations to all the recent and imminent REs! You are admired and envied!

My projected date is either December 31, 2012 or June 30, 2013. I will be expected to give at least 6 months notice, but the June date would be easier since I could simply announce that I was not renewing my contract.

If possible I would like to RE into a rising market, so if the bear is coming, bring it on now please!

I also want to give my hearty congrats and warm regards to the newly minted ERs, the about to Rock FIREs and the ones who can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm truly excited for you!

June 1st of 2008 is our official retirement date.
With vacation and personal days we will leave our jobs around March of 2008.

Can't wait:D

Back
Top Bottom