Removing Stitches

Be sure that you only cut one side of the stitch. Sometimes people just grab the knot and cut it off. This leaves the suture in the skin. If the doc was nice they left little tails of suture on the knot. Grab the knot or the tails, lift it, get your clean cuticle scissors flush with the skin and cut only one side of the suture loop. The loop of suture will then slide out as you pull on the knot. Quite straight forward in most cases.

I can't even read these responses. Doing so make me too squeamish. No way I could pull out my own stitches.

I can't even read these responses. Doing so make me too squeamish. No way I could pull out my own stitches.

I feel like getting some stitches, just so I can experience this!

-ERD50

OP has stitches in his index finger. As a right handed person, I wouldn't attempt removing stitches from my right index finger. I'd have to do it left handed and the dexterity of my non dominant left hand wouldn't lend itself to removing stitches safely. I had stitches in my left hand twice, and had them removed by the doc both times. I don't think I'd take out my own stitches unless I had to for some reason.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Lol. Valid point Ronstar. Going to be hard to get ahold of the knot with tweezers and cut the suture with the scissors that you are holding in your third hand! May need a wee bit of help.

Well, it depends. The thought makes me squeamish too but if it was gonna cost me $50 or so to have it done I'd go the DIY route. Yeah, I'm that [-]cheap[/-] frugal.

I did pull some out many years ago when the knot on one came undone and I found it wasn't painful at all to pull that one out and then I went ahead and cut/pulled the rest. I think there were only three so it wasn't a large cut.

1. Suture removal at the same facility where you got them should be entirely free. But...

2. Suture removal is a piece of cake. You don't need to clean with rubbing alcohol and dry for 20 minutes. The alcohol isn't a bad idea but it takes just a few minutes to dry.

3. Do not clean your wound with peroxide or rubbing alcohol repeatedly during the week as this inhibits wound healing. You can wash gently with soap and water after two days.

4. A good pair of tweezers and manicure scissors work quite well. I would not use a sewing stitch ripper. It pulls and hurts. Clean them with rubbing alcohol and let dry. Then cut the stitch on one side of the knot and gently pull out.

I've removed stitches from many a friend and family member, even in medical school. It's way easier than you think and pretty much painless.
There really isn't any special training in this. I promise.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I've removed stitches for DW with no problem........now, the heart transplant...make sure you have sharp knives and plenty of drop sheets.

I've removed stitches for DW with no problem........now, the heart transplant...make sure you have sharp knives and plenty of drop sheets.
And a wet vacuum.

Remove them when they itch.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

The urgent care facility that did the stitching wanted $60 to take them out so did it myself, very easy only took 5 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom