Restaurants in Trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
Orange County is where I live--but I am staying in my cabin in the mountains where there are less cases. I predict most all other colleges will have to go to online classes like UNC did. This is going to destroy the economy of college towns like my town of Chapel Hill.
And that's the rub, no easy answers. There's a tradeoff between controlling the pandemic and economic damage, as many of us have said from the start. Those who wanted one over the other did so naively. Letting the states fend for themselves has/is only making things worse.

Americans can always be counted on to do the right thing, after they've exhausted all the other possibilities...(now more than ever).

Last edited:
Our restaurants are open and they're having problems getting help. Some are offering small bonuses and they are actually reducing their hours. One popular tourist place is now closed Monday and Tuesday because the help won't work.

Our restaurants are open and they're having problems getting help. Some are offering small bonuses and they are actually reducing their hours. One popular tourist place is now closed Monday and Tuesday because the help won't work.
Same situation down on the NC coast.

Is this because the workers are afraid they will be exposed to Covid working at a restaurant? I my area several Covid outbreaks have been traced to restaurants. Maybe the workers are simply afraid to work in a restaurant, I would be.

Is this because the workers are afraid they will be exposed to Covid working at a restaurant? I my area several Covid outbreaks have been traced to restaurants. Maybe the workers are simply afraid to work in a restaurant, I would be.

Well, restaurants aren’t required to pay tip earning wait staff minimum wage. It must be difficult now for restaurants to attract tip compensated workers, as so many attempt to implement social distancing inside the restaurants. Not enough patrons to generate enough tip income. A real challenge for restaurants.

The weakness of a system that relies on tips instead of direct wages.

Don't forget enhanced unemployment payments too.

Well, restaurants aren’t required to pay tip earning wait staff minimum wage. It must be difficult now for restaurants to attract tip compensated workers, as so many attempt to implement social distancing inside the restaurants. Not enough patrons to generate enough tip income. A real challenge for restaurants.

The weakness of a system that relies on tips instead of direct wages.

Keep in mind that is not true in all states. In my state they earn the full minimum wage plus tips. Servers in top restaurants can make a good living.

Joe, I thought the enhanced federal unemployment stopped at the beginning of August (there is a proposed replacement but I understand it is still in the talking stage and has not actually been paid out yet). Here in NC the state unemployment for most workers only runs for 3-4 months so it has run out too.

Keep in mind that is not true in all states. In my state they earn the full minimum wage plus tips. Servers in top restaurants can make a good living.
There’s no getting around all servers are taking a huge hit with diminished capacity regardless of base wages. Most are restricted to 50% capacity and from what I’ve observed first hand they aren’t even reaching that level. Many patrons are staying away for a variety of reasons. The restaurants that do survive aren’t going to be the same for many, many years.

Yes or No!

My belief is they're tired of nonsense of being poorly paid but essential, and PO'ed customers. Then add in down at Joes, where my buddy works, all the customers tip better and the managers don't yell.

Joe, I thought the enhanced federal unemployment stopped at the beginning of August (there is a proposed replacement but I understand it is still in the talking stage and has not actually been paid out yet). Here in NC the state unemployment for most workers only runs for 3-4 months so it has run out too.

Right, so unless the law changes to extend it, we should see a change. It doesn't happen overnight. And some are waiting for an extension.

It is just part. I also support the idea of not wanting to work facing unmasked customers. I sure wouldn't want to work in hospitality right now.

DD2 was making more on unemployment than working. When they were called back they did not have the option of stayong on unemployment.
Many tourist towns hire wait staff from overseas (H2B visas). Doubt if many of the Poles I used to meet in Ocean City are making the trek this summer.

DD2 was making more on unemployment than working. When they were called back they did not have the option of stayong on unemployment.
Many tourist towns hire wait staff from overseas (H2B visas). Doubt if many of the Poles I used to meet in Ocean City are making the trek this summer.

Good point about overseas workers in tourist areas. I honestly forgot. They are HUGE to our tourist economy for such jobs as cleaning and serving.

I also understand about being called back and having to go. Just in general, the employment pool gets smaller when there is the huge incentive to get the check. Unemployment requires you to show you are looking for a job. Let's just say that some look a little harder than others.

Our local Perkins just opened up about a week ago.
Tables in their parking lot under a big canopy like those used for wedding receptions outdoors. I would feel safe eating there.

The health department of one of the NC mountain counties that has a lot of tourists (Transylvania County) just announced that 5 restaurants in that county recently had Covid outbreaks among the staff. Three of the 5 restaurants voluntarily closed and put out information on social media so that customers could be tested, etc. However, 2 of the restaurants have not closed and have not been identified and there is nothing in the state law that requires them to do so. How can the public feel safe about eating in restaurants if we cannot find out which restaurants have had outbreaks?

Last edited:
The health department of one of the NC mountain counties that has a lot of tourists (Transylvania County) just announced that 5 restaurants in that county recently had Covid outbreaks among the staff. Three of the 5 restaurants voluntarily closed and put out information on social media so that customers could be tested, etc. However, 2 of the restaurants have not closed and have not been identified and there is nothing in the state law that requires them to do so. How can the public feel safe about eating in restaurants if we cannot find out which restaurants have had outbreaks?

If it wasn't Covid but Hepatitis C, wouldn't the public have to be notified? I remember when a restaurant employee came ill with Hepatitis C, the restaurant was named and people told.

Why would restaurants be different than any other business? You can contract Covid from anywhere where people come together if anyone there is infected, and it may be another customer, not an employee. In fact employers can make employees take precautions but it’s much harder to get customers to comply. I’ve encountered way more Covid defiant customers at every type of business than I have employees.

Family gatherings are probably more of a risk than restaurants, and they’re happening every day.

You’ve asked this question, and been answered before. And I thought you said you still weren’t going to dine in restaurants?

Last edited:
Why would restaurants be different than any other business? You can contract Covid from anywhere where people come together if anyone there is infected, and it may be another customer, not an employee. Family gatherings are probably more of a risk than restaurants, and they’re happening every day. You’ve asked this question, and been answered before...

This is a notice in NY State from a Taco Bell employee who tested positive for Hepatitis A.

https://www.niagaracounty.com/healt...ring-specific-timeframe-may-have-been-exposed

I don't see why Covid-19 is any different. If the public is exposed, then the public needs to know. It shouldn't matter where the employee got the disease.

If it wasn't Covid but Hepatitis C, wouldn't the public have to be notified? I remember when a restaurant employee came ill with Hepatitis C, the restaurant was named and people told.

I did some brief research and it looks like in NC it is up to the local county health department to notify the public of any kind of outbreak at a restaurant --whether it is something like Hepatitis or Covid. I bet that most any county health department would make a public announcement about Hep C but since Covid is a "political" issue it appears to me some health departments are not making an announcement about it (maybe they still think Covid is just the Flu?)

In any event it seems to me this nondisclosure makes it hard for the public to feel comfortable about eating in restaurants in my state. I wonder what other states are doing?

Hep A has a long incubation and an effective method to prevent it after exposure (immune globulin).

It is somewhat unique, and much different than Covid.

Why would restaurants be different than any other business? You can contract Covid from anywhere where people come together if anyone there is infected, and it may be another customer, not an employee. In fact employers can make employees take precautions but it’s much harder to get customers to comply. I’ve encountered way more Covid defiant customers at every type of business than I have employees.

Family gatherings are probably more of a risk than restaurants, and they’re happening every day.

You’ve asked this question, and been answered before. And I thought you said you still weren’t going to dine in restaurants?

Midpack, I think any business where there is close contact with the public (like a restaurant, salon, doctor, dentist, etc) should be notifying the public if an employee tests positive. I would probably include a grocery store in that too.
Why wouldn't a business want to do what is right and notify its customers?

I am talking about this with some friends and we are going to contact some people we know in the NC legislature and the Governor's office to see if we can get a change in the law on this. I bet all the medical and consumer groups will be in favor of this.

Midpack, you have a good memory--I don't remember asking about this particular issue before but I may have since it is something I feel strongly about. While I don't dine in restaurants I do a lot of take out and I want to be sure the restaurants I use are safe. By the way, is there a rule on this Forum that you can't ask the same question twice?

Hep A has a long incubation and an effective method to prevent it after exposure (immune globulin).

It is somewhat unique, and much different than Covid.

I am not sure what you are saying?

Since there is no cure for Covid-19, just forget it?

Midpack, I think any business where there is close contact with the public (like a restaurant, salon, doctor, dentist, etc) should be notifying the public if an employee tests positive. I would probably include a grocery store in that too.
No to mention it hurts all the restaurants in this case since some people simply won't go to any.

In this case I would be more certain to patronize the restaurants who care about their customers.

I am talking about this with some friends and we are going to contact some people we know in the NC legislature and the Governor's office to see if we can get a change in the law on this. I bet all the medical and consumer groups will be in favor of this.

Midpack, you have a good memory--I don't remember asking about this particular issue before but I may have since it is something I feel strongly about. While I don't dine in restaurants I do a lot of take out and I want to be sure the restaurants I use are safe. By the way, is there a rule on this Forum that you can't ask the same question twice?
Many restaurants close or notify customers if they have an outbreak and it’s good business long term, but it’s their choice. You missed the point though, you are as likely if not more to be infected by another customer at a restaurant, store or other place where people convene. Covid is transmitted by contact with others far more than places, that’s been shown conclusively. You want to force places to report, when that’s not the primary source of transmission? You’re strictly a carry out restaurant customer now, that’s very low risk, also shown conclusively.

And you’re free repeat yourself as often as you like...

Last edited:
I am not sure what you are saying?

Since there is no cure for Covid-19, just forget it?

I didn't say forget it. I said Hep A has a known prevention mechanism after known exposure. There are regulations in many states requiring reporting Hep A, and suggested courses of action, including free injections at county health services.

Covid is novel and there is no such treatment yet. That doesn't mean forget it. It is just different, AND currently outside most regulations.

Harlee is suggesting getting our state to add it to the report list. Good idea. I just looked at NC's list and besides a bunch of well known diseases like listeria and smallpox, they last added SARS and MERS. It needs an update for this new SARS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom