Retirees Work for Fun or Necessity

Of course it's an individual thing. People will likely work if they need to. I like the idea of "Work and Play." I prefer more play than work, however!

I took my Er this past december, had to get out of Newark NJ the public schools are a mess, the neighborhoods are dangerous and my commute of 120 miles a day roundtrip was terrible. The big mortgage and high taxes in NJ were the finishing touches that sent me to the other side. ER'D.

Now with my pension and medical bennies I could be just fine, BUT I love coaching track teams so I got a part time job at a real good high school in the raleigh nc area. I am substitute teaching at a school 2 miles from my house as many or as little as I want.

The extra 1500 a month is well fun money and since we are still in our early 50s SS is not avail until 62.

I re-enter the world of work annually for several months. It never fails that eventually each year someone asks me why in the world I am working when I could be (fishing, golfing, sleeping etc.). My standard reply has always been : "I'm only here for the entertainment."

Back
Top Bottom