Rice cooker problem

I went back and edited my post, I forgot to use the quote tags. May not be important, but just to be clear it was Saveur.com saying that about cooking brown rice, not me.

Oh!! I completely misunderstood. Thanks. That's much clearer now. :flowers:

I also don't have any trouble getting brown rice cooked right in our rice cooker/steamer. But I tend to cook it much longer than it is supposed to take and I use a little less water than suggested.

I have also noticed that Chipotle Mexican Grill has started offering brown rice and when I get it, it is pretty awful because it is not cooked right.

I am not sure of the chemistry/physics but I wonder if brown rice is much more sensitive to storage conditions, altitude, or something similar. I can't imagine that Chipotle did not test their cooking recipe thoroughly at some central test kitchen. But whatever they are doing in the restaurants near me is not working! Their white rice though is always perfect. Anyway, maybe that could explain why your cooker is not doing it right.

Why not just experiment yourself until you find the combination of rice, water, cooking time, and holding time that works for you?

brown rice will go bad quicker (rancid), making it into white rice makes it much more shelf stable.

I love my rice cooker, especially that I have one of the really fancy ones with teflon coating, and a timer. The teflon makes it super easy to clean. I can set it at night and have fresh hot rice in the morning, or set it so I have rice cooked when I get home.

Ah, but cooking it perfectly is easy. Just throw it in my rice cooker along with water up to the line, and go watch TV.

Honestly, I never had brown rice that was as tender and delicious before.
Same here! Except that I use standard measuring cups to measure the rice and water.

Audrey

Same here! Except that I use standard measuring cups to measure the rice and water.

Audrey

Aren't good rice cookers great? I keep the non-standard rice cooker measuring cup that came with it out and on top of my microwave, though it would be just as easy using a standard measuring cup. Using the non-standard cup I dip out a half cup of rice, dump it in, then water up to the line (the same as a full cup using that cup, for white rice). Dump! Dump! Push the button! and I'm done and zooming off to watch my show. :dance:

Back
Top Bottom