Right to Dissent

In the TIME article THE RIGHT TO DISSENT & THE DUTY TO ANSWER - TIME, it hits on unusual measures that the U>S government took against it's own people to quell dissent.

Just like then, the U.S government, the supporters of the Iraq War and of Old George W, are now using fear, panic and the issue of national security to quell dissent and to curtail our civil liberities.

Here is hoping that those who do not agree with this post will NOT resort to name calling, personal attacks, accusations of giving aid and comfort to the enemy, accusations that dissenters do not support the troops, the questioning of one's -pa·tri·ot·ism, etc..., etc...., etc....

I served my country and thus my pa·tri·ot·ism should not even be an issue.

Here a couple of quotes on dissent and a paragraph from the Time Article

We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. When the loyal opposition dies, I think the soul of America dies with it - Edward R. Murrow.

Dissent is the highest form of patriotism - Thomas Jefferson

EVERY day in every way, things are getting worse and worse. They are, that is, in the angry eyes of those who disapprove of U.S. policy in Viet Nam. As they see it, the very expression of their dissent is getting more dangerous. So it was that to Senator J. William Fulbright, General Westmoreland's report to Congress signaled nothing less than an onslaught of official repression that might silence dissenters altogether by branding them traitors. Said he on the Senate floor: "This, I fear, is one of the last times that anybody will have the courage to say anything else about the war." - Paragraph from the Time Article.

GOD BLESS:angel:

Last edited:
Thanks, Wags. It was an interesting article.

It's such a slippery slope that there are times I'm amazed that we have survived as a nation of free people as long as we have.

Coach

Back
Top Bottom