Road Trip - Las Vegas Base

PaunchyPirate

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This past weekend I decided to get out of town. Tomorrow, I fly into Las Vegas for a week of road tripping around. I'm actually driving to Pittsburgh tonight and getting an airport hotel because of expected freezing rain overnight. I didn't want to risk missing my flight in the morning (I'm 2 hours away from the airport).

For the most part, I have very little interest in Las Vegas itself. I'll walk around the strip some if I have time after doing my day trips. My plans include exploring:

Death Valley National Park
Red Rock Canyon
Fire Valley State Park
Western Rim of the Grand Canyon
Joshua Tree National Park
Palm Springs area (2 nights)

I figure this will keep me busy for a week and out of the cooler weather in Pennsylvania.

Hoover dam is nearby and a neat visit. The tour going inside and into the dam is really interesting. Some of your locations are pretty far drive for day trips, you will be spending a lot of time on the road. Have fun.

Sounds like a great trip! Not ever been there but looks like a full load of adventure for a week.

Looks like a very busy travel/drive trip for one week.
Enjoy

You've got some pretty sites. We recently camped in Red Rock Canyon as a base, spent one day doing the red rock canyon loop, with hikes at various stops along the way. The visitors center there is amazing - it frames the view perfectly... some architect had a vision. We did a day trip to Valley of Fire. Gorgeous. There's a hike that has amazing petroglyphs. (There's a spot in Red Rock Canyon, also - but they are better in Valley of Fire. Specifically the very easy Mouse's Tank hike.)

Joshua Tree can be done as a day trip from Palm Springs. Drive up towards 29 palms and enter the park... Drive through the park (stopping for views and hikes on the upper portion of the park) and then drop down (heading south) on your way to Rt. 10. It is stark and amazing - like two different worlds - when you move from the high desert to the lower desert. It's a full day - but it's the best way to see it.

Also in Palm Springs - take the tram up Mt. San Jacinto. You go from desert to alpine/snow. Amazing views. Bring a jacket and shoes that are ok in the snow. We used to love taking the kids on long weekends to Palm Springs with a morning spent in the snow, followed by an afternoon poolside. The tram is pretty cool, too.

My sister just returned from Death Valley - it was *hot* - but a storm just came (is here) in SoCal - which might have moderated temps. She had temps around 100 last week. It's a pretty long drive from where you're based.... so if you run out of time - that's the one I'd cut. But it's cool to go to the lowest/dryest place on the planet... and again, there are some good hikes... BUT - the views are better in Red Rock, Valley of Fire, and Joshua Tree.

Hoover dam is nearby and a neat visit. The tour going inside and into the dam is really interesting. Some of your locations are pretty far drive for day trips, you will be spending a lot of time on the road. Have fun.

Thanks! I've been to Las Vegas a few times and have already been to Hoover Dam and did the tour. So I won't be visiting there this time.

Valley of Fire

Valley of Fire is amazing. I spent two weeks there last time I was in the area.

You've got some pretty sites. We recently camped in Red Rock Canyon as a base, spent one day doing the red rock canyon loop, with hikes at various stops along the way. The visitors center there is amazing - it frames the view perfectly... some architect had a vision. We did a day trip to Valley of Fire. Gorgeous. There's a hike that has amazing petroglyphs. (There's a spot in Red Rock Canyon, also - but they are better in Valley of Fire. Specifically the very easy Mouse's Tank hike.)

Joshua Tree can be done as a day trip from Palm Springs. Drive up towards 29 palms and enter the park... Drive through the park (stopping for views and hikes on the upper portion of the park) and then drop down (heading south) on your way to Rt. 10. It is stark and amazing - like two different worlds - when you move from the high desert to the lower desert. It's a full day - but it's the best way to see it.

Also in Palm Springs - take the tram up Mt. San Jacinto. You go from desert to alpine/snow. Amazing views. Bring a jacket and shoes that are ok in the snow. We used to love taking the kids on long weekends to Palm Springs with a morning spent in the snow, followed by an afternoon poolside. The tram is pretty cool, too.

My sister just returned from Death Valley - it was *hot* - but a storm just came (is here) in SoCal - which might have moderated temps. She had temps around 100 last week. It's a pretty long drive from where you're based.... so if you run out of time - that's the one I'd cut. But it's cool to go to the lowest/dryest place on the planet... and again, there are some good hikes... BUT - the views are better in Red Rock, Valley of Fire, and Joshua Tree.

I do plan on going up the tram to Mt. San Jacinto. It's on my list while in that area.

I was somewhat surprised to see the high temperatures they are getting already. That's one reason why I jumped to do this quickly. I didn't want to wait much longer or it will be too hot to do anything out that way.

Valley of Fire is amazing. I spent two weeks there last time I was in the area.

It looks beautiful. Unfortunately, I'm no longer in good enough shape to do anything but the easiest of hiking trails. So I will likely not see the best of the park. But I'll see what I can do. You having 2 weeks there is amazing.

If you do end up going to death valley keep an eye on your gas tank. The park is enormous and I believe there are only two gas stations in the park.

If you run short on time, this is the one park on your list I would skip.

I'd consider Zion National Park too, if I could stay away from the tables long enough. :) About 150 miles from Vegas and great scenery.

Last edited:
I'd consider Zion National Park too, if I could stay away from the tables long enough. :) About 150 miles from Vegas and great scenery.

Beautiful place. I've been there twice already. But it's first on the list to revisit if I need to skip one of the other places on my itinerary.

Oddly enough I just did a road trip from SoCal to St. George, UT (via Las Vegas) last week. Lovely conditions all along the route this time of year.

PS. If you ride mountain bikes there's some fabulous MTBing in both Vegas and the St. George/Hurricane area. Beautiful scenery too...

Attachments

• church-rocks-pano3.jpg
    church-rocks-pano3.jpg
    765 KB · Views: 27
  • wire-pano1.jpg
    wire-pano1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:
To me Death Valley has a stark beauty to it. I enjoyed staying overnight at the posh old resort there. It's been renovated since I was there. Not sure I'd stay more than a night in Palm Springs. The tram to the mountain top is interesting and I suppose if you're into mid century modern home architecture there's lots to see.

Las Vegas resident chiming in.

I've had to drive to the Grand Canyon dozens of times -- every time we have a visitor who hasn't seen it.

The Western Rim glass walkway is a total rip off. You will pay $50 to take a bus the last few miles on a dirt road. Pay $125 (and this was years ago, probably more now) to get on the walkway. And then you'll pay someone to take your picture on the walkway because cameras and phones aren't allowed. Seriously, Google "Skywalk Rip Off" if you're still considering it.

For that money, it is better to take the helicopter trip from Las Vegas that lands in the canyon and includes a picnic lunch.

If you drive to the Southern Rim -- drive to Flagstaff and turn north -- you're looking at a six-hour driving day. And unless you wake up at oh-dark-thirty, it will be too late in the day to walk any length into the canyon. It would be better to take one of your Palm Springs days, and get a hotel in Flagstaff so you can really see the canyon. If you do that, you're also in striking distance of Sedona -- which I think is more interesting than a few of your itinerary points. They also make good wine in that area, which could be a plus. The town of Sedona is a mystic-crystal-tourist-trap. But the surrounding area is beautiful.

Valley of Fire is absolutely worth it.
Red Rock canyon is nice, too. And close. But could be skipped to see other things.
And I agree with everyone about Zion. It's a pleasant drive (and could be combined with your Valley of Fire day if you leave early enough) and it's one of my favorite National Parks.
I'd also consider skipping California entirely and spending more time in Utah or Arizona -- Moab and Zion; Grand Canyon and Sedona.

Yea, I know it's a lot of driving. But I enjoy those type of trips.

Are you locked into the whole week in Vegas proper, once we had a whole really cheap Vegas week planned and booked then just slept a night or two in Mesquite or even St George. With the price of gas it wouldn't cost much extra..

Just be sure and leave some personal items sitting in your hotel room so they don't think you checked out or put the no housekeeping sign on the door.

Zion is marvelous, but can be very crowded. IIRC, visitors have to park near the entrance and take shuttle bus here and there. I was surprised to run into a number of foreign visitors while I was there. Apparently, it is well known world-wide. And lots of tour groups that visit Vegas, make a stop there also. So, it's crowded. My advice is to go, but get there early. Its well worth it.
Shuttle Service resumed in Zion Canyon and Springdale on March 19, 2022

• Shuttle service has resumed in Zion Canyon and Springdale.
  • During the shuttle season visitors cannot drive personal vehicles on Zion Canyon Scenic Drive.
  • Face masks are required on all shuttles.

Zion is marvelous, but can be very crowded. IIRC, visitors have to park near the entrance and take shuttle bus here and there. I was surprised to run into a number of foreign visitors while I was there. Apparently, it is well known world-wide. And lots of tour groups that visit Vegas, make a stop there also. So, it's crowded. My advice is to go, but get there early. Its well worth it.

Zion is awesome but a good swap out for the OP would be Snow Canyon State park in St George...it's a gem. Sand Hollow is pretty awesome as well.

5 million people visited Zion in 2021. April is also pretty high season at the park.

If you have time on your Joshua Tree leg of the trip Pioneertown is not very far from there and kind of a cool place- Have a burger at Pappy and Harriets if you go!!
https://visitpioneertown.com/businesses-in-pioneertown

Near (kind of) Palm Springs you have Anza Borrego State Park, The Salton Sea, Borrego Springs and a bit further the little town of Julian. All really cool places to visit. Some driving required but it sounds like you enjoy the raod trip portion

Also in Vegas, if you haven't done it, the Mob museum is always fun

Safe travels and enjoy your trip!!

If you do end up going to death valley keep an eye on your gas tank. The park is enormous and I believe there are only two gas stations in the park.

If you run short on time, this is the one park on your list I would skip.

Interesting. Everyone has their preferences, I guess. Death Valley is actually at the top of my list and would be the last thing I would skip. I'm a former geologist/geographer and totally enjoy seeing nature's variety of landscapes. I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

To me Death Valley has a stark beauty to it. I enjoyed staying overnight at the posh old resort there. It's been renovated since I was there. Not sure I'd stay more than a night in Palm Springs. The tram to the mountain top is interesting and I suppose if you're into mid century modern home architecture there's lots to see.

I don't have much interest in Palm Springs. I'm actually staying in Palm Desert, not that it matters. Since I will be spending a long day driving down from Las Vegas to get to Joshua Tree National Park and then exploring the park in that same day, I needed to stay in the area. If I need more time in the park, I will do that the next day. Time permitting, I will do the tram up the mountain in Palm Springs. Anything else I do that day will just be random looking around mostly. And I do like mid-century modern stylings, so that might be part of what I look at.

I didn't really want to also drive back to Las Vegas that second day. So I'll spend the second night in the Palm Desert and then get up early and drive back to Vegas on my final day in the area.

I love Anza and Salton Sea - but he'll be getting plenty of desert driving through the Mojave to Palm Springs.

PPirate - the Mouse's tank hike in Valley of Fire is short and level. It's very doable even for out of shape folks. And there are excellent petroglyphs. In Red Rock Canyon there is a 1/4 mile hike (hardly even a hike) to see some petrographs and petroglyphs adjacent to each other.

I was just in Red Rock/Valley of Fire 2 weeks ago. And was in Joshua Tree in November.

Las Vegas resident chiming in.

I've had to drive to the Grand Canyon dozens of times -- every time we have a visitor who hasn't seen it.

The Western Rim glass walkway is a total rip off. You will pay $50 to take a bus the last few miles on a dirt road. Pay $125 (and this was years ago, probably more now) to get on the walkway. And then you'll pay someone to take your picture on the walkway because cameras and phones aren't allowed. Seriously, Google "Skywalk Rip Off" if you're still considering it.

For that money, it is better to take the helicopter trip from Las Vegas that lands in the canyon and includes a picnic lunch.

If you drive to the Southern Rim -- drive to Flagstaff and turn north -- you're looking at a six-hour driving day. And unless you wake up at oh-dark-thirty, it will be too late in the day to walk any length into the canyon. It would be better to take one of your Palm Springs days, and get a hotel in Flagstaff so you can really see the canyon. If you do that, you're also in striking distance of Sedona -- which I think is more interesting than a few of your itinerary points. They also make good wine in that area, which could be a plus. The town of Sedona is a mystic-crystal-tourist-trap. But the surrounding area is beautiful.

Valley of Fire is absolutely worth it.
Red Rock canyon is nice, too. And close. But could be skipped to see other things.
And I agree with everyone about Zion. It's a pleasant drive (and could be combined with your Valley of Fire day if you leave early enough) and it's one of my favorite National Parks.
I'd also consider skipping California entirely and spending more time in Utah or Arizona -- Moab and Zion; Grand Canyon and Sedona.

I've already been to the Southern Rim twice (fall and early spring (snow)). I've also already been to Sedona and Flagstaff areas. I've also already twice done the Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Arches, Lake Powell circle.

I've read the reviews (positive and negative) of the Western Rim attraction. I realize what I'm getting for my money. I'm good with it. I don't mind supporting the Hualapai Tribe.

Zion is awesome but a good swap out for the OP would be Snow Canyon State park in St George...it's a gem. Sand Hollow is pretty awesome as well.

5 million people visited Zion in 2021. April is also pretty high season at the park.

Thanks. I'll keep these in mind if I decide to adjust my current plans.

Back
Top Bottom