Robin Williams has died

In my experience as a benefits and HR manager, I was often frustrated at the lack of help available in the health care system to diagnose and treat these illnesses. New laws are attempting to give mental health parity though. And no matter what anyone says, behind closed doors, there is a lack of education and respect regarding how individuals with these ailments will be treated after these illnesses.

Even several days after Robin Williams death, I still feel shocked and saddened about this. What Robin needed for healing just wasn't - and, isn't - available.

This is very sad. We may never know why he decided to take his own life but if it was because he felt unappreciated, the outpouring after his death proves otherwise. Unfortunately, after he is gone.

His wife has now revealed that he had early symptoms of Parkinson's disease. We already know that he was struggling to keep up with alimony bills, had difficulty selling a McMansion, and was doing work that wasn't his first choice in order to improve cash flow. Plenty of reasons why a person who already suffered from depression might feel backed into a corner and might view his own exit as a viable choice.

I read somewhere that if you take your worst day, and multiply it by 1000, you'll understand depression.

Not to be morbid, but I've heard suicidal depression described as being "when your mind beats you to death with your thoughts."

Truly sad.

I agree. In my movie watching, I found myself drawn to his ability to show us many of the painful moments of our lives. What Dreams May Come is one if the strangest and most compelling works I have ever seen. The view of suicide in that movie is very dark, and not one with which I agree.

My DH got to see him live at the Punch Line in SF, once expected and once impromptu, while a student at SF State. Our first "date" was his disastrous movie, "Popeye". I put "date" in parentheses because the venue didn't matter...we had been infatuated for 3 years. I felt the disappointment of the cancellation of his show. I remember worrying about him then.

Our world has lost a voice of humanity and sanity in an insane world. We are all better for his existence. It's too bad that he didn't know just how loved he was.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I understand he had a Parkinson's diagnosis. Given that, all his other medical issues and depression his suicide is understandable. There are times when a person says to themselves enough is enough. He will be missed, I wish he knew how much, I just wish he hadn't felt that he had to take his life in that way.

I understand he had a Parkinson's diagnosis. Given that, all his other medical issues and depression his suicide is understandable. There are times when a person says to themselves enough is enough. He will be missed, I wish he knew how much, I just wish he hadn't felt that he had to take his life in that way.

I would not be surprised if his family gives more details of the past few month's on Robin Wiliams' life in the months ahead. But they must still be processing and grieving their loss.

One would have never known that he had early Parkinson's on his recent tv show "The Crazy Ones" he still seemed as energetic and joking around as ever.

Last edited:
When one's mind operates at a different plane/speed/level, as did Williams', there may be very few others around who can relate. That can be a lonely existence.

When one's mind operates at a different plane/speed/level, as did Williams', there may be very few others around who can relate. That can be a lonely existence.

That is often how great geniuses in many fields are described. Great genius can be perceived by those who possess it as a curse rather than a blessing.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom