Roundworms in Cats

tangomonster

Full time employment: Posting here.
I know there are a number of cat people here---Purron and others. Please reassure me!

Today Belina threw up (rare for her) and there was something besides kibble in it. Looked like a one inch dried strand of spaghetti. I think it's roundworms! I'm totally freaked out. The vet can't see her until tomorrow.

What's really freaking me out is that she must have had for the entire last year----since we adopted her exactly a year ago. We were told she had been dewormed. She's seemed absolutely fine.

Will she be okay? Any experience with this?

Yup. Sound like worms to me. Very common with rescue cats. In my experience, roundworms are rarely a serious problem unless it's a tiny kitten or a very frail cat.

I'm pretty confident she'll be just fine even though it apprears she's had them for quite some time. Get some dewormer from your vet and make sure to do the doses as they recommend. Don't get dewormer from a pet supply store. Oh, and don't worry about getting worms yourself. Won't happen. Thanks for adopting a rescue kitty. Keep us posted:)

=^..^=

Last edited:
Don't worry! And they can get worms later, even after being wormed, weird I know!
I just had to treat my 17 year old kitty for tapeworm! Ugh! No symptoms until the last week or so, but he's so old I took him right in. Weird because he hardly ever even steps foot outside.
It is no biggie--and she was probably wormed then, but they can pick them up easily, or sometimes the meds don't kill all of them. Happens all the time in rescue dogs, too.

+1 on the thanks for adopting a rescue kitty!

Parasites are part of the package of owning domestic pets. They can pick them up from outside, exposure to other pets/animals, and sometimes from insect bites. If the pet is otherwise healthy, there's usually nothing to be overly concerned about. I can echo what others have said. Bring a fresh stool sample to the vets.

tangomonster -

I cannot add anything to what has already been said here as I have only been a cat owner for about 2 years and have had no experience with worms so far. However, it looks as if you have already received good advice.

The reason I am commenting is to add my +1 - a big +1, to the thanks for adopting a rescue cat. I hope she brings much joy and love to your household!

Thanks so much for replying. It did reassure me and allowed me to sleep last night.

Belina does indeed have roundworms (confirmed by stool sample and the segment of a worm found in her vomit). All it required was a pill today and one three weeks from now. Looks like she can still have a long, happy life. My only very minor concern now is that she could possibly gain some weight once the worms are no longer sharing in her food.

And I appreciate the acknowledgment about adopting a rescue cat, but it truly was my pleasure. Living below my means would never allow me to spend money on a cat....when wonderful felines are available for free. My husband and I didn't come with pedigrees, so why should we demand that a furkid have them? I always get a kick when people talk about their previous lives and they are sure they were Egyptian queens. If I had a previous life, I am quite sure I would have been one of the slaves/serfs building the pyramids (and no early retirement for me!).

On the slight off-chance that anyone reading this is in the SF Bay Area, there is an adoption agency here called Cat Town who specialize in finding homes for cats that don't do too well in shelters and have trouble being adopted. These are mainly shy cats who don't "show" well and older cats. For anyone adopting a senior cat (by which they mean 10 years and older) they will cover the kitty's medical bills for life.

I don't volunteer for them, but am a happy customer/adopter and can testify to their dedication and excellent support to foster and adoptive parents.

Cat Town

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom