Screen names

When I registered it was notmuchlonger to retirement. That has long since past. Learned a lot and chatted with superb folks here. Hope they are enjoying it as much as I am!

A reminder to me of a path in life I avoided, by the luck of having great parents and adult role models.

Pokey told me we should use our real names.

Overweight bicyclist in a hilly area.

I ride often, but am a featherweight. I rode a few years ago with a close friend here in San Diego who's a little on the larger side. As he sped past me on a descent, he yelled, "graaaaaaaavityyyyyyyyyyy."

I returned the favor on the subsequent climb. :D

Light years ago in a far away state, my at-the-time boyfriend's boss referred to me as "choice ...." So, when I needed a nom de plume for here, I mentally revisited my misspent youth.

...LOL @ Gumby's answer...

Some time ago I heard the saying "We all have two lives. The second one begins when you realize you only have one." It stunned my simpleton brain and stayed with me, and I began to feel very mortal.

There is a nerdy MMO undercurrent to the name as well.

Mine's pretty self-explanatory. Live in San Diego, love to hike. We spend nearly every Saturday out on a trail.

You got it arky.

After 25 years of being retired, one thing that can irk me is meeting someone who keeps talking about their past job. 'In my past life, I was X'. I think picking a handle that refers to your past might indicate such a tendency. Whaddaya think? Is there some psychological signifigance to the handle someone chooses? That question strikes me as much more interesting than just, 'how did you pick your handle?'

Gamer handles are often about what the person would wannabe for example. Like 'topgun' or 'widowmaker' for example. It's also like vanity license plates. 'Fred2' for example is boring and shows no imagination whatsoever.

On the other hand there is the vanity plate I saw many years ago on a little classic 1970s mercedes 450SL covertible. It was canary yellow and being driven by a very attractive blonde woman. The plate read WASHIS. I'd say that pretty much told you all there was to know.

I had a 'Seraphm' license plate ...*grin*

But I'm trying to forget my past...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Nothing at all really. Once when looking for a source of creativity for naming various computer wireless access points on a network, I figured it was easy to google up various Greek mythology names quickly. Never really spent much time philosophizing on the choices. Selecting a username here seemed to be a similar exercise, so there you have it.

Invest wisely

The first forum I joined (not e-r.org) was related to saving and investing. Ever since then I've used the same name/handle for all forums.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

One of the winemakers at my last full time job dubbed me "Mango" as a nickname, and it stuck. I was born in '56, so there you go.

Mine's simply Live Beneath Your Means. I was surprised it wasn't taken.

When I was working, my technical specialty was storage area networks, or SANs. I was the SAN man. I found out years ago that the name SANMAN was almost always taken. Since I live in Michigan, I used that to come up with MISANMAN and I've found it always to be unique.

I used my daughter's nickname. She was sitting next to me when I was creating my account.

I should probably change it at some point, maybe if I start posting here regularly.

"Theodore" means "Gift of God". I am only Ted, which means "Easy to type." I added Shepherd in honor of my German Shepherd Dog. Since he was a police dog, I named him Chips in honor of the California Highway Patrol. Some other names I used online years ago are "Chips Boss" and "Chips Shepherd".

Back
Top Bottom