Security camera

Souschef

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DW wants an outdoor camera to look down at the entrance. There are so many variables I am unsure how to go. Help!
Thanks

A Ring camera or doorbell is a pretty easy solution. I'm happy with mine. You need a subscription if you want video saved.

I apologize for not being more specific. DW wants to have a camera that looks down from our 2nd floor balcony down to the entrance to our building.

There are a number of cameras that run on battery and hook to the internet that are pretty easy to install and set up. I wouldn't call any of them a security camera, but if you just want to see what's going on outside by picking up your phone and swiping, they work pretty good.

If you have power outside, you can swap out a light for a camera and hard wire the power. I have one that replaced a flood light and lights up with motion (like the light did), but includes a camera. I think it's called the Ring Floodlight Camera.

If you want a true security camera, you probably need to be more specific. IMHO, a security camera is hard wired and the video is stored on site. A bit more complex.

Wyze camera's are ~$35 for the V3 model.

I love them.
Free 14 day cloud storage.
Also stores on the camera with a flash card inserted.
App on phone controls it.
Get alerts for motion.
It has incredible night vision without the use of infared lights, totally amazing compared to most camera's. (much better than the V2 model).

https://wyze.com/wyze-cam.html

We also have Wyze cameras. 9 of them. Work great. Video via wi-fi. Power via house wiring/receptacles. Wyze has optional long cords +/- 30' to get to receptacles.

I have a Blink camera inside my condo. It was simple and I like it. Idk if they make cameras for the exterior or not, but it’s worth looking into.

The important factors are, where can you secure it, and how can you power it and connect it to your home network? The degree of weatherproofing you'll need, and whether you can or want to run cords or have a rechargable battery will narrow your choices. I've also used Wyze and Arlo, and they're both pretty good.

Yes have Wyze and Arlo here as well. Personally I would go with Wyze as much simpler although if you need remote battery powered then Arlo.

I use 4 Ring cameras, doorbell, inside living room, outside patio and one up on garage peak that sees the driveway.

That driveway camera would work well for your balcony.

I learned you can talk to someone via the Ring doorbell even if you are not there.

Stayed at an AirBnb in a guest apartment separate from the house. Nobody was staying in the main house. Went over there to see if the grill on the deck worked, the one by our room did not. Heading back past the front door I hear, Hello! Hello! I said, uh hi. They wanted to know are you the renters? Uh yes, just looking around. I guess otherwise they would have called the cops on us. :LOL:

I apologize for not being more specific. DW wants to have a camera that looks down from our 2nd floor balcony down to the entrance to our building.

Is this a condo or a single home? I'm not sure if it would be legal for a resident in a condo to have a camera pointed to record the main entrance to the building, you might want to check with your board before getting too invested, if that's the case.
If I'm wrong, carry on! Love our Ring, very easy to install, and has enough range if pointed to go 10-12 feet.

I purchased a Nest Cam IQ which is wired, but have not yet installed it. If you place the camera high enough it might become inconvenient changing batteries periodically, so if not too difficult to hardwire for power, I much prefer that.

I never had one when I lived in the "big city" but I did install several on my country property to monitor/record various points while we were away. We used it for a few years and never saw anything other than various wild animals passing through. When we moved up here permanently I disconnected the system. Just not needed anymore.

I have 2 Ring outdoor cameras installed in trees facing our house. They are battery powered, but I also purchased the companion solar panel to recharge the battery continuously. I have motion detection on, so I get an alert when there is movement, but I can adjust the sensitivity or turn it off.

+1 for Ring cameras. We use the plug in type. We have 9 installed around our property. We have had them for ~2 years with no problems.

Our condo association has cameras at the entrances, common areas for safety. No clue why you would want your own.

Our condo association has cameras at the entrances, common areas for safety. No clue why you would want your own.

I can think of about 20 reasons off the top of my head. Just because the HOA *might* have cameras, that doesn't mean that they would make any recording available to the owners.

We have these cameras (indoor) and have had them for several years. They work very well and they are positioned in the house, but looking out the windows. The night vision isn't great, but we have a few game cameras set up outside to supplement the indoor cameras.

Since the cameras use Wi-Fi (also have SD cards), I have set them up on a different network (as I have done with all out IoT devices).

Last edited:
DW wants an outdoor camera to look down at the entrance. There are so many variables I am unsure how to go. Help!
Thanks

I would recommend Blink. There is a camera (or multiple cameras) and a system module. The system module plugs into 110v and connects to your home wi-fi. Each camera has two lithium AA batteries that last about 2 years and also commects to your home wi-fi.

There is an app that can be used on your smartphone or tablet to set-up and control the system.

When the camera senses motion it begins taking a video clip and pushes the video clip to the cloud. Then I get a notification on my phone or tablet and can view the clip. I can also turn on the camera and talk with whoever is there.

The camera also tells me the temperature and I can turn it on to see what is going on... like did we get snow that day, how much snow has melted, etc.

The beauty of the system is that there are no wires other than to plug the system module into the wall and no monthly fees. Jut replace the camera batteries every other year.

A one camera kit is $100, two camera kit is $180 and a three camera kit is $250.

https://www.amazon.com/Blink-Outdoo...amera-2cam/dp/B086DKSYTS?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

I have a Blink camera inside my condo. It was simple and I like it. Idk if they make cameras for the exterior or not, but it’s worth looking into.

Yes, they do make cameras for outside... I have 3 of them and they work flawlessly.

Back
Top Bottom