Seeing ex-colleagues

I agree completely. Many, many people can't imagine doing what they want to do, all day, every day. They simply can't imagine it. The structure of a job is what they crave, having someone tell them where to be and at what time. I personally chafed at that for years and the day I retired, I reveled in the freedom. Freedom!

It's so hard for me to imagine NOT being able to imagine what I wanted to do. I too revel in it. And, to me, I'm not retired, I'm independently wealthy. Even without wealth, I feel wealthy.

Some just can't let go . . .

Had an uncle who was an engineer with CalTrans for quite a while and he was determined to never retire but had to. Had previously retired as a Full Commander in the US Navy with pension and waited until 70 for Soc Sec. Outlived two wives and had no debt. No real-life outside of work as I guess that's where he found his satisfaction and self-identity. Once he did retire he sort of unraveled and despite his good financial resources, you'd think he was homeless to look at him.

For him, work was who and what he was and once that was gone he couldn't find anything else that mattered or so it seemed. Passed away approaching 90 and lived the life of a hermit. We had to beg him to get in a 24/7 health monitoring / assisted living condo near the beach after too many medical emergencies. Once he got there after about a month he loved it. Too bad he only got about a year out of the experience before he passed.

I dropped into the office yesterday to drop off a package to an former co-worker.. within 2 seconds there were screams and got attacked with HUGS...
then they gave me a job application...

then they gave me a job application...

A bit OT, but...

I got a good laugh this morning- a recruiting firm that probably got my info from LinkedIn sent me a note telling me that my previous employer was looking for an actuary. I resigned from there in 2014 because the politics got toxic and have been happily retired since. Among the papers I signed when I resigned was one acknowledging that I was not eligible for re-hire. Usually they save those for someone who sexually harassed their employees or embezzled money from the company. I assure you I did neither. I replied with this info and thanked them for the laugh.

It's so hard for me to imagine NOT being able to imagine what I wanted to do. I too revel in it. And, to me, I'm not retired, I'm independently wealthy. Even without wealth, I feel wealthy.

As long as you have "enough" you ARE wealthy! Enjoy.

A bit OT, but...

I got a good laugh this morning- a recruiting firm that probably got my info from LinkedIn sent me a note telling me that my previous employer was looking for an actuary. I resigned from there in 2014 because the politics got toxic and have been happily retired since. Among the papers I signed when I resigned was one acknowledging that I was not eligible for re-hire. Usually they save those for someone who sexually harassed their employees or embezzled money from the company. I assure you I did neither. I replied with this info and thanked them for the laugh.

My Megacorp was OCD about NOT "re-hiring" ANYONE who had quit, retired, come-back-from-the dead, whatever! Shortly before I FIREd I noticed one of our retired engineers (who had retired as a building manager.) I struck up a conversation with him and apparently he was w*rking with a local contractor. He got bored and hired on with the contractor who assigned him to our plant site. The buzz spread around the plant site like wild fire. It was less than a week before the guy was gone. Too bad, 'cause he knew the plant and was an excellent Chem E. Megacorp was well known for cutting off its nose to spite its face (or at least to "follow its own rules" at all costs.) Each megacorp seems to have its own quirks, foibles and corporate culture. YMMV

My Megacorp was OCD about NOT "re-hiring" ANYONE who had quit, retired, come-back-from-the dead, whatever! <snip> Each megacorp seems to have its own quirks, foibles and corporate culture. YMMV

My company just recently re-hired an actuary who left for greener pastures and then came back a couple of years later. I'm glad they did- she was very good at her job. They just REALLY didn't like me.:D

I just attended a get together with some former work folks and recent retirees. One guy had plenty of money but had put off retirement until age 69 and had been retired about a year. I asked him how he was doing and he told me that he and his wife had been about to leave for some international travel when he came home from the store and found his wife on the floor, gone from a heart attack.

There are no guarantees about future health or life, enjoy what we are granted and don't let other's choices affect you.

Wow! Point very well taken, at least by me. What a shame! I retired for good at 62, after some thinking both before & after retiring about working a part-time professional job maybe 20-25 hours. If my lady passes when I'm 69, I'll have had seven post-retirement years w/ her. And THAT makes it WELL worth full retirement! :)

I retired from Megaheallthcare two years ago. I was (nicely) harassed for about a year to come back PD. It got worse when Covid hit. Pretty sure it wasn't my sterling qualities but a global shortage in health care that was responsible.
I am so happily retired with DH.
And DS and DIL just blessed us with our first grandson. Life is so good.

My Megacorp was OCD about NOT "re-hiring" ANYONE who had quit, retired, come-back-from-the dead, whatever! Shortly before I FIREd I noticed one of our retired engineers (who had retired as a building manager.) I struck up a conversation with him and apparently he was w*rking with a local contractor. He got bored and hired on with the contractor who assigned him to our plant site. The buzz spread around the plant site like wild fire. It was less than a week before the guy was gone. Too bad, 'cause he knew the plant and was an excellent Chem E. Megacorp was well known for cutting off its nose to spite its face (or at least to "follow its own rules" at all costs.) Each megacorp seems to have its own quirks, foibles and corporate culture. YMMV

I was part of a division shutdown at MC. One of the documents I was given to get my severance "package" said I was prohibited from applying for a job in any of the MC's other companies. I disagreed with that and said that that was unacceptable. At the time, I may have said something about seeking legal counsel. They said it actually meant the MC was not "obligated to hire" me for a job that I may apply. I said if that is what they meant, that they should write it that way. They changed the sentence and then I signed it. I later worked for ~ 10 months as an independent contractor at a different MC location. They wanted to hire me but that division was under a hiring freeze at the time and I eventually moved on.

Back
Top Bottom