Settling Mars - Opportunities and challenges

I think it is fairly well mapped. I like the selling part. You could also arrange for payment in land to those willing to build out the infrastructure - sort of how the US railroads were given federal lands in the 19th century to encourage them to build new rails going West.

I agree. Maybe the railroads would like to do it again on Mars.

Speaking of Mars colonization and submarine operation, I find that the following quote is apt.

“Every society is three meals away from chaos” ― Vladimir Lenin

Of course, submariners are trained and greatly disciplined.

The civilians? Heck, they go on a rampage simply when running out of TP.

Imagine telling the civilians on Mars they need to wear a mask.....:facepalm:

I think there is some international treaty that prevents that (selling of parcels on Mars). That will probably need to be abandoned at some point though, as we get into mining of asteroids and such.

About trying to survive in the Alaska wilderness for a practice before going to Mars, of course I am not the only one who has made a comparison.

I don't follow celebrities and notorious Twitts, so just now saw something about what Bezos said to the same effect, except that he used the top of Mt Everest as a trial place.

Bezos said that would be like a paradise compared to Mars.

One of Hawaii's most active entrepreneurs is a guy named Henk Rodgers, he brought Tetris to the west and made a gazillion dollars from it. His passions now are alternative energy and space.

Since about 2014, he has been running Mars/Moon simulation near in closed domed environment on the Big Island, where crews live for months at time, sometimes as long as a year.

There are a number of articles about him and the mars simulators. This one is probably the best.
https://www.cnet.com/features/the-man-who-discovered-tetris-now-wants-to-save-the-earth-henk-rogers/

He throws great parties at his house in Oahu, and they were the highlight of my (bad) social life, one of the many victims of Covid.

Back
Top Bottom