Sharing 23 years of Frugal Retirement

Imoldernu - I love your posts and read a bunch of your prior updates.
You help make us be able to look forward to enjoying our 80's when we get there.

X2 I always love to hear from you and I always value your words of wisdom. Thanks

Imoldernu - I love your posts and read a bunch of your prior updates.
You help make us be able to look forward to enjoying our 80's when we get there.
+1 Dear Imoldernu, thank you for sharing another inspirational update!

God Bless you and your bride,

Regards,
Rick

Bob - you are amazing ! Thank you for continuing to share your journey with us. You are inspiring and give so many of us great hope for a long and wonderful retired life !

Nothing to add to the kudos from others, except ... Amen [emoji120]

Bob, thanks for this invaluable thread, and the subtle reminder that quality of life is more about people than numbers in a retirement calculator.

Bob,

Are you in a type A, B or C contract at your CCRC?

Good question... First, we live in a "Villa", which is a normal home. The "Estates" (apartments) is a type C... so although all costs, that include meals, transportation, all utilities including TV and internet (except for telephone), and access to the phys ed center are included in the basic cost.... Medical, is not, but access is guaranteed to the assisted living, and rehab and recovery, at what we consider to be reasonable costs.
It is not uncommon for people to require a temporary change to go into the recovery or assisted living center... for recovery from an illness or temporary disability... then, to return to the apartments.

FWIW, here is a link to Villla living, in a home similar to mine. The apartments are similarly appointed, though somewhat smaller. 2BR, 2BA. The page links to the Estates, and the other parts of the CCRC... https://simplythefinest.net/villas.php . ..Assisted living, Bounce-Back recovery center, Fitness Center, Nursing Home, and Alzheimer Unit.
Our home is very similar to the Villa shown in the link, and the outside view is almost exactly the same.

I believe that this type of stepped living offers a less stressful in-house option for older persons who are always subject to unexpected health changes.

After looking at similar all-in-one CCRC offerings, here in Illinois and Florida, we are at the lower end of the cost spectrum.

Our next door neighbor's mother who had lived independently until about four years ago, has, for varying health reasons, moved to three different kinds of facilities (not here), in the past three years... each time requiring a somewhat traumatic experience.

The type A and B facilities that we looked at while deciding retirement choices, while safe and very nice, were beyond our financial ability. We really like what we have, and have lived in LV since 2004. No way do we feel like we live in an "old folks home".

BTW... a financial security review IS required to live here and in the alternatives mentioned above, but nowhere near the amount needed to commit for forever long term care.

Hope this answers the question.

Last edited:
Bob, Thank you for your posts and updates. I found them very inspiring, and am going to read them again.

Goodbye

To all of the friends that I've made over the years, I wish you happiness and success in your future.

Bob

Looking forward to many more updates. But I disagree that you’re not a financial success. I consider you a succeed on all levels. Thanks. tk

Bob:

It sure is a small world. Hubby and I live in Brunswick, Maine. I hope you’re able to make it to your next Bowdoin reunion. My boss’s two children both graduated from there. I guess she won’t be retiring any time soon. LOL

Rolling Green was one of the communities that DH and I were going to take a look at in Ocala. But we checked out Water Oak in Lady Lake first and fell in love with it. We bought a home there in March. We’re putting our Brunswick home up for sale in July and hope it sells fast. We both cannot take another Maine winter.

Bob:

It sure is a small world. Hubby and I live in Brunswick, Maine. I hope you’re able to make it to your next Bowdoin reunion. My boss’s two children both graduated from there. I guess she won’t be retiring any time soon. LOL

Rolling Green was one of the communities that DH and I were going to take a look at in Ocala. But we checked out Water Oak in Lady Lake first and fell in love with it. We bought a home there in March. We’re putting our Brunswick home up for sale in July and hope it sells fast. We both cannot take another Maine winter.

Welcome to FLA. Moved here last year from NEast. We love the hot weather and all that comes with it.

To all of the friends that I've made over the years, I wish you happiness and success in your future.

catching up and noticed your "Goodbye" note! I wish you well. I have so enjoyed your posts and wisdom. Blessings to you.:flowers:

Good bye to you and thank you! As a newbie here, your messages to the rest of us were so informative. I wish everyone would leave love letters here to the future retiree generations.

Wishing you the best and much love.

Mr. Bob,
I to have just noticed your Goodbye note.

We joined the Forum in Sep of 2012 and your post was relatively new, July 2012 then.

It was instrumental to my wife and I learning about planning and educating ourselves on this and the Boggleheads forum to help us plan for retirement.

You were and are a inspiration and model for us, and I'm sure many folks.

All the best and we do hope you'll check in from time to time.

Thank you for your insight's and wisdom that you shared with us all.

gamboolman and Ms. gamboolgal...

I think it is safe to say your posts have helped thousands of people. Thanks for sharing a lifetime with us.

I love reading your posts and hope that you keep us updated on your life.

You and Jeanie have had a very successful life and it sounds like a great love story.

I am another one that goes back and rereads this thread. It always gives me something to reflect on. I also read them to my DH and he enjoys them too.

Thank you for all of the wisdom that you have passed on and I look forward to your next post.

Mods, please consider "STICKYING" this thread, you have funny video etc, but this in my mind is well worth it. Yes i can search IMOLDERNU and find it. But there are new people who might never have seen this or seen some of imolders posts and this one is well worth it !!!!!!!!!!!!!! i am t-360ish days and will reread this as another example keeping it close to top....

thanks.

Bob, thank you for all the wisdom and life experience you have shared! This has been the best thread ever.

The type A and B facilities that we looked at while deciding retirement choices, while safe and very nice, were beyond our financial ability.

We've been researching CCRC's and believe we fully understand the "all on one campus" concept and benefits. It's the choice between TYPE A, B and C plans that is causing the confusion for us.

Here in the Chicago area, we've found CCRC's with all types of physical accomodations (apartments, row houses, villas, low rise, high rise, etc.) available with any of the three types of contracts. That is, you can get the type of housing you want with the type of contract you want.

The real question for us is whether to consider the full coverage Type A places or not. We can afford them and like the idea that future costs, including full nursing care if needed, are fixed in advance removing a variable from our estate planning. But it seems that with type A plans you become so "locked in" to one place that it's extremely critical you pick the right one from the get-go. And, there's the timing issue. We're not ready to move out of our home yet (picture yourself 15 years ago) and would be unhappy moving into a CCRC now. Yet if we wait too long and one of us becomes incapacitated in some way, we might not qualify for a Type A plan....... We understand you have to be fully independent at move-in time.

Just wondering your thoughts on those issues. I understand the cost was beyond your reach so you likely didn't give it a lot of research. Still, you seem to have a lot of insight on these types of things.

I also note there is a "sticky" here on the forum on this subject which I need to go review (again).

Best of luck to you!

Thanks for a wonderful thread!

Guys, am I the only one a bit concerned and saddened by the apparent abruptness? Or did I miss a post somewhere?

Thanks for a wonderful thread!

Guys, am I the only one a bit concerned and saddened by the apparent abruptness? Or did I miss a post somewhere?
Was thinking the same thing. Not sure what do to say.
Does someone closer to Bob reach out to him if everything is okay:confused:?

I was also thinking along the same lines - I do hope all is well with Imoldernu

Back
Top Bottom