Sharing 23 years of Frugal Retirement

Congratulations. 60 years is awesome 👏.

Ps. Love the cigarette in the wedding picture. From days long gone. Similar to watching clips of Johnny Carson smoking on TV.

Thanks for sharing! Reminds me of my aunt and uncle's picture from '59. (They were the babies of my parents' generation.)

What I find amazing about wedding pictures is it seems that from about 1946 through 1965, they were amazingly similar.

And then, well, things changed. Early 70's? Wooo buddy, some pretty off-the-rails stuff!

Happy Anniversary. Thanks for posting the lovely pictures.

Logging in here for our celebration.

Quiet one for us... Our 60th wedding anniversary. July 12 1958.

We could not be happier, or more in love. Pics of prom and marriage.

Happy 60th anniversary!

Happy 60th Anniversary Mr & Mrs. Imoldernu!
Best wishes for many more happy years of togetherness. :)

Incidentally you are married longer than I have been alive....God Bless you both!!

Congratulations. Do you still wear your wedding rings? Personal, I know. Curious...to me that ring is like the band that should never be broken, the truest symbol in life.

Congratulations to you both! Have a wonderful anniversary.
I am always inspired by your posts.

Happy anniversary and congratulations. Quite an accomplishment and very inspirational. Love your posts.

Congratulations. Do you still wear your wedding rings? Personal, I know. Curious...to me that ring is like the band that should never be broken, the truest symbol in life.

Thanks all, for the kind thoughts.

Re: rings? You bet... both of us. Means a lot.

What did we do for the 60th? :dance: Went to my Thursday meeting of "Memories"... for about 15 members of our CCRC. I've been running this regular weekly meeting for several years. Each week, discussions about different part of our lives that we all share... grammar school friends, the first car, where you went to school, etc. That one particularly funny as many of the residents were farmers... Most of the 90+ year olds went to school in a one room schoolhouse... with all 6 grades in the same room.

This week, it was marriages and honeymoons. I thought ours was kinda wild and crazy, but the best story was from Milo who's 93... looking for a motel with no luck, they came upon one that seemed to have vacancies... checking in, they learned that the rate was $3 for 2 hours. :angel: Back in 1946.

Wow.

I just discovered this thread, and it’s inspiration for my future. I just turned 65, am working part-time, and I’m actively working to diminish the anxiety I feel about retiring so I can work much less, or stop altogether.

Bob, you’re a community treasure, here and (I’m sure) there in Florida. I hope you will keep posting, and I wish you and Jeanie all the best.

Happy Anniversary! I hope you and your wife continue to share many more years together.

Congratulations to you and your bride. It does take two! Regarding your meeting:
This week, it was marriages and honeymoons. I thought ours was kinda wild and crazy, but the best story was from Milo who's 93... looking for a motel with no luck, they came upon one that seemed to have vacancies... checking in, they learned that the rate was $3 for 2 hours. :angel: Back in 1946.
:LOL: In Mexico, they still have Notell Motels for rent by the hour. They are recommended when travelling across country because they offer individual garages for every patron. To prevent your mobile possessions from B&E!

Congratulations on 60 years of marriage

Imoldernu - the photos are lovely!

I read your autobiographical post with great interest. You retired the same year that my DH and I were married! We now are targeting retirement in 2021, and you have given us much to consider (and frankly act upon).

Keep up your memory work -- aerobics for your brain!

Alzheimer's and Dementia

The current issue July/August AARP Bulleton has an excellent article on the subject of Alzheimer's and Dementia. Excerpts here:

https://www.aarp.org/health/dementia/info-2018/difference-between-dementia-alzheimers.html

Since this had special meaning for me, I thought I'd post the link here, for those who do not belong to AARP and for anyone who has read parts of this thread detailing my personal situation. Currently, more than 6 million American are afflicted, a serious number, but nothing compared to the number of projected cases by the year 2050... Sixteen Million.

The article itself covers statistics, to the nature of the disease, down to the differences between AZ and Dementia, and how it is diagnosed as well as the outlook for the future.

It also details the cost, the number of Pharma and Medical corporations that have withdrawn research funds due to those extreme costs and the limited progress to date, and some forward looking plans to deal with what looks to become the most expensive health problem ever.

While this has personal meaning to me, the eventual cost for care or cure looks to affect most old(er) people to one degree or another. Even now, most of us are dealing with, or know others who are currently facing the emotional and dollar damages from this health crisis.

We have dealt with this by being open and sharing of concerns, and have included the probabilities that we are facing in the coming years... psychologically and financially. Always a bubbling fear but eased by mutual understanding. Fortunately the onset is moderately slow, but at that, completing daily tasks and things like writing, which used to be easy, are now slowed... searching for words, spelling and maintaining a continuous thought process. Most difficult is dealing with frustration.

One has to wonder why so little has been accomplished against these diseases.
The current issue July/August AARP Bulleton has an excellent article on the subject of Alzheimer's and Dementia. Excerpts here:

https://www.aarp.org/health/dementia/info-2018/difference-between-dementia-alzheimers.html

Since this had special meaning for me, I thought I'd post the link here, for those who do not belong to AARP and for anyone who has read parts of this thread detailing my personal situation. Currently, more than 6 million American are afflicted, a serious number, but nothing compared to the number of projected cases by the year 2050... Sixteen Million.

The article itself covers statistics, to the nature of the disease, down to the differences between AZ and Dementia, and how it is diagnosed as well as the outlook for the future.

It also details the cost, the number of Pharma and Medical corporations that have withdrawn research funds due to those extreme costs and the limited progress to date, and some forward looking plans to deal with what looks to become the most expensive health problem ever.

While this has personal meaning to me, the eventual cost for care or cure looks to affect most old(er) people to one degree or another. Even now, most of us are dealing with, or know others who are currently facing the emotional and dollar damages from this health crisis.

We have dealt with this by being open and sharing of concerns, and have included the probabilities that we are facing in the coming years... psychologically and financially. Always a bubbling fear but eased by mutual understanding. Fortunately the onset is moderately slow, but at that, completing daily tasks and things like writing, which used to be easy, are now slowed... searching for words, spelling and maintaining a continuous thought process. Most difficult is dealing with frustration.

Back
Top Bottom