Shingles

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Well, I just got diagnosed with shingles. Looking forward to a boatload of fun. I'm off to the ophthalmologist tomorrow because the rash started around my temple and the Dr is worried my optic nerve might be affected.

I browsed and found this thread http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/just-got-my-zoster-vaccine-43931.html. Only a week into this and I would say the vaccine is highly recommended even if insurance doesn't pay - the pain is unlike anything I've ever dealt with.

I'm confident things will work out. :)

I'm scheduling the shot as soon as the marrow donor issue is settled.

Well, I just got diagnosed with shingles. Looking forward to a boatload of fun. I'm off to the ophthalmologist tomorrow because the rash started around my temple and the Dr is worried my optic nerve might be affected.

I browsed and found this thread http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/just-got-my-zoster-vaccine-43931.html. Only a week into this and I would say the vaccine is highly recommended even if insurance doesn't pay - the pain is unlike anything I've ever dealt with.

Sorry Michael, I know it is terribly painful.

I hope you recover very quickly.

Ha

Sorry to hear, Michael. Too late for the vaccine for this episode, but it can be given after prior outbreaks after this one clears up. If there are immunosuppressant drugs in the picture, it gets even trickier.

I remember the original thread a year ago or so, and can only join you in suggesting everyone over age 60 discuss it with their primary doctor.

Glad you are getting close ophthalmologist care to protect that eye.

Keep us posted and best wishes.

I somehow missed the original thread... oh! Yeah. I was banished during most of that time period. Anyway, I was harrased by Shingles for about five years and for the most part have it under control now. I have to admit that I never had a severe case -- at the worst it was three pustules (or whatever they are called) and the pain was never greater than that of a mosquito bite -- but it was very, very irritating during the "flareups" every month or so.

My "cure" began with Acyclovir 5 times a day for ten days through five cycles. No Joy. I, then, took two tablets a day for one year. Partial joy. Then I took a tablet (acyclovir) at the first signs of a "flareup." A year later it seems to have been resolved. I can now ignore the initial signs and it subsides by the next day. This all took place over about a five year period.

As an aside, I noticed that the "flareups" always occured during a (relatively) high stress period. This has led me to believe that stress is an important trigger.

As such, I have tremendous sympathy/empathy for anyone who suffers from this affliction.

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear you have shingles. I can sympathize with you. I had them when I was 16 years old...it's been a long time but I remember how painful they were. :(

Tough luck Michael, I hope things work out okay :flowers:

I had shingles back when I was about 20 years old. Wasn't that painful for me, but it sure did itch.

I am so sorry you have shingles . I had them fifteen years ago and I still cringe thinking about the pain . Take care !

I remember the original thread a year ago or so, and can only join you in suggesting everyone over age 60 discuss it with their primary doctor.
The thought of this hanging over my next decade is one of the few things making me wish I was 60. Or wishing that the medical community would lower the threshold by 10-15 years.

Of course I guess you don't get to Shingles Vaccine Avenue (and pass "GO") without stopping at Colonoscopy Street first.

Just checked again in the Medicare booklet which states that all Medicare prescription drug plans must cover the shingles vaccine. DW and I got ours just as it was becoming available. Don't wait on this. Even if you have to fork out of pocket, it would be worth it. Three years ago our physician was getting $300 for the shot.

The thought of this hanging over my next decade is one of the few things making me wish I was 60. Or wishing that the medical community would lower the threshold by 10-15 years.

Of course I guess you don't get to Shingles Vaccine Avenue (and pass "GO") without stopping at Colonoscopy Street first.

Vaccine is easy (but expensive); colonoscopy not only expensive but requires prep; actually had a mammogram (don't want another)

Hi Michael, sorry to hear about this. My dad had shingles when he was in late seventies. He treated it rather late and the shngles affected a large part of his nerves around the neck and shoulder. He is now 81 and he still feels the pain. The important thing is to treat it early. All the best to you.

How terrible!!! I hope you recover quickly.

Is the vaccine still only for 60+?

We had a scare a month ago. DH developed a rash on both arms. At first he thought it was just because he had messed with some in wall insulation one day without his arms covered (but his hands were). But it got worse, and really started to burn and we decided time to see a doctor ASAP. About that point we were wondering if it was shingles, but knew we had already missed the 72 hour or whatever it is window for getting quick treatment to avoid log pain, etc. That was upsetting! Turned out it was what DH originally thought, and stronger anti-inflamatories helped the healing get started. The rash once it really spread did look kind of like shingles, but both arms the same was a good clue that it was not.

Audrey

Vaccine is easy (but expensive); colonoscopy not only expensive but requires prep; actually had a mammogram (don't want another)

Borrowed from whomever...

Many women are afraid of their first mammogram, but there is no need to worry. By taking a few minutes each day for a week preceding the exam and doing the following practice exercises, you will be totally prepared for the test. Best of all, you can do these simple practice exercises right in your home.

Exercise 1: Open your refrigerator door and insert one breast between the door and the main box. Have one of your strongest friends slam the door shut as hard as possible and lean on the door for good measure. Hold that position for five seconds. Repeat again in case the first time wasn't effective enough.

Exercise 2: Visit your garage at 3 a.m. when the temperature of the cement floor is just perfect. Take off all your clothes and lie comfortably on the floor with one breast wedged under the rear tire of the car. Ask a friend to slowly back the car up until your breast is sufficiently flattened and chilled. Turn over and repeat for the other breast.

Exercise 3: Freeze two metal bookends overnight. Strip to the waist. Invite a stranger into the room. Have the stranger press the bookends against either side of one of your breasts and smash the bookends together as hard as she can. Repeat for the other breast. Set an appointment with the stranger to meet next year to do it again.

My mother and grandmother both dealt with shingles. I intend to get the vaccine when I get to 60yo.

I will put a reminder on my calendar for my next doctor's appt. I will be 60 by that time. Will keep my fingers crossed 'til then.

Thanks all for the kind words. My diagnosis was at day 5 so it looks like I missed the early diagnosis window of opportunity and will enjoy a full course. Am taking valacyclovir (antiviral) and cephalexin (infection) – the original blister site looks infected and I have spent the past weeks inbetween a nursing home and hospital with a severely injured (and severely infected) aunt. I’m actually more concerned for her well being (and my mother’s too). Hopefully this will clear up within a week so I can get back to them.

Dr. said to get the vaccine as soon as this passes. I’m 56, so the “wait ‘til 60” rule isn’t hard and fast. I browsed a bit and there doesn’t seem to be a reason not to, it may be just a general population cost / benefit analysis.

Because I had seen others with shingles, I got the vaccine even though I had to pay for it and it is supposed to be only partially protective. I equated the cost of the vaccine to maybe 3 happy hours.

Sold!

Maybe you will have a relatively light case; I hope that will be true.

Ha

Dr. said to get the vaccine as soon as this passes. I’m 56, so the “wait ‘til 60” rule isn’t hard and fast. I browsed a bit and there doesn’t seem to be a reason not to, it may be just a general population cost / benefit analysis.
That's what I wonder about. I'm worried that one of us may encounter this before we reach the FDA "legal" age for the vaccine.

Audrey

Rich can weigh in here but when I got my vacinnation I believe if you had a history of severe chicken pox, it was doubly important that you got the Shingles vacine regardless of age. Wife and I had to pay for ours and got it from the local pharmarcy-cost about $200 a couple years ago.
Nwsteve

Here is the older thread where this was discussed:
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/just-got-my-zoster-vaccine-43931-2.html

Seems like Rich was saying that there has not been a lot (any?) clinical testing below the age of 60. If I absorbed it correctly, there doesn't seem to be any problem with getting it early (though you may pay out-of-pocket), we just don't have data on it. And I guess we don't know how long it is effective, but maybe a booster shot later will be needed. We will probably have more data by that time.

I nagged my Mother enough that she finally got the shot. My MIL went through an episode - you want to avoid it if possible. I'm thinking of getting it before 60.

-ERD50

Rich can weigh in here
This should answer most of the questions above.

Getting it before age 60 is not advised due to lack of data on safety and efficacy. Shingles is more common over age 60, and when it does occur, post-herpetic neuralgia is most common in those over age 60. So, it is not a mortal sin to get the shot earlier but it is not standard practice.

While you're at it, with all this vaccine frenzy, why not get yourself updated on tetanus-diphtheria-acellular pertussis (combined in 1 shot). The latter is particularly common we have learned, causing prolonged intense cough and occasionally worse (adult whooping cough).

Rich what is the thought on the need for a tetanus booster? Reason I ask is last time in Australia I asked about getting my 10 year booster they said not to bother. I know my last tetanus shot was in 1998.

Re the chicken pox, my mother swears I never had them, even though my 3 siblings did. When I was going to have the vaccine 10 yrs ago they tested first to see if I had previously had the chicken pox and the test said I had. Must say the stories of the effects of Shingles makes me want to have the vaccine now even though I am only 48.

Back
Top Bottom