Shingles

20110713_scars-6-twoface.nocrop.w560.h670.jpg

:LOL:

Well, I was GOING to say that your scar probably adds a lot of mystery and intrigue to your appearance and adds to your attractiveness to women, but instead I think I'll just shut up and go sit in the corner over here... :-X

:D

If you decide you don't like it, then just borrow some makeup from your DW and cover it up. Nothing is forever these days.

In reviewing the 2017 changes to my health insurance plan, I noticed that shingles vaccinations will now be covered for those age 50 or older. For those interested, it might be worthwhile to check your policies. I got my vaccination in the last year as I was 60. Previously I had asked my doctor if I should get it earlier and pay for it myself but he did not consider it necessary as I was not at high risk but did not explain what that meant.

My insurance at w#rk also covers it for those 50 and older. I got mine several months ago at age 60.5, mainly in reaction to seeing too many of those terrifying commercials with graphic depictions of people suffering from shingles. I tried to persuade several co-workers to take advantage of the benefit, but they all believe it won't happen to them. :eek: :sick: :eek:

Sorry to hear you're dealing with this again, and good wishes for a quick and full recovery.

You should think about posting that in the "recent photos" thread.

All kidding aside, I hope you heal quickly. I admire your ability to maintain your sense of humor in the face of this unpleasant challenge.

I got my shingles shot in November. Largely as a result of this thread. Also got a flu shot and a pneumonia shot. All three were firsts.

Thanks Nemo.

Same here although I didn't get the pneumonia shot. Maybe next year when I'm old. ;)

Well, I was GOING to say that your scar probably adds a lot of mystery and intrigue to your appearance and adds to your attractiveness to women, but instead I think I'll just shut up and go sit in the corner over here... :-X

:D

If you decide you don't like it, then just borrow some makeup from your DW and cover it up. Nothing is forever these days.

DW says "Don't they know better than to take you seriously?" ;)

(OK, there is some scarring...but do I care? Naah.)

Nemo2 >>> I didn't read every post and I did miss the post you talked about the discolor. I'm sorry to hear that but there is always something that could be worse. Mine was slightly noticeable not long after it went away. Then when I was outside for long periods it would kind of show up. Then it just went away and I can't even tell where it was today. This was about 6 years ago. I would say with in one year after I had it, it disappeared for good.

The new HZ/su shingles vaccine was submitted for FDA approval in October, 2016 and may possibly be approved in 2017.

I read the synopsis of their large trials (Glaxo Smith Klein is the company), and it appears to be quite superior to the current Zostavax vaccine.

Unfortunately, HZ/su will require two shots over two months. But at least it won't be live virus like Zostavax (so I am guessing it won't require refrigeration like that vaccine which has increased difficulty of administration).

I am 51 and have not had the Zostavax shingles shot. So I will probably wait until my mid-50's to get the improved HZ/su vaccine instead, waiting a while to let things sort out and see a longer term study (which is already underway). The current study, which shows fantastic results (like 97%+ effectiveness), goes out for an average time of only 3.2 years. The most surprising result was how effective it was in the older cohort (70+ years of age).

They are also doing a study to determine what is the effectiveness and safety of getting the HZ/su vaccine after you have already had Zostavax.

Saw the eye doctor today, eye is improving, but I have to continue taking the drops and will have a further appointment on Dec 27.

(Another, recently diagnosed, patient came in with the same basic problem...shingles affecting an eye.....so I presume it's not too uncommon.)

Saw the eye doctor today, eye is improving, but I have to continue taking the drops and will have a further appointment on Dec 27.

(Another, recently diagnosed, patient came in with the same basic problem...shingles affecting an eye.....so I presume it's not too uncommon.)

It's quite common, especially at the eye doctor's office! :LOL:
Glad to hear your eye is improving. Merry Christmas!

It's quite common, especially at the eye doctor's office! :LOL:
Well there is that....but he does see patients with other issues. ;) And wow, is the guy ever BUSY...he's the medical equivalent of a supermarket cashier...one after the other, non stop......I asked him how he keeps track of the continuous flow. :)

Glad to hear your eye is improving. Merry Christmas!

Thank you...Merry Christmas to you too!

I asked my doc for a shingles vaccine a couple years ago, found out it is not covered by my insurance and was going to cost $200. A couple days later there was an article in our local paper that the county health department would give them for $10 if you didn't have insurance coverage for the vaccine. DH and I went right away, saved us $380.

I asked my doc for a shingles vaccine a couple years ago, found out it is not covered by my insurance and was going to cost $200. A couple days later there was an article in our local paper that the county health department would give them for $10 if you didn't have insurance coverage for the vaccine. DH and I went right away, saved us $380.
I paid the $250 out of pocket and considered it a good investment.

Annual Optometrist's appointment this a.m., (eye doctor's appointment scheduled for March 09); he said that a minor adjustment might be beneficial, if it wasn't for "That F**** great scar in the middle of your cornea".

He figured that one of the possible treatments was akin to a laser 'scraping'......however, the laser apparently could reactivate the shingles.

Waiting to see what the surgeon has to say.

2 years later.....eye doctor says shingles on the cornea has reactivated - very unusual, he says.

I said naah, it's the story of my life - if it's unusual, I've got it.

On Valacyclovir for a week...back to see him this Friday.

2 years later.....eye doctor says shingles on the cornea has reactivated - very unusual, he says.

That sucks. Hope it passes you by[-] like a fart in the night[/-] like it was never there.

Have you had the new Shingles shot. I have a friend with some odd health issues and she's been treated over half a dozen times for Shingles in the last 6 years.

Last edited:
Have you had the new Shingles shot. I have a few with some odd health issues and she's been treated over half a dozen times for Shingles in the last 6 years.

We've both had the old shingles shots, but the new stuff wasn't available when we last investigated........eye doctor/surgeon didn't suggest (yet) that I spring for the new one.

We've both had the old shingles shots, but the new stuff wasn't available when we last investigated........eye doctor/surgeon didn't suggest (yet) that I spring for the new one.

At least with the old one, my dr. didn't want me to get the old vaccine while I had an outbreak of shingles. I waited a month after it went after the outbreak was over to get the shot.

Back
Top Bottom