ShopSafe Fail

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I signed up for emusic.com, and incorrectly interpreted this:

emusic.jpg

to mean that I wouldn't be charged anything unless I downloaded more than 45 songs, at which point I'd be charged 50 cents per song.

To avoid surprises, I used a shopsafe credit card number, and set the spending limit to $10.

It turns out that I misinterpreted the charge structure (my fault), and misinterpreted how ShopSafe works (not my fault), because an 11.99 charge appeared on my credit card. I spent time calling BofA to figure out why the charge went through, but never got an answer. It's not worth disputing.

Anyone know why the charge wasn't rejected?

That is a confusing page. Looking at main emusic page, looks like you get 45 songs "free" for signing up for $11.99 plan. I guess the "50 cents" is there to just illustrate what the $11.99 plan equates to...

Reminds me of "freecreditreport.com" baloney....

My understanding is that the emusic deal is that you get a short trial period where you can download up to a certain number of songs for free, in your case 45. But if you don't cancel your subscription by the end of the trial period you start paying a monthly fee.

No clue why shopsafe didn't do what it was supposed to do.

Have not gone to the site.... but it looks like you choose the $11.99 per month plan where you can get 24 songs...

IN ADDITION, you get 45 FREE songs in your first month as a sign on bonus... cancel at any time and we will not ding you for another $11.99 (unless there is a 30 days clause to cancel... then you get hit with two months the second you sign up)....

Anyone know why the charge wasn't rejected?
Two reasons:

1. The CC companies like to charge fees to customers who are over their limit, and
2. You did not tell the CC company in advice to reject all charges over the limit.

I had the same problem years ago when I got 0% interest cash advance to the full limit of a new credit card. For some reason, my wife decided to charge a $10 trinket. The bill showed a $29 over-limit fee. I called those folks up right away and got them to rescind the fee and reject all over-limit charges in the future.

Dispute the charge using the online form. You might even get them to explain how ShopSafe works. If it doesn't prevent charges above the set limit, what good is it for?!?

I am unclear on the $10 limit issue. Is the card a Shopsafe card? Where does B of A come in?

I am unclear on the $10 limit issue. Is the card a Shopsafe card? Where does B of A come in?

ShopSafe is a BoA feature that creates a temporary CC number. The card owner can set the maximum amount and the expiration date. It's advertised as a way to limit fraud.

ShopSafe has worked for me doing when doing something very similar, and is exactly what the product was designed to do. I would dispute the charge online.

Back
Top Bottom