Should I be putting my car's keyless fob in a Faraday cage?

Do you use the key? I figured I had arrived when I got my first car that didn't require a key. I played with the fob for half an hour. (That was my 2000 Buick that I bought in 2012.) Full disclosure, the car will still open with a key. I just can't imagine not using the fob but YMMV.
We use our phones*. Our master key is a card that we each keep in our wallets. There is no traditional type metal key or key slot.

*When I walk up to the car I press on the door handle and and it wakes up and talks to the Tesla app on my phone via Bluetooth and then unlocks.

Last edited:
We use our phones*. Our master key is a card that we each keep in our wallets. There is no traditional type metal key or key slot.

*When I walk up to the car I press on the door handle and and it wakes up and talks to the Tesla app on my phone via Bluetooth and then unlocks.

Yeah, I guess I've heard of that. It's probably wonderful, but I hate to use my phone for more than phone and text.

Oddly, I still have a key for my cars and I like the physical key. Just my thing (practicing Luddite, I guess.) :blush:

that's neat, how is the card used if you say dropped and broke your phone ?

Well, I got a Faraday box for Father's Day. With the fob inside the car won't unlock even if you walk right up to it. Some folks put their fob in a refrigerator but that's hard to test. I like to put my keys in a designated place so this will do the trick.

Well, I got a Faraday box for Father's Day. With the fob inside the car won't unlock even if you walk right up to it. Some folks put their fob in a refrigerator but that's hard to test. I like to put my keys in a designated place so this will do the trick.

Not sure why the key doesn't come from the company with a Faraday box. At least new ones, now that the issues are known.

Not sure why the key doesn't come from the company with a Faraday box. At least new ones, now that the issues are known.

It should come with a button to shut it off.

It should come with a button to shut it off.

I like that Idea. Give the drive an option of how he wants to enter her car. Keyless or with key (fob to push the button - that would be my choice.)

I wish I could just have a basic key that you insert in the door to lock/unlock and insert in the car ignition to turn it on....what a concept.

I wish I could just have a basic key that you insert in the door to lock/unlock and insert in the car ignition to turn it on....what a concept.

What a concept, indeed.

Heh, heh, I actually was excited to finally own a car with a fob to open the door and trunk. BUT it has a key which is capable of doing everything even if I were to lose my fob or if the fob battery were to die.

Heh, heh, now I find out that having a fob could put my 2000 Buick in danger of being stolen. What WILL I do??!!

Some of our cars have come with "valet keys" that don't have a remote. But we hardly ever use valet parking, so we stick the key in a drawer and never see it again, and so I can't remember if that's a recent thing or an old thing.

Some of our cars have come with "valet keys" that don't have a remote. But we hardly ever use valet parking, so we stick the key in a drawer and never see it again, and so I can't remember if that's a recent thing or an old thing.

Heh, heh, it was recent on my 2000 Buick. Actually, we got the valet key for our '12 RAV 4. 2 fobs/keys and 1 valet (for the drawer as you mentioned.)

Although not related to the keyless issue, Scotty Kilmer had a Civic on his Youtube channel recently that he wasn't able to get into without a locksmith. It wouldn't unlock with the remote even after replacing the button battery. The key physical key hidden inside also didn't work. He popped the door open and was surprised to find that the key just worked a switch. Since there was no manual way to open the door the dead car battery locked them out.

Although not related to the keyless issue, Scotty Kilmer had a Civic on his Youtube channel recently that he wasn't able to get into without a locksmith. It wouldn't unlock with the remote even after replacing the button battery. The key physical key hidden inside also didn't work. He popped the door open and was surprised to find that the key just worked a switch. Since there was no manual way to open the door the dead car battery locked them out.

That seems like such poor planning on the part of the car company. There should always be a "way in." (Also, there needs to be a way out!") Since we are surrounded by water, we carry a "multi-tool which can cut seat belts and break out side windows.

Not being able to open a vehicle seems inexcusable as a design flaw. YMMV

I recall a story from about 8 years ago where some guy in Texas got stuck inside his Corvette due to power failure to the door lockcs.. He died of heat stroke before someone finally broke a window to get him out.

I recall a story from about 8 years ago where some guy in Texas got stuck inside his Corvette due to power failure to the door lockcs.. He died of heat stroke before someone finally broke a window to get him out.
Yuck! We have a mechanical emergency door open handles, but we also have a glass breaking device under the seat.

Hey, is this the updated version of the old "guy died in a Vette and was there for 3 days - no one would buy the Vette for $300?" That one went around when I was in HS.

Just kidding. I looked up your story and it's true. DW and I carry one of those 8 in one tools (flash light, seat-belt cutter and window smasher.) Supposedly, one good wrap on the glass with the device and the tempered glass shatters like your nerves in a haunted house. :LOL:

In the Islands, it's not that uncommon for a car to end up in the ocean, so we were keen to get one of these (or similar) tools just in case.

Apparently, there is a way out of the Vette (and probably other such all-electronic cars), but the guy didn't know how and couldn't find it in the owner's manual. Here's a site on the subject. (No vouching for it's correctness.)

https://news.yahoo.com/car-fanatic-dies-corvette-escape-214000442.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

I'm sure there will come a day when my memory fails and I start inventing things out of whole cloth, but it is not this day.

Hey, is this the updated version of the old "guy died in a Vette and was there for 3 days - no one would buy the Vette for $300?" That one went around when I was in HS.

Just kidding. I looked up your story and it's true. DW and I carry one of those 8 in one tools (flash light, seat-belt cutter and window smasher.) Supposedly, one good wrap on the glass with the device and the tempered glass shatters like your nerves in a haunted house. :LOL:

In the Islands, it's not that uncommon for a car to end up in the ocean, so we were keen to get one of these (or similar) tools just in case.

Apparently, there is a way out of the Vette (and probably other such all-electronic cars), but the guy didn't know how and couldn't find it in the owner's manual. Here's a site on the subject. (No vouching for it's correctness.)

https://news.yahoo.com/car-fanatic-dies-corvette-escape-214000442.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

That's a good explanation.
When anyone rides in our Corvette, they get a 15 second briefing on the emergency door lever (on the floor beside each seat). If it was an airplane, there would be a huge red & white arrow on the door, pointing to the emergency handle and saying "Lift Handle for Emergency Exit". and you'd have to watch a video. Safety standards on airplanes are different.

All Corvettes of that vintage are either convertible or removable targa tops, the deceased guy also could have unlatched the top and pushed it away, though that might cause some damage.

Last edited:
Supposedly, one good wrap on the glass with the device and the tempered glass shatters like your nerves in a haunted house. :LOL:

I have one of those tempered glass devices, though I got it for a different reason...

I have several pinball machines, and both the backglass and the playfield glass are tempered, or at least they should be! Little weird to describe, but the backglass on most newer machines has a separate trans light that has the graphics and is "attached" to the backglass with a u shaped piece of plastic that holds it in place (4 pieces, one on each edge). You put it in place by sliding it up some, then let it drop back down into a channel on the back box, and there is a lock that secures it in place at the top so it can't be slid back up to be removed. One time I had a pin where that channel came off up in the top, and it could no longer be slid up to remove. Not a problem for security in my home, but in order to do any work on the boards or move the machine with the head down the backglass must be removed. Left it for a couple of years until I finally had to get in, I tried numerous things over those couple of years but could never figure out a way to get it out.

Having heard stories about how many pieces the playfield glass broke into by a couple of pin friends who had a piece shatter on them (it happens now and then) and having bought a used pin that had apparently had it happen while in the game, and there was still the odd piece I'd find down inside every now and then, I applied packing tape across all of the exposed surface of the glass. Then I used the little window breaker thing. You push it on the glass, and it sort of ratchets in and loads up a spring inside, until it gets all the way in and is suddenly released, pushing the point of the metal breaker part into the glass.

Poof, it's done in an instant! I can report from this firsthand experience that yes, it works! :)

The tape mostly did the job of keeping pieces from going everywhere, though I still had to use the shop vac on the pin and the floor nearby. I was able to pull the bulk of it out with the little tape handles I left on the surface in anticipation.

I should probably have added that I believe cars have laminated safety glass of some kind so they don't shatter and go all over the place. Not so in a pin...

I recall my sister having a hatchback where she went out one morning and the glass had shattered, I think it stayed together in some bigger pieces, sort of flexible, though there were definitely some itty bitty ones here and there. That was sort of what I was trying to do with my packing tape.

^^^^^
My understanding is that on most cars, the windshield is laminated to help protect against something coming though the windshield.
The other windows are usually tempered, strong and the million pieces they shatter into, do not have the big shards that you get with "Ordinary" glass.

Oh I know they shatter into a million pieces. Someone shattered the back drivers side window to break in once. Pieces everywhere but none cutting.

I do not understand the reason for the question.

If you are unsure simply buy an inexpensive faraday cage and place your keys in it at home. You have to put your keys somewhere....instead of on a hook, in your jacket or purse, or on the table drop them in a $15 faraday cage.

Far less expense and hassle than potentially having your vehicle and it's contents stolen. When and if we upgrade our vehicle this is what we will do.

I drove one of those 'push button' cars last week. I was still reaching down for the keys when turning off the motor after three or four days! I almost let DW go into Costco with the key fob while I went for gas at Costco.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom