Signed up for SS early retirement distributions today

Had I been single I would have taken SS earlier, but my wife was a homemaker (best one in the world I might say) so I waited until 69 so she would have a greater level of longevity insurance when I kick the bucket

Well my SIL and her husband are exactly the same age. They use a financial planner and the planner had them both sign-up for SS the minute the were eligible.They have some good sized investments and I think he wanted to keep his cut of their money as high as possible for as long as possible...

In my mind it borders on malfeasance not to have figured out some type of higher SS income protection for the surviving spouse.

Well my SIL and her husband are exactly the same age. They use a financial planner and the planner had them both sign-up for SS the minute the were eligible.They have some good sized investments and I think he wanted to keep his cut of their money as high as possible for as long as possible...

In my mind it borders on malfeasance not to have figured out some type of higher SS income protection for the surviving spouse.
If SS income is the only reliable safety net for the survive spouse then I completely agree.

We are all different but for DW and me i have to choose 2 of 3. Higher non-cola pension survivor nenefit, higher remaining assets, or higher SS survivor benefit. I can peg out 2 but not all three.

If SS income is the only reliable safety net for the survive spouse then I completely agree.

We are all different but for DW and me i have to choose 2 of 3. Higher non-cola pension survivor nenefit, higher remaining assets, or higher SS survivor benefit. I can peg out 2 but not all three.

A safety net is a safety net, even if you have other assets..in this case my BIL also took his pension survivor number down to 70% to get a bigger upfront check..also the advise of the FA.

Raising the maximum income level seems to be one way they're already doing this. Almost 300% in the past 30 years. I can see "them" removing the cap before hitting up the "old-folk"...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom