Six Seconds with a Coat Hanger to Break into Your Garage

I can't even hang up a shirt with a coat hanger in 6 seconds.

Thanks for the heads up, never heard of this before!

We keep nice bikes in the garage, but we lock them with a heavy cable to a fitting secured into the cement floor. Most afraid of simply forgetting to close the garage door.

I think one plastic zip tie solves the problem. Just zip tie the lever down. If you have to disengage, cut it and apply another zip tie later.

https://www.itstactical.com/intelli...ent-protecting-against-garage-door-break-ins/

Saw this Garage Door Break-in Technique at least 10 years ago. While I agree it could and does happen, I'm not the type to lose sleep over it. The Zip tie is a perfect solution (yes, a decade ago as well). Use a light one. Almost no chance of a coat hanger getting enough leverage to break it. If light enough, a good tug on the release cord will work fine in an emergency.

The manufacturer should not call that cord an emergency release, because I cannot think of any emergency where I would need to oped the garage door super fast.

If the power fails or the motor dies on my garage opener, I'm going to take my time, open the garage door and put a car outside, then close the garage door.

If a real emergency then happens I can go out the front door and get in the car and drive away.

The cord is really a manual release, which suggests the device fails. Better for manufacturers to say emergency release as everyone knows you do whatever needed in an emergency.

Back
Top Bottom