Sleep Number Mattress

Brian

Dryer sheet aficionado
Does anyone have good or bad sleep number bed experience? When you purchased it, did you "negotiated" the price of the mattress?

Looking at getting a new king size mattress. Our current mattress is about 10 years old has seen it’s better days. I also have minor back issues which I’m hoping a new mattress with improve. Luckily the Consumer Reports Feb issue did a mattress review which helped organize a lot of details. There are a lot of options and a wide range of prices. The sleep number beds had good test results, so we took a first look at them today. We are interested in the sleep number bed and we are into the research mode to decide which model we want.

The lowest basic model is a C2 has a list price of $1,400k. The higher end model we liked is a i8 model with a list price of $4,200. The C2 had no sales discount and the i8 had a $600 sale discount which ended today. Price is for mattress only and doesn’t include delivery, set up, or taxes. Deliver could be as cheap as $90 if its mailed and we set it up. We’re leaning toward the C2 with the plan to buy a nice mattress topper to give us the pillow top feeling. We’ve tried a memory foam topper on our current bed and haven’t liked it.

Consumer Reports included a short discussion of “Never Pay Full Price” and recommended starting at 50% off the list price. I think there is some room for negotiation, but I think it will be limited. Since there are two stores within 1 hr drive in opposite directions, I’m think of trying to see if I can get them to bid against each other. Obviously, there’s more potential for negotiation as the mattress costs increase.

They also had an adjustable base which allows you to adjust the bed position (raise head and/or feet) which I kind of liked, but doubt I’ll be able to talk myself into the extra cost of $2,500 to $3,500. Costs varies depending on the levels of adjustment. Probably not something I can talk myself into at this stage in my life, but certainly is something I could see using/wanting as I get older. We can add the adjustable base latter, but it has potential impacts to the mattress choice if we want independent control so I could be in one position and my wife in another position. It has us thinking of two twin XLs vs one king. Two twins will allow individual bed adjustment and would also allow us to use different mattress toppers since my wife likes a thicker topper.

I value a good night’s sleep. A good night’s sleep is worth more a couple of dollars/day to me. Since a $1/day over 10 years is $3,650 (assuming 0% interest). So, I could talk myself into spending over $5,000 if I am convinced it will significantly improve my sleep.

Man I am counting on some informed responses to your post. I have nothing to add but I am very interested.

No personal experience with it. When we were shopping for a new mattress this year,. We asked our friends that had one.
They advised us not to buy one. They liked the comfort but said they had many problems with it.
Hope that helps.

The lowest basic model is a C2 has a list price of $1,400k. The higher end model we liked is a i8 model with a list price of $4,200.

I don't own one but did check them out when when I was looking for a new mattress. I found something else I liked better but agree with your analysis, if it gives you a goods night sleep it's worth the expense. From reading the CR review it seems like both models use the same air bladder and the only difference is that the i8 has a thicker foam layer on top. If that's the case it would seem like the C2 would be the way to go and just buy a separate topper and save yourself ~$2500.

The Sleep Number brand just has such a high markup (B&M stores, heavy advertising, etc), that I just can't help believing there are better values out there.

We've been very happy with our Anderson "Pure Health" mattress. (Very old-fashioned web site!) It uses the same basic technology as Sleep Number. We got about 10 years before a bladder developed a slow leak, we bought a replacement (some pro-rated compensation I think, and an easy repair). Other than that, it's been no trouble and we think it is great.

If you've got high hopes for a revolution in your sleeping experience, then definitely go for a mattress that you can return for a full refund within a reasonable period of time. I don't think this is a product that one can choose based on anecdotes, 30 minutes in a showroom, or even well-collected and compiled customer satisfaction data. And I think a lot of companies promise the moon using a lot of ad dollars. You probably need to sleep on any mattress for awhile to know if it is really a good choice for you.

Last edited:
We got a Sleep Number p6 split king (2 twin xls) with adjustable base 3 years ago and like the mattress very much. We don't use the adjustable base features very much at all - I thought DH would use it to vary his sleep position to help with his spinal issues, but it didn't work out that way. It's the best sleeping mattress I've ever had, though. We definitely have different preferences for support so that's also helpful.

We have a queen sleep number mattress we bought about 3 years ago. The bed also elevates the head and foot which is great for reading in bed and when you have a cold and need to elevate your head a bit. One bladder sprung a leak and it was easy to replace. I like the component element of such a bed--just replace a part if it goes bad. It is a very comfortable bed. When we changed out DS's childhood furniture last year, I helped him get the credit to purchase a sleep number bed. He got one with a two inch memory foam top (I had to cosign but it's his credit rating too.) He's paying it off interest free--it's helping him establish a credit rating.

BTW, while we were shopping, I asked my partners if they had any experience with such beds and ALL of them did and liked their bed!

DW and I have had the same setup as MBAustin for about 5 years. No problems, best mattress we've every had. We did not get the adjustable base as we didn't think we'd use it - no regrets at all.

We are looking for a replacement King Mattress set now, and it is the off-gassing that has so far held us back. Crazy, huh?

Rich

We've had a Sleep Number for about 10 years. While I agree with Samclem that it seems pricey given the sales model and technology it uses, it is just as good as it was the day we bought it. We're still using it, no plans to change, and no real signs of wear. No mattress ever lasted this long.

If I were shopping for a new one today I'd probably get the adjustable base the MBAustin has, even though, like her, we'd probably use it very little. It looks potentially useful for someone stuck in bed for an extended time.

If you've got high hopes for a revolution in your sleeping experience, then definitely go for a mattress that you can return for a full refund within a reasonable period of time. I don't think this is a product that one can choose based on anecdotes, 30 minutes in a showroom, or even well-collected and compiled customer satisfaction data. And I think a lot of companies promise the moon using a lot of ad dollars. You probably need to sleep on any mattress for awhile to know if it is really a good choice for you.

On trying it out, I've been in a hotel that had sleep number beds so that might be an option if you live in an area or plan to vacation in one where there's a hotel with such beds. When we slept in one, we thought it was comfy but since we both like the same degree of firmness, I'm not sure individual control is of much help to us. We have a pretty comfortable Beautyrest at home and the thing I like about it is you are pretty isolated from motion by your partner. We have a platform bed which may make a difference.

We had one at our lake home. Things learned:

When you get a demo at the store, they have the air pumps isolated in a separate room. When you set the thing up, you will find that the pump sounds like a helicopter taking off. Normal speech is not possible and no one is going to sleep through their partner adjusting the air pressure.

The non-replaceable check valves tend to leak, letting the air out of the bag. This is when you find that the pump warranty is worthless. The thing is about $25 of plastic bits assembled in the Orient. When you go to get your pro-rated discount you find that the pump is list priced at like $450 and that is the figure that is pro-rated. So the warranty is a massively profitable thing for them, to the point where they really aren't motivated to make a reliable pump.

I'd advise against buying.

No help here with Sleep Number, but a few months back we were shopping for a new memory foam mattress and I ran across this very helpful website: Sleepopolis - Mattress Reviews, Independent & Unbiased

The site provides detailed reviews and comparisons of all the major (and not so major) online mattress companies. I was a bit leery of the accuracy of the information at first as the site owner is compensated if you order a mattress through his site (fully disclosed), but I found the review of the mattress we purchased (eLuxury Supply) to be spot on.

We had never purchased a mattress online, sight unseen, but since almost all the companies provide several weeks to return the mattress (or donate it to charity) for a full refund, we decided to give it a try. We've had it for 8 months and really like it.

I always thought buying a mattress was a lot like buying a piece of jewelry at the local mall. You go to some brick and mortar store where they have a bunch on display, and you get courted by a salesperson who claims to be an expert on mattresses.

In reality these salespeople are highly commissioned, and they get larger commissions by steering customers toward the higher margin items, regardless of whether they represent the best value or fit for the customer.

The markups have to be high to cover both the commissions and the fixed overhead of the store, plus the salaries that go to pay for the store managers, and a profit for the owner. So a mattress that the store buys for $300 gets marked up to $1200. And then they put it on sale for $800 and make you think it's a once in a lifetime deal.

They also would like to make you believe that there are big differences between mattresses, and theirs are the best. In reality, there are only a handful of manufacturers, and they make different models and variations for different stores just to make it hard to compare them from store to store. Aside from being more or less firm, and have extra pillow top cushions, there just isn't that much difference in mattresses.

I am a big fan of adjustable beds though. We bought a Leggett and Platt adjustable bed for both the master and guest bedrooms, and now that we are used to having them, I could never go back to having a flat bed. I believe this is a much more useful investment than paying a lot of extra money for pillow tops, cushions, or fancy material.

I've always been a fan of Costco for mattress purchases because their prices are very low and they have the best return policy in the industry. I know some people can't get used to buying a mattress online. For those, I guess you have to find a brick and mortar store you can trust and do your best to negotiate a deal.

We have a sleep number bed (King size) in the townhouse DD has been renting from us. We left it there when she moved in. We really liked it, and she loved it so much she took it with her when she moved a month or so ago. We've had it for about 8 years, with no problems. The pump, while certainly not silent, is nowhere near as bad as OldShooter's. More like a loud whine than a helicopter. So pumping it up while someone is asleep is a bad idea. But letting some pressure out wouldn't wake anybody.

In our other houses we've switched to Tempurpedic mattresses (or in one case a knock off). We actually like them better, but I still wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Sleep Number. We're sort of connoisseurs of naps, so this is an important topic to us.

Well it's an air pump how can it NOT make noise? That should only be an issue if your partner does a lot of adjusting in the middle of the night.

We got ours 20 plus years ago because our old farmhouse has a good sized master and the steps would only fit a queen side bed going up and around the corner to the bedroom. We wanted a king and at that time Sleep Number was our only option.

Swapped out that one 2 years and of course you only have to buy a topper because the plastic bottom box never wears out. The pump still worked too, we have such different sleep numbers that the foam in the middle started to break up from the constant stretching that happened.

For the price google past discounts and watch for a good time of the year. We started looking in Fall and ran across a great sale in about late Feb....

Thanks for the feedback. Spent some time in the store today looking at the adjustable base, the dual temperature (heating and cooling) pad, and the sleep IQ.

I've pretty much decided on ordering a C model (low $ end) mattress. They are in the $1,000 to $2,000 price range I was expecting to spend for a new mattress. The price with messaging adjustable base (flex3), dual temperature pad, sleep IQ, delivery, and taxes was around $9,000. I'm still trying to talk myself into the other possible bells and whistles. Most likely will wait and add them later if I love the mattress. The adjustable base and dual temperature pads can be added later with delivery being the only additional cost. The sleep IQ has an additional couple hundred dollars cost to add the sensors at a later date. Seems similar to the sleep pattern tracking that some fitness bands like fitbit can do, so I'll probably never add it.

I tried a couple of soft negotiation questions and didn't get very far. For example they include 0% financing for 2 to 3 years depending on the total sales cost, so I asked if there was a cash discount and was told no.

Consumer reports indicates mattress sales are typical during most major holidays and May, so I plan to wait and watch for special sales. They have my contract info, so I'm hoping that if I don't buy within a couple of weeks they will call me and offer special pricing.

I tried the Sleep Number bed at one of the vacation rental I had in Maui. As someone with a back problem, I don't remember the vow feeling. I went to Macy's and shelled out for one of the top of the line King size bed. In fact I liked it so much I got 2 within the same month. I suggest spend your money on your bed, it's cheaper in the long run.
One of my bed lasted longer than 20 years. I got rid of it when I moved, could be sooner but I didn't want the stress of buying and moving.

I swear by the tempurpedic, and yes I know the retail markup is insane.

Like the OP, I had back problems. A disc around L5 leaving me incapacitated some days, waking up in more pain than I went to bed with on a box spring. MRI's, pain killers, etc.. in my early 30's.

Went tempurpedic, never looked back. Even in fancy hotels with nice beds, after about 4-5 days I start to get a bit sore and that stops once I'm home again.

That said, I have a W hotel's bed in my guest room that is very firm and cushy, and I am plenty happy on that on the night's when DH's snoring is out of control.

We bought a Sleep Innovations memory foam mattress on Amazon for $600. King size, comes vacuum packed in a box and this is hands down the most comfortable bed I've ever slept on. Back pain was gone, nice and warm in the winter- we love it! Comes with a 20 year full replacement warranty. Hard to beat. The money I saved buying this, went into the IRA last year! Check them out.

We bought our king bed 10 years ago and it is awesome. I have back/neck problems so can adjust as needed. something went wrong with the pump about 5 years ago and we only paid 70.00 for them to send us a new one. Ours does not go up and down as that was not available then. The pro-rated warranty is great and it is not very noisy to adjust but regardless we don't do it when the other one is sleeping.

We bought our king size sleep number bed 12 years ago, and we still love. We liked ours so much that my wife bought her grandmother one. my parents had one too. We have all been very pleased. Best bed we have ever owned. Ours doesn't make much noise when you change settings. Its a mild hum when increasing the firmness that is easy to sleep through. Decreasing firmness is almost silent...just a click sound here and there as the bladder decreases. We have never had any issue with leaks. Maybe we have been lucky.

The complaint I have is the sheets for our model are pretty expensive. It is king size with 18" sides, so you can't buy them at Walmart.

There is no doubt they are expensive. We justified it as a shared anniversary gift at our 25th anniversary.

Last edited:
We bought our king size sleep number bed 12 years ago, and we still love. We liked ours so much that my wife bought her grandmother one. my parents had one too. We have all been very pleased. Best bed we have ever owned. Ours doesn't make much noise when you change settings. Its a mild hum when increasing the firmness that is easy to sleep through. Decreasing firmness is almost silent...just a click sound here and there as the bladder decreases. We have never had any issue with leaks. Maybe we have been lucky.

The complaint I have is the sheets for our model are pretty expensive. It is king size with 18" sides, so you can't buy them at Walmart.

There is no doubt they are expensive. We justified it as a shared anniversary gift at our 25th anniversary.

Take a look at the sheets at Costco--great prices and am pretty sure their sheet will handle ur 18 side

Back
Top Bottom