Which Mattress do you prefer after 65?

+1 to buy a firm inner spring quality mattress and then put a 3" latex topper on it. Start with medium for the topper. Soft might also work.

Most areas have mattress factories where they make a quality inner spring mattress at a reasonable price.

We got the LEESA LEGEND 12 HYBD KING online from Costco six months ago and like it. We researched and compared mattresses here...

https://www.sleepfoundation.org/mattress-reviews

"Searching for the right bed is cumbersome. There are options aplenty and tons of variables to consider. Instead of sifting through a wide swath of mattresses, we have highlighted the models that outperform the rest in their category.

Below, you’ll find the best mattress for every budget, build, sleep position, preference, and need. Don’t worry if you just want to see our top recommendations – we have that, too. And when you really want to get into the finer details, take a look at our Mattress Reviews Database for in-depth reviews on every bed we’ve ever tested"

One thing to look for, and they are sometimes difficult to find — a mattress discounter. They essentially buy seasons old stock that is brand new, unsold stock.

We had one in California, and that’s where I bought my Sealy Posturepedic mattress, it was a few years old, but I got to try it out and I loved it. It was like a $2000 mattress and I got it for 700 bucks.

Costco kind of does the same thing with furniture probably mattresses and glasses. And it does save you money. But when I moved cross country, I had to really look for a mattress discounter, and I did find one. So when I need the mattress for the spare bedroom that’s where I’m gonna go.

Foam latex - pricy and heavy, but worth every penny. I’ve been sleeping on one for at least 25 years.

Foam latex - pricy and heavy, but worth every penny. I’ve been sleeping on one for at least 25 years.

I have read articles in the past that say that latex mattresses are the least likely material to break down and sag. I have had almost every mattress type from name brand mattresses including Stearns and Foster springs to various foam mattresses and they all eventually sag in the middle too soon and lose support for the price you pay. Some have sagged within a year or two. You just never know until it is too late.
I'm going to be looking for a new mattress soon and will focus on a firm latex mattress with a memory foam top and hope I have luck with that.

Cheers@

I would test drive in a mattress store, buy it there, and have them deliver and set it up. Buying a mattress online can be a bad experience- at least it was for us.

We bought all the mattresses for our vacation home/AirBnB online. Your basic foam Mattress in a box. Nectar is great and our guests love them. Also good quality sheets really help!

+1

I will never understand the popularity of spring mattresses. I bought a latex foam mattress for a platform bed almost 40 years ago and the foam mattress still feels like new. It's not nearly as unwieldy as a spring mattress, so it's easy for me to flip over and/or turn it around. I do that from time to time, which may help its longevity.

I woudn't do THIS again!

We had a sleep number bed several years ago and decided it wasn't for us (don't recall specifics, but it's now in our guest bedroom). We went shopping and fell in love with the Intellibed (which is WAAAAY too expensive for what you get). We really liked it in the showroom so we talked to the salesperson and decided to buy. At the time they had "a special" going on (here's where the warning is) if you buy the "split king" (two double longs I think they call it) they will "at no additional cost" thrown in, (FOR FREE!) 2 independent electric mechanisms to adjust every part of your body independently, including massaging (really just vibrating).

Ya ... we did it. In the beginning it was kinda nice for one of us to sit up and read while the other sleeps (etc etc), BUT we still like to sleep next to each other so when the 2 beds were brought in-sync there was a VERY noticeable gap, felt like the grand canyon, that one of would get stuck in. So ... if you like to sleep (or spoon) next to each other, don't get suckered into the split mattress situation. It's a non-starter.

For those who might have the same problem, the best solution we have patched together so far is to buy a "crack filler" and "memory foam" topper from amazon. It is barely acceptable and completely negates the multi-thousand "waste of money" underneath them.

We were visiting our son for 10 days and he only had his mattress so we got a Casper memory foam mattress on sale at Costco and put it on the floor. it was very comfortable. Have tried all types personally and in hotels. I think I have settled on some type of memory foam. I still remember laying on the 100k+ UKP mattresses at Harrod's in London. We asked who they sold these too - Saudi's mainly was the response. That was years ago. I'm sure Russians were also on the list more recently.

we also went to the local Original Mattress Factory...
I went there first (unfortunately, I do qualify for over 65 :rolleyes:) and later went back with spouse. That also allows one to verify over a couple of different days... we did our own pick up (had full size bed on truck).

When examining other brands, even other "discount" type stores, they didn't appear as able to hold up or had apparent weaknesses in construction and usability (areas of lack of support or areas with high likelihood of failure). We'd tried a Sleep Number when at a hotel... we both HATED it... and certainly couldn't see for the price either.
just our experience...

how do you hate a sleep number...just curious

I would test drive in a mattress store, buy it there, and have them deliver and set it up. Buying a mattress online can be a bad experience- at least it was for us.

How do you really test drive at a mattress store? you can test the firmness level but not really the good nights sleep level....

How do you really test drive at a mattress store? you can test the firmness level but not really the good nights sleep level....
Agree, need to sleep on it for several hours. My gold standard for mattress evaluation, granted I set a low bar, is whether I wake up with less aches than I went to bed with!! :LOL:

I am not sure a memory foam mattress would be good for us here in Florida. What is the experience from Floridians? I would hate to wake up sweating. I do occasionally as it is, especially DW.

I am not sure a memory foam mattress would be good for us here in Florida. What is the experience from Floridians? I would hate to wake up sweating. I do occasionally as it is, especially DW.

I live in Fl and have a king size Sleep Innovations memory foam mattress from Costco that I bought13 years ago. I need a firm mattress although I don't remember what this one is. After a few years I was continually having an aching back so i flipped it over to sleep on the side without the memory foam to see if it would be more firm. It was and helped a little with the back but now it is not as hot to sleep on. I think they make a memory foam that has since addresses the hot mattress concerns.
My solution was not the best but since you can never know with any mattress until you sleep on it for a few weeks and I didn't want to buy and return multiple mattresses it was the next best thing.

Cheers!

I'm not sure of the brand mattress I have but it's on the old side. A few months ago I bought a 3" mattress topper and it made the bed feel brand new. Not a permanent fix but should last 2 - 3 years.

I’ve had a firm mattress that has been good for years, but in the last year or two I noticed I wake up in the middle of the night with a bit more shoulder and hip pain that I used to have.

Since my current mattress is still in good shape, I have been thinking I need a mattress topper of some sort. I am curious if others have found a good memory foam topper to be of use. Costco has a Tempur-pedic topper for $150 and I am tempted to get that one.

I’ve had a firm mattress that has been good for years, but in the last year or two I noticed I wake up in the middle of the night with a bit more shoulder and hip pain that I used to have.

Since my current mattress is still in good shape, I have been thinking I need a mattress topper of some sort. I am curious if others have found a good memory foam topper to be of use. Costco has a Tempur-pedic topper for $150 and I am tempted to get that one.
I was in a similar situation a few years ago, so I bought a medium latex topper from PlushBeds to soften up my Costco latex mattress. The topper was more expensive than a Costco foam topper, but I could afford it and it was what I wanted.

This won’t help unfortunately but there’s a moral?

Side sleeper, good mattress only 4 years old, experiencing modest shoulder joint pain every night such that I had to change sides every few hours. Put a 3” Temper-Pedic topper on to relieve the shoulder pain, and it’s worked on the shoulder. Unfortunately I’ve arisen with a stiff back so bad I can hardly roll and sit up in the morning every day for over a week. But no discomfort while sleeping? And it takes a couple hours to loosen up. Drat.

So the topper is off again.

Moral, we each have our own unique setup that’s comfortable…sorry.

Last edited:
how do you hate a sleep number...just curious

Well… I popped four air bladders during our 15 years… and for me my side was only comfortable if husband was ballast on his very soft side. It bolstered up the firmness on my side.

After he died… that bed was horrible. And trying to regain firmness, I popped another bladder.

The air mattresses inside the sleep number bed, are shaped much like pool mattresses. Except they’re much tougher. They use what they call I bar construction, where the the mattress/bladder is glued down into tubular chambers and technically speaking it’s not supposed to come apart.

But because I like it so firm, they did. it didn’t create a hole so the air went out, what it did was create a balloon effect. So the whole thing got puffed up. It was impossible for me to sleep on it. Because that big puff wouldn’t go down no matter how much air you took out of it — it was still puffy, and then it was way too soft and puffy. Also, once that I bar started to detach and fail, it was not unlike a Ziploc bag where it just let go. So it wasn’t puffy like at the top, which you could maybe work around or the bottom, within 48 hours it was the whole side of the mattress.

I went to my local mattress discounter and picked a mattress, and they delivered it in a week. I slept on the sofa for a week. I was never so glad to see something go out of my house.

So yes, it is possible to hate a sleep number bed. I have to say for my husband, he had degenerative disc disease in his back, lower back, and the flexibility of firming up the bed, or making it really soft worked very well for him. And, while he was alive I may have popped a bladder every three or four years. The bed was under warranty and I didn’t have to pay much to get it shipped to me. The warranty was a de-escalating one. Within five years it was 80 or 90% they covered 10 years it was 50% and I was very close to the we’re not covering it anymore For the last one. I think they only covered about $25 of it. I also didn’t buy a branded sleep number bed. They were making real sleep number beds, but they also made their own version which was a lot cheaper. It was also rather hard to find, which is probably how they got away with it.

But I understood completely why I was having failures when I bought the new mattress. I kept looking at medium firms and trying them out and not liking it and the guy there told me to stop looking at the tags just lay on beds and I laid on the bed and I relaxed right into it and as we were talking I almost fell asleep and I said I think I found my bed and he laughed and it was a luxury extra firm. And that bed is still comfortable five years later. So apparently I like firmer than what is possible for a sleep number to go.

We have a medium firm foam mattress that is working well for us. You might try Purple also, but only if you can test first.

Well, I'm not the person to ask! :LOL: My mattress is worn out and very uncomfortable, so I have been sleeping in my Laz-y-Boy recliner for the past two years.

W2R, when you post your budget you sometimes say you can afford to spend more but there's nothing else you want or need. You deserve a comfortable mattress!

Reactions: W2R
Back in the Summer I bought an online mattress. Amazing how they can compress it so it will fit in a small box and then expand to feel like any other mattress. I went with a memory foam as I'm a side sleeper and they are supposed to work better for my style of sleeping. The brand is Layla and it is a two sided mattress with med/soft on one and med/firm on the other. And it was as advertised. I ended up going with the firmer side and I put a mattress topper that I already owned on top of it to give it a tad more softness and to make the bed sit a little higher. Also a topper will supposedly help protect and extend the life of the mattress itself.

So far so good. I'm getting a restful night sleep w/o any aches and pains in the morning. Who knows how long it will hold up but it has a lifetime warranty. But I'm sure that's more marketing than anything else.

Cerys, sounds like you bought a cheap knockoff and not a real sleep number bed. I don’t know anyone that has one that doesn’t love it and they are impossible to wear out if you can still get the parts. About the only thing that ever breaks is the pump. When I divide the cost by the number of years I have had the mattress it’s cheaper than most that wear out by the 10 year mark.

Side sleeper, good mattress only 4 years old, experiencing modest shoulder joint pain every night such that I had to change sides every few hours. Put a 3” Temper-Pedic topper on to relieve the shoulder pain, and it’s worked on the shoulder. Unfortunately I’ve arisen with a stiff back so bad I can hardly roll and sit up in the morning every day for over a week. But no discomfort while sleeping? And it takes a couple hours to loosen up. Drat.
I don't know if this helps, but I got rid of my queen size Tempur-pedic mattress a few years ago for this very reason. As I got older, what was once comfortable and supportive, became too soft and actually painful to sleep on. I would sink into the foam as I slept (and as it warmed up) so when I would try to turn over, I was literally having to lever myself up and out of the mattress. Note that my mattress would be about 20 years old now, so anyone who has a newer Tempur-pedic may very well have a different experience than mine.

I'm currently sleeping none too well on an Luxury Firm Tight Top by Stearns & Foster. My back is better, although not 100%, but I'm dealing with shoulder join pain like others have posted in this thread. My darn mattress is so tall I can't easily fit a topper on it. I'm considering ditching it in favor of a 12" hybrid "bed in a box" from Sam's and then supplementing that with a topper if needed. Good luck to all of us mattress shoppers!

Which Mattress do you prefer after 65?

"One with plenty of room underneath it for our stash!"

Sorry I could not resist it. Happy New Year to you all.

Back
Top Bottom