Which Mattress do you prefer after 65?

ShokWaveRider

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We are in the market for a new mattress, we have always had Firm Plush Mattress' and kept them till they went soft.

we just moved the spare room Firm mattress to our bed, it is too firm for DW. I do not mind, but then I do not really care.

I am tempted to just buy a Medium Mattress now we are older and be done with it, as I have read a few folks saying that.

There is not one that we are considering locally that we can try out. I am sure just trying out a medium mattress at a store will not be the same as the one we will actually buy.

Amazon has 101 day trial periods. Not sure what that means, but they do have the one we are looking at.

What would you do?

I dunno what I would do in your shoes. What I did do was buy a firm mattress from Amazon that was hybrid foam and spring about 8 months ago to replace a really old but high quality firm set. Bought a relatively inexpensive model with excellent reviews.

The foam made the mattress a lot warmer during the winter, which was nice. However, the mattress is not wearing well, and there is a depression forming in one area. The reviews did not mention this. Something to keep in mind as you do your research.

My impression from looking around and talking to consumers and sales people, is that mattress quality is no longer good, no matter what you buy. If you find a quality mattress, please let your fellow ER-ers in on the secret!

What helped us when we were looking for a new mattress a few years ago was looking at Consumer reports testing of mattresses. Although they give an overall best rating number, it was more importaint to dig into their details regarding individual mattresses. They test for side and back sleepers as well as firmness and whether someone is tall medium or short. One thing that was important to us was isolation of movement i.e we don't want to feel it every time your partner moves a bit. We ultimately chose a mattress that suited our needs and are very happy with the Tuft and Needle model we bought even though if you looked at the CR ratings, it was not top dog.

I would test drive in a mattress store, buy it there, and have them deliver and set it up. Buying a mattress online can be a bad experience- at least it was for us.

Well, I'm not the person to ask! :LOL: My mattress is worn out and very uncomfortable, so I have been sleeping in my Laz-y-Boy recliner for the past two years.

If I/we were in the market for a new (conventional) mattress we'd be shopping at Original Mattress Factory. They have standard product offerings and are also willing to make custom mattresses to your desired firmness using either springs or foam or both.

We purchased a Sleep Number bed years ago and it addresses the some like it soft, some like it firm dilemma. The top ultimately degraded and we purchased a new top from an aftermarket mattress shop in Pennsylvania. We installed the aftermarket top/shell this week and the mattress is like new for $400 rather than the price of a new Sleep Number mattress.

Here are links to the products I mentioned:

https://www.originalmattress.com/find-a-store

https://www.sleepnumber.com/

https://www.magicsleepermattress.com/sleep-number-repair/

We have the Purple mattress now. 2nd one of them. I like it a lot.

One of you moves the other is not jostled. They deliver.

Lots of options. Just depends how picky. I'm not at all but she is.

I buy whatever the DW likes... Doesn't matter to me. Now "My Pillows" :) are a different story.

We've never purchased a mattress online. Have always gone to a store and tried them out.

Tempur-Pedic is our favorite. We had a queen size mattress for years, but upgraded to a king size. We love it.

We put the queen size Tempur-Pedic in our guest bedroom and everyone has always had a great night's sleep on it.

We bought the Saatva Classic. We got the luxury firm, but you (DW) might like the Plush. Unfortunately, a mattress is such a personal preference that it’s hard to rely on any recommendation. The good news is that most will allow for a return. Though even that typically has strings attached. Read the fine print.

https://www.saatva.com/mattresses

In 2005 we bought a sleep number king bed. When we divorced in 2021 it was still perfect. I didn’t take it because the bedroom in my condo wasn’t big enough if I wanted anything else in the bedroom. I bought a queen sleep number and it’s impossible to wear out if you can still get the parts.

I've had a Tempuredic for 15+ years but now it's on the guest bed. We sleep on a Sealy memory foam and prefer it. The Temp. tends to mold around you and make it difficult to roll around. I actually have a single size 2" memory foam topper on it for those nights when my hips or shoulders hurt. That gives me a firm support but soft topper.

Almost all the good mattress brands are now available DTC, with 90 days or more to return/refund no questions asked.

We are not "after 65" but went with the Midnight Luxe from Helix a year or two back and are very happy. It's firm, their firmest, technically, but feels like I'm sleeping on a very supportive marshmallow.

You can always find comparison articles online, that's what we did to start a list and narrow down from there.

I should have said we are not in the ~$3k mattress market. We are happy with <$1k mattresses. We managed for the last 20 years with <$1k and have no intention of paying silly money for a new one.

We bought the Saatva Classic. We got the luxury firm, but you (DW) might like the Plush. Unfortunately, a mattress is such a personal preference that it’s hard to rely on any recommendation. The good news is that most will allow for a return. Though even that typically has strings attached. Read the fine print.

Exactly what we bought mid 2019 (Classic Luxury Firm), and we’ve been very happy with it. Most manufacturers have a 90 day return policy or the like, though I’m sure that’s not a fun process…

Last edited:
Unfortunately, a mattress is such a personal preference that it’s hard to rely on any recommendation. The good news is that most will allow for a return. Though even that typically has strings attached. Read the fine print.

^ This.

We bought mattresses both for us and for the guest room a couple of years ago. We purchased them from Costco because of their great return policy and the fact the mattresses were on sale.

Our choice was the Ghostbed Classic, which is a firmer than average "bed in a box". It has been great for us and guests who visited and slept on it liked it so much they also purchased one.

I should have said we are not in the ~$3k mattress market. We are happy with <$1k mattresses. We managed for the last 20 years with <$1k and have no intention of paying silly money for a new one.

I can certainly appreciate what you're saying. I too was very skeptical of buying a Sleep Number bed but I'm glad we did.

Back to the $1,000 price point - Original Mattress factory has many products in that price range and less. There are several Original Mattress locations in Florida. They generally have large showrooms, lots of products to try. I stayed there for over an hour, lying down, reading a book - brought my own pillow. I cannot imagine buying a mattress that I have not tried - lots of people do it but that wouldn't work for me.

There are several Original Mattress locations in Florida. They generally have large showrooms, lots of products to try. I stayed there for over an hour, lying down, reading a book - brought my own pillow. I cannot imagine buying a mattress that I have not tried - lots of people do it but that wouldn't work for me.

We have Mattress Firm here in town. We are going today so DW can choose a Medium or Medium Firm.

I honestly can sleep on anything and do not care, although our current backup contingency mattress (Sealy PP Firm) that we moved from the Guest Room, is not too agreeable with DW.

Our Saatva Classic in king size was under $2000, now they’re slightly over that. While I’m all for saving money on most things, we spend about 1/3rd of our lives in bed, and there aren’t many other things that will ruin your quality of life like sleeping poorly IME. $2K isn’t silly money for a good king sized bed today? Silly money for a king mattress today is $5K+…

Last edited:
We were told by a salesman (can't remember where or who) something to the effect that one can more easily make a conventional mattress softer rather than more firm so we chose a firmer mattress and have used varying degrees of toppers on it for approx 15 years, and can even have more or less on either side for either of us. Has worked well.

Prior to that we splurged and got a supposedly top of the line brand and within 2 years it had a loose spring tear a hole in the mattress. It was under warranty, but when we called, if I remember correctly, they said we would be responsible for the $900 cost to ship it coast to coast to return, so my opinion is to read the warranty carefully before purchase. Hopefully things are better these days for returns.

We purchased our Saatva king bed in October 2018. Had it changed out twice, amazing customer service! They asked a few questions and we sent pictures, they came and replaced it from firm to medium firm. Then, DH was still not satisfied (he has back issues). Now we have 2 singles with different firmness that make up a king-size. I'm not sure Sattva's customer service is as good as it was back then. I saved all the e-mails.

I went mattress shopping at a number of local retail stores about two years ago, wishing to replace what was by then a too-soft queen size Tempurpedic mattress that was about 15 years old. I was having lower back issues and at night I would slowly sink into the foam mattress so that when I tried to turn over I had to almost lever myself up and out of the foam. My back really did not like that. On the advice of a friend, I made up a sleeping position on the floor with a Yoga mat and a comforter.

Because I was practically sleeping on the floor, I specifically shopped for a very firm mattress and I wanted to go back to an inner spring design. I ended up getting, and paying over $2,000 for, a Stearns & Foster Luxury Firm Tight Top mattress. What I discovered is that an extra firm mattress is not a good fit for a side sleeper like me. Unfortunately, the mattress is so thick that I cannot fit even a thin foam topper on it. I've decided that life is too short to put up with a mattress that's a bad fit, so I'm going to go shopping again but with a more open mind this time. Hopefully I can find something that I like in the store, that I will also like 6 months later.

We slept for years on a cheap $99 mattress early in our marriage.

We finally moved up to a Queen Stearns and Foster firm with memory foam, it was wonderful, but so big and heavy. The memory foam broke down after about 8 years.
We switched to King Tempurpedic about 10 years ago, the simplest one they had. Still very comfortable, but starting to show its wear.

I have looked at the newer "cooling" tempurpedics, they are about $3-4000. But oh, so comfortable to lay on in the showroom!

I can certainly appreciate what you're saying. I too was very skeptical of buying a Sleep Number bed but I'm glad we did.

Back to the $1,000 price point - Original Mattress factory has many products in that price range and less. There are several Original Mattress locations in Florida. They generally have large showrooms, lots of products to try. I stayed there for over an hour, lying down, reading a book - brought my own pillow. I cannot imagine buying a mattress that I have not tried - lots of people do it but that wouldn't work for me.

we also went to the local Original Mattress Factory...
I went there first (unfortunately, I do qualify for over 65 :rolleyes:) and later went back with spouse. That also allows one to verify over a couple of different days... we did our own pick up (had full size bed on truck).

When examining other brands, even other "discount" type stores, they didn't appear as able to hold up or had apparent weaknesses in construction and usability (areas of lack of support or areas with high likelihood of failure). We'd tried a Sleep Number when at a hotel... we both HATED it... and certainly couldn't see for the price either.
just our experience...

Back
Top Bottom