So who is jumping on the iPhone 5?

explanade said:
YOu do not have to enter your credit card in iTunes.

Thanks for your input. Martyb, if this is an issue for you then I would suggest checking into this thoroughly before making any assumptions one way or another BEFORE buying an iPhone, though, as I was unable to activate mine without an Apple ID and CC# required when getting that. Google is your friend. :)

Last edited:
If you order from apple.com, it may try to get you to create an AppleID and then have you use the same AppleID to create an iTunes account.

They don't want you to create different AppleIDs but there's really nothing they can do to stop you.

AppleID is useful though for iCloud features, like putting photos up there and using it to backup your device or Find Your iPhone.

explanade said:
If you order from apple.com, it may try to get you to create an AppleID and then have you use the same AppleID to create an iTunes account.[
Yep! Same thing is true when you buy the phone face to face at a Verizon store, in order to even activate the phone AFAIK. Guess maybe your

prior statement is something to doublecheck, too, for others who may not be aware of this.

BTW, iPhone 5 does not fix the problem on Verizon of not being able to use the phone and the Internet at the same time over the VZ network.

Problem is they would have had to put in another antenna in there and apparently Apple cared more about making it thinner and lighter.

On AT&T, you can call and use Internet simultaneously.

But if you are in an LTE area, the speed difference is suppose to be dramatic.

Loving my iPhone 4S on Verizon with unlimited 3G today at about $60/mo and I'm not looking to upgrade right now. Maybe the iPhone 5S will catch me in an upgrade mindset. I'll need to pay full price to keep my sweet plan, however.

I'm sticking with my Virgin Mobile cell phone @ phone $5 a month.

And you kids, get off my lawn! :LOL:

I think apple has stopped innovating.
They've turned into a company who sues more than innovates.
I think we're at the high water mark for apple.
10 years they'll be bankrupt.

Just saying I wouldn't spend the $600 on a fancy toy (which is what I consider it personally) that will be outdated next year. To each their own though!

Depending on what you use, it doesn't get outdated that fast -- I used my original iPhone for years before I got a free version 4 from work. It was still miles ahead of the android phone my wife got on virgin (even though the android was purchased years later). My usage was primarily email, web browsing, messages and a few basic apps like the stock ticker. I guess if I wanted to run the newest games I would need to upgrade.

since i rarely use a cellphone i have a tracphone. phone was free buy yearly usage for 100 dollars.

Virgin Mobile for $5/mo? Details?

You need to add $20 every 90 days to keep the phone active. However if you have it billed automatically to a credit card, it is only $15 every 90 days. That money rolls over indefinitely, but you are charged 20 cents a minute for phone use.

I use the phone so little that I accumulated a $250 credit. I used that credit to buy a smartphone from Virgin and then resold it unopened on eBay for a small profit. So, my actual cost has been less than $5 a month.

I just carry the phone for emergencies. If you talk a lot this wouldn't be for you.

I think apple has stopped innovating.
They've turned into a company who sues more than innovates.
I think we're at the high water mark for apple.
10 years they'll be bankrupt.

Hmm, did he sign up just to post that?

Tracfone for calls = $100/yr. IPod touch 4g for net browsing, email & Skype while traveling = $185/OT.:) BTW Apple can keep the new Ipod touch for $299 AFAIC.

I use a Tracfone too. I have an Ipod Touch, but want to get the new Ipad with 3G or whatever it has for when we are traveling.

My DD and I were just at the AT& T store earlier today. The microphone on her iPhone 4 quit working and you could not hear her when she was talking. You could hear her if she was using Facetime. She pre-ordered the iPhone 5, but decided to cancel it, since money is tighter, since her DH just got out of the Navy. She bought another iPhone 4 for 99 cents. It was past time for her to get another phone and they renewed for another 2 years. I was proud of her deciding to get the iPhone 4.

You need to add $20 every 90 days to keep the phone active. However if you have it billed automatically to a credit card, it is only $15 every 90 days. That money rolls over indefinitely, but you are charged 20 cents a minute for phone use.

I use the phone so little that I accumulated a $250 credit. I used that credit to buy a smartphone from Virgin and then resold it unopened on eBay for a small profit. So, my actual cost has been less than $5 a month.

I just carry the phone for emergencies. If you talk a lot this wouldn't be for you.

Ok thanks. Just making sure I wasn't overpaying on virgin mobile for my unlimited data and 300 minutes talk time.

We finally bought a t-mobile prepaid for DW to have a very infrequent use cell phone. $10 per year now with the gold rewards plan (after the initial $115 or so to buy the phone and the discounted $100 airtime card).

Did some research and found out the upgrade was essentially free from iPhone 4 to iPhone 5 (well assuming I'd continue paying a monthly bill for a smart phone anyways, whether it were iPhone or not)

- We can sell our two iPhones for $400 to Ebay Instant Sale - iPhone 4
- Purchase two iPhone 5's = $398
- Data plan and texting stays Unlimited (grandfathered in at AT&T)
- Total monthly bill $140 (700 shared minutes, unlimited night/weekend)

I had assumed that AT&T would mess with our Unlimited Data plan or its low price, but they didn't which was the huge selling point. If they had I would have moved to someone else. To pay similar to what we do now you'd have to limit yourself to 300MB data per month... which on these 4G phones would take only a couple minutes of heavy downloading to accomplish.

Still, that's $840 per year per phone in bills. Amazing how the smartphone crept into our lives and now many people say they can't sustain the same standard of living without them. I could certainly do without it, but have decided its a luxury I'll keep.

I'll wait and see what the Windows phones do the next couple years before moving away from iPhone.

Last edited:
Now the fun will be trying to find a way to turn the phone into a hotspot without AT&T knowing :) - then maybe I can cancel my internet at home.

Being that I'm "odd", I'll stick with my Windows (Nokia) phone. Even though it's #3 in ranking, it's #1 with the way I use it and connect to services on my desktop (at home) :smitten:...

BTW, regardless of where I travel in the world, I always know where it is (even left in a cafe in Venice - Italy, not the left coast) and can zap it's content if I'm somewhere else in the world, that day, along with being linked to my MS/Calendar from my desktop and reminding me of appointments along the way.

I guess being an old "MS guy", I feel comfortable with it's features and the way it works.

BTW, I have an android device (Kindle Fire) and it works well (for what it does), but as a total communications device, the Windows Phone works well in my (and DW's) world.

And it works well as a hotspot for my KF when I travel. It eliminated the need to carry my netpc device....

Just my (our) simple POV.

Last edited:
I had assumed that AT&T would mess with our Unlimited Data plan or its low price, but they didn't which was the huge selling point.

I'll say!! I am assuming the same thing with my Verizon unlimited data plan, but now I am wondering. Anyway, what a nice surprise.

A question for Virgin Mobile subscribers: how much do you pay in total fees and taxes for the unlimited talk / message / data plan? I'm looking to compare with my current Verizon plan, and fees + taxes are a fair amount.

I plan to upgrade from my 3GS to the 5 but I will wait a while to see if there are any problems with the initial release. I bought a MacAir laptop in January. I like the overall integration of the phone, my iPod, iTunes, and my laptop.

I'll say!! I am assuming the same thing with my Verizon unlimited data plan, but now I am wondering. Anyway, what a nice surprise.
Verizon makes you switch plans if you buy a subsidized phone from them. The only way to stay on the unlimited plan is to swap in a phone you didn't get through an upgrade.

Verizon makes you switch plans if you buy a subsidized phone from them. The only way to stay on the unlimited plan is to swap in a phone you didn't get through an upgrade.

Thanks. Then I am SURE that I am not getting an iPhone 5 any time soon. I don't use that much data, but I love not having to even think about data usage.

That's good, because I already bought a "toy" this month (the Nintendo 3DS XL video game console).

Back
Top Bottom