Sorry, it's my 1st cup of coffee

Do you really need your coffee (cafeine) to get you started?

• 1 cup will do it

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • 2 cups and I'm ready to go

Votes: 18 31.6%
  • 3+ cups or I'm a zombie

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • I drink some but don't need it

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • I need something else (breakfast, power drink, etc.) to get me going

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Don't need it, I got an internal "nucular" power plant

Votes: 11 19.3%

• Total voters

MJ

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I just read a poster apologizing because it was their 1st cup of the day and was just wondering what get's you going in the morning.
I do enjoy a strong expresso style coffee ( vienna roast, french-italian) but am too lazy to grind the beans up and make a fresh cup for myself. Since I don't need the stuff to wake up, I rarely drink it.
When I get up, I usually stretch and am ready to R&R. I may not even eat breakfast for another hour or 2 until I get hungry.

So what starts your engine in the morning?

I love coffee, but as I've gotten older, I can't stomach more than 1, maybe 2 cups. I get quite jittery!

I NEED my coffee. At least two cups to start the day. Sometimes 3 or 4. I start with caffeine and then switch over to decaf by the last cup.

Start out with a huge cup of brewed in the pot Earl Grey with wife
Little later I grind french roast/espresso beans and have a huge cup either from a press or coffee maker...

I usually drink a cup when I get into work if I'm feeling particularly slow or sluggish. Like when my daughter kicks me in the head all night and cries for 3 hours straight while I serve as a human punching bag.

Otherwise, I don't need it, but I may indulge.

Sometimes I need to be hyperproductive. Such as when I screw around for a few days and then realize I have a major deadline and have to git r done in a hurry. The caffeine hypes me up and makes me work faster (not necessarily better!).

I sleep next to my coffee-maker. A gentle nudge in the morning gets me a fresh hot cup served to me with a smile :). Love my first cup of the morning.

No coffee here, allergic to caffeine. Wake up to orange juice and a handful of vitamins.

caffeine was harder to quit than cigarettes. i haven't had coffee or a soda since the 1990s.

I've been drinking 2 cups of coffee every morning for probably 30 years. Occasionally I think of quitting, but I really don't see why I should. I drink my coffee while reading my paper.

I don't have an other caffeine the rest of the day, except for the rare cup of tea in the afternoon.

BTW, since I wanted to make sure I got it right,
is it nucular, nuculer or nookyler?

Not drinking coffee sometimes mixes me up. :duh:

New cue lar. Doesnt matter how you spell it, just make sure you pronounce it that way so your constituency identifies with you.

Sggeeeeeehgeggeeee...I knew you still had some of that bag of coca leaves kicking around.

How big is a cup? 8 oz? I don't think so.

If people want to hear me talk from 6-11 I drink about a cup. If not I remain a zombie.

Two cups of coffee and one diet coke daily. Look forward to both. Then, of course, there's wine with the evening meal.

JB said:
How big is a cup? 8 oz? I don't think so.

Thats a weird one. An official "cup of coffee" if you look at most coffee "instructions" is 6oz of water and 2tbsp of coffee. And those little "regular" styrofoam coffee cups are also 6oz.

I've tried several times to find out where that 6oz thing came from with no luck. Maybe its to leave room in an 8oz cup for cream and sugar or to keep yourself from spilling it in your lap.

Does everyone 2 tbsp per 6 oz.? I find that to be somewhere between tar and asphalt! I usually do 1tbsp (with a measuring spoon) per 6 oz., then throw one extra scoop in for good measure.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Thats a weird one.  An official "cup of coffee" if you look at most coffee "instructions" is 6oz of water and 2tbsp of coffee.  And those little "regular" styrofoam coffee cups are also 6oz.
I've tried several times to find out where that 6oz thing came from with no luck.  Maybe its to leave room in an 8oz cup for cream and sugar or to keep yourself from spilling it in your lap.
I thought 6 oz cups were the fine china used by Miss Manners & Emily Post.

I use a 12-oz insulated "travel" mug.

Laurence said:
Does everyone 2 tbsp per 6 oz.?  I find that to be somewhere between tar and asphalt!  I usually do 1tbsp (with a measuring spoon) per 6 oz., then throw one extra scoop in for good measure.
"Tbsp"?  For a 12-oz cup I scoop a teaspoon (the piece of silverware you put at a table setting) as high as I can and add another half scoop.  The flavor's not as strong as I'm used to but that's probably not necessary...

First cup of the day is 12oz. while driving to work.

Second cup is about 8am and is 16oz.
No more for the rest of the day.

Sleeping 5 hours of less a night requires a jump start on the work day. I used to drink two shots of epresso Puerto Rico coffee for starters. I have since cut back. :D

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
But WHY?!?  And why does it persist today?!?
Probably because it converts easily to 70-100% of your pre-retirement consumption.
Measured in troy ounces.
The same gauge as the train rails derived from the Roman chariot ruts.

In other words (almost) no one cares about the units-- a 6 oz cup is just a convenient and apparently standardized measuring tool.

Could be worse-- coffee consumption a decade from now may be measured in new units called "starbucks"...

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
I suspect we're more likely to measure our currency in that measure ;)

Except in a decade a cup of starbucks will cost 2.7 starbucks due to inflation.

Back
Top Bottom