Star Trek

harllee

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Since Star Trek discussions seem to have taken over the new TV series thread I thought I would start a thread for all us Trek fans. I have finished the latest seasons of Discovery and Picard and have started the new Strange New Worlds. I am hoping that Strange New Worlds will go back to the old formula of Star Trek series, looks promising. I am also rewatching Voyager and am really enjoying it, I forgot how good that series was.

ALERT: Spoilers are OK on this thread.

Last edited:
Since Star Trek discussions seem to have taken over the new TV series thread I thought I would start a thread for all us Trek fans. I have finished the latest seasons of Discovery and Picard and have started the new Strange New Worlds. I am hoping that Strange New Worlds will go back to the old formula of Star Trek series, looks promising. I am also rewatching Voyager and am really enjoying it, I forgot how good that series was.

Hmmm...I thought that Voyager was the worst of the spin-offs.

I watched the first three or four episodes of Discovery when it started several years ago but abandoned it after they made up some new way of propulsion using spores. I'm sorry, but the amount of scientific hand-waving needed to sell that idea spawned a hurricane.

I liked Picard Season 1 until the deus ex machina resolution of the predicament the ship was in.

I liked Picard Season 2 for about 2 1/2 episodes.

So far, one episode in, I'm liking Strange New Worlds.

MODS: Can we have spoilers in this thread? It seems the only way to discuss the series among fans is to have details. Perhaps edit the thread title and put something like "WARNING: PLOT SPOILERS".

I have not seen Strange New Worlds yet. I have seen Discovery and Picard. IMHO, neither are very good science fiction. I have never subscribed to the streaming service. Instead I get the DVD disks from the library and watched them for free. I'm glad I did not pay. They are OK as a freebie. If I had paid good money to watch them, I would feel ripped off.

Don’t forget about The Orville, a better Star Trek than most of the recent versions, imho.

The original series was good and so was Star Trek Next Generation.

Start Trek DS 9 was boring.

Start Trek Voyager was okay.

Star Trek Enterprise was okay and Seasons 1 and 2 of Discovery were good but the last two seasons were boring.

Picard season one was okay but I found season two to be a little boring.

The jury is still out on Strange New Worlds but the first episode was okay. I like the tie back to Captain Pike and the Menagerie which was one of the best two episodes from the original Star Trek and also a remake of the original series pilot.

I think Halo is much better than these new Star Trek series.

I liked the original and am in slowly watching those episodes now. Actually, I'm not sure if I had even seen all of them because so many look completely unfamiliar. I watched Star Trek Next Gen and liked it fairly well, but I never made a point to watch it. And I haven't watched any of the other Star Trek series that have come along. Not enough time for everything.

Hmmm...I thought that Voyager was the worst of the spin-offs.

I watched the first three or four episodes of Discovery when it started several years ago but abandoned it after they made up some new way of propulsion using spores. I'm sorry, but the amount of scientific hand-waving needed to sell that idea spawned a hurricane.

I liked Picard Season 1 until the deus ex machina resolution of the predicament the ship was in.

I liked Picard Season 2 for about 2 1/2 episodes.

So far, one episode in, I'm liking Strange New Worlds.

MODS: Can we have spoilers in this thread? It seems the only way to discuss the series among fans is to have details. Perhaps edit the thread title and put something like "WARNING: PLOT SPOILERS".

Spoilers would be OK with me. There is actually only one series being shown currently that is not a rerun and that is Strange New Worlds so that is the only one that could really be "spoiled" but it is OK with me to discuss the new shows on that one and "spoil" them.

I liked the original and am in slowly watching those episodes now. Actually, I'm not sure if I had even seen all of them because so many look completely unfamiliar. I watched Star Trek Next Gen and liked it fairly well, but I never made a point to watch it. And I haven't watched any of the other Star Trek series that have come along. Not enough time for everything.

I’m exactly the same. The Oroville (on Hulu) is Seth MacFarlane’s take on Star Trek. He plays it mostly straight, but I find the helmsmen pretty funny.

Just finished the second episode of Strange New Worlds. Enjoyed it (it helps that Captain Pike is very appealing to me). I liked the visuals and the story line. I also like that it appears that each episode will be a stand alone, not a continuing story like Picard and Discovery.

I watch all things Star Trek, The Orville, too, except I never got into the original series much. But I watch and rewatch the spinoffs and am up to date on the Paramount+ shows, except for the latest Strange World episode, since it just came out today.

I think I would like a Star Trek series where they actually send in trained Marine type soldiers to do dangerous missions, like Bobby in the Expanse, instead of the entire leadership team on the bridge crew wearing bright colored uniforms. Then again maybe not. Maybe the continuous lack of good judgement, actual leadership abilities, and haphazard application of the Prime Directive is part of the kitsch. :)

I watch all things Star Trek, The Orville, too, except I never got into the original series much. But I watch and rewatch the spinoffs and am up to date on the Paramount+ shows, except for the latest Strange World episode, since it just came out today.

I think I would like a Star Trek series where they actually send in trained Marine type soldiers to do dangerous missions, like Bobby in the Expanse, instead of the entire leadership team on the bridge crew wearing bright colored uniforms. Then again maybe not. Maybe the continuous lack of good judgement, actual leadership abilities, and haphazard application of the Prime Directive is part of the kitsch. :)

I have always thought it strange that often the Captain goes on the away missions on the various Star Trek series.

I have always thought it strange that often the Captain goes on the away missions on the various Star Trek series.

Galaxy Quest is a good spoof on Star Trek, especially the away missions - Guy Fleegman: I'm not even supposed to be here. I'm just "Crewman Number Six." I'm expendable. I'm the guy in the episode who dies to prove how serious the situation is. I've gotta get outta here.

Last edited:

Perhaps if the captain spent more time on his ship, the Enterprise would not get shot up to the point of being crippled so often. Everybody from some renegade eugenics leader to a few over sexed gals commanding a obsolete Klingon rust bucket seem able to best the flagship of the fleet. That gets very boring.

Just finished episode 2 of strange new worlds. I find it a little strange that they feel the need to interject so much teasing, jocular dialog between characters. It seems to strained! But I like it so far

Just finished episode 2 of strange new worlds. I find it a little strange that they feel the need to interject so much teasing, jocular dialog between characters. It seems to strained! But I like it so far

Agree, there seemed to be too much joking, especially in the otherwise tense scenes. But that is a minor negative and easy to overlook.

I think Halo is much better than these new Star Trek series.

So I'm not a gamer... well at least not since 1999. All I know about Halo is that it exists as a game that my nephew got addicted to and set him back in school.

Does one need to know the game in order to watch the show?

So, they almost went there in Enterprise. For a short time, Enterprise had MACOs. (https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Military_Assault_Command_Operations)

However, they were somewhat underutilized, and instead were put in as a source of friction to generate some stories.

As explained in the fandom link, the "Federation" tried to act like they weren't military based and in a new utopian galaxy, so MACOs were disbanded.

One could say one of the over-arching themes of Star Trek is the tension of being in a post-military galactic epoch, yet still going to war, blowing things up, naming ship's officers in military style, etc.

Oh, and BTW, give Enterprise another look. The timing was bad for this show. I think it would be much better received today. It didn't help that they had to add some really unnecessary "sexy stuff" to it either. The naked decontamination gel rub-downs are just super cringe worthy and nearly ruin the whole franchise for me.

So I'm not a gamer... well at least not since 1999. All I know about Halo is that it exists as a game that my nephew got addicted to and set him back in school.

Does one need to know the game in order to watch the show?

No. I don't know squat about the game. I watched the pre-credits opening sequence of Ep1 of Halo and was impressed. It's a military sci-fi story. Warning: there were some gory scenes. I will continue with it at some point.

Oh, and BTW, give Enterprise another look. The timing was bad for this show. I think it would be much better received today. It didn't help that they had to add some really unnecessary "sexy stuff" to it either. The naked decontamination gel rub-downs are just super cringe worthy and nearly ruin the whole franchise for me.

I remember some really good stories on Enterprises but I also remember some really, really bad ones. There was a bad one where Archer was babysitting his sick dog and had erotic dreams about T'Pol. (I think the dog had peed on some sacred plant on an alien planet.)

So, they almost went there in Enterprise. For a short time, Enterprise had MACOs. (https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Military_Assault_Command_Operations)

However, they were somewhat underutilized, and instead were put in as a source of friction to generate some stories.

As explained in the fandom link, the "Federation" tried to act like they weren't military based and in a new utopian galaxy, so MACOs were disbanded.

One could say one of the over-arching themes of Star Trek is the tension of being in a post-military galactic epoch, yet still going to war, blowing things up, naming ship's officers in military style, etc.

DH liked Enterprise and thought the decontamination rub downs of the sexy Vulcan were one of the highlights.:rolleyes:

Discover is my favorite Star Trek of the new group.
Every season has been better than the preceding one IMO.

Strange New Worlds so far, has been surprisingly impactful for me, which I wasn’t expecting.
The job they did with the music.compositions are amazing!! And that isn’t’ the normally something that I pay attention to.

SNW may very well become my new favorite.

If anyone has access (I know it is available on the Paramount streaming service), I highly recommend checking out Ready Room.

I also thought the joking, especially by Pike, was awkward and contrived. But otherwise I think SNW is okay so far. Jury still out. And I really don’t care for Lt. mustache.

One thing that bothers me. Uhura is obviously serving under and getting to know Pike. Yet, in TOS menagerie episode it was only Spock who had a prior relationship with Pike. I don’t remember Uhura helping Spock kidnap Pike or anything. Just seems inconsistent.

I also thought the joking, especially by Pike, was awkward and contrived. But otherwise I think SNW is okay so far. Jury still out. And I really don’t care for Lt. mustache.

One thing that bothers me. Uhura is obviously serving under and getting to know Pike. Yet, in TOS menagerie episode it was only Spock who had a prior relationship with Pike. I don’t remember Uhura helping Spock kidnap Pike or anything. Just seems inconsistent.

They are taking some artistic license and hoping real Trekies won't notice. But, we do. :)

Old school all the way. These new shows seem to be written by children. Shakes fist at cloud.

Back
Top Bottom