Stick with current T-Mobile phone, or buy Euro SIM card on arrival in Portugal?

So, a bit more info - learning as I go ... this market is always changing and Im always behind, apparently!

So, the eSIM product (a programmable chip already in more recent phones that is programmed to be a SIM by a QR code sent to your email after purchase - or perhaps even in real time by a rep at an airport or shop) is very interesting, but so far I have not been able to determine if it ("it" could be several different carriers in Europe) supports international calling.

The eSIM, like any dual SIM concept could also introduce another level of complexity into the experience - looks like you have to specify which SIM you are using, the physical nano SIM, or the eSIM.

Unless I find something that really simplifies the dual SIM (one SIM and one eSIM) approach, we'll probably just buy the $50 plan from T-Mobile which provides international calling and 4G (supposedly) data speeds. The Do Nothing option would still allow really slow data (we use phones for navigation, translation, where to eat, checking email, news, etc) - but some of that including calling could be via WiFi calling at hotels, etc ... if the $50 plus up option works really well, it is the clear winner - we'll see!

We are possibly going to France this fall so I was researching the same issue with our T-Mobile phones. It seemed to be as easy as buying the international data package. Is that what you understood? No different SIM card required?

Unless someone is going to be there a long time or they are truly [-]cheapskates[/-] frugal, I’d say people are over thinking this.

I have ATT and they have a useful feature called International Day pass. It allows you to use the data from your wireless plan and get unlimited talk and text for $10 per day.

If you don’t use it, there is no charge.

I’ve used this a couple of times. If I’m wandering around and want to use the internet for maps or to find a good restaurant close to me the $10 fee is well worth it.

Otherwise, I restrict myself to WiFi for calling or internet use. This is easy in hotels or other places offering WiFi.

On a “short" trip to Europe, what’s another $10 a day for occasional internet usage?

It’s very easy to use and for me at least removes the whole issue as something I worry about when traveling.

I’d expect the other carriers have something similar.

P.S. It doesn’t cover the whole world, but does cover North America, South America, Australia, almost all of Europe and parts of Asia.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/att-day-pass-countries

I’m traveling right now, and I’m using an eSim from Ubigi.

We chose them because you can install a single eSim while in the US, then add “data packages” for countries as you visit. One eSIM, buy data as you need it, country by country, easy peasy.

I bought a data package for my vacation destination the day before we left the US. It worked instantly when we landed in Europe.

Note that eSims are usually data only. They don’t come with a phone number or SMS number. You can set up an iPhone to use your US number for voice and SMS only (expensive, but we rarely use voice overseas) while directing all cellular data (including iMessage, Facetime, etc) to your eSim data plan.

As an example, my cost is 9 euros per month for 3 gigs of mobile data, using the eSim.

SiS

Last edited:
We are possibly going to France this fall so I was researching the same issue with our T-Mobile phones. It seemed to be as easy as buying the international data package. Is that what you understood? No different SIM card required?
Correct!

I know people do it all the time, but I absolutely hate dealing with SIMs and was so relieved when I switched to T-mobile.

I’m traveling right now, and I’m using an eSim from Ubigi.

Thank you for this. I need to read up on this, but it could be perfect for DGF who is not on T-Mobile and uses a cheaper prepaid plan.

ShortInSeattle;2758584 Note that eSims are usually data only. They don’t come with a phone number or SMS number. You can set up an iPhone to use your US number for voice and SMS only (expensive said:
SiS, do you know if an eSIM will work with a locked phone? My new iPhone is locked with the carrier until the last week of my upcoming trip to France:(

do you know if an eSIM will work with a locked phone? My new iPhone is locked with the carrier until the last week of my upcoming trip to France:(

No, you need to get it unlocked before you can add new service.

Correct!

I know people do it all the time, but I absolutely hate dealing with SIMs and was so relieved when I switched to T-mobile.

So, if someone in the US dials my number when I am in Paris, it will ring like normal?

Since we travel to Europe at least once a year, we just use a second phone with a pre-paid SIM card from Salt Mobile. Under the prepaid plan, local calls cost 49 cents, text messages cost 12 cents and unlimited data costs 1.99 per day. We keep a local number and just top up the prepaid amount before our trip. Family members who live in Europe don't incur the long distance charges by calling us on this phone. We switch to Wifi only with our US phones. We got tired of spam calls and texts on our US phones causing roaming charges on our phones.

FWIW, USA Today has a good article on this topic:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...-only-way-stay-touch-while-abroad/7320811001/

Also FWIW I currently use ConsumerCellular, having switched from a costly AT&T plan. When I contacted CC about using int'l roaming on my upcoming trip to Europe they told me I'd need to use a T-Mobile SIM card there, so sent me one.

Like Freedom56, I will use a second phone for local calls, texts and now data (since CC doesn't have an int'l data plan), using a prepaid SIM bought on arrival in Europe. Calls to Will only use my US phone for texts from my rental property tenants or 2nd level authentication, or Skype calls using wifi when available. For me, switching between SIMs on the same phone seems like a hassle and too easy to inadvertently forget to turn off a setting and incur high costs.

For me, switching between SIMs on the same phone seems like a hassle and too easy to inadvertently forget to turn off a setting and incur high costs.

In my experience it’s trivial to use and not forget which line you are using. The phone displays which line is in use. Just tap to switch. No need to go to settings each time.

ios14-iphone11-pro-dual-sim-phone-set-phone-call-line.jpg

ios14-iphone11-pro-dual-sim-messages-select-line-to-send-message.jpg

Buckeye,

We have had great success with T-Mobile in the past, even when we initially started their service - first trip was to Rome and the iPhone was just not working right - spent three hours voice with them on the phone, trying to find out why. They admitted to having exhausted their knowledge base and connected all of us to Apple where a rep immediately identified the issue as a leftover profile from Verizon that interfering ... about five levels down into the menu!

We made subsequent trips to Spain and France - pretty awful data speeds, but the phone worked fine for voice (expensive), but, the $50 add on for international should ensure much faster data and free calls - so, it SHOULD be transparent - which is what I was looking for ... this is the niche advantage of T Mobile, I think.

So, if someone in the US dials my number when I am in Paris, it will ring like normal?

Yes, it’s quite seamless. And to that US person there will be no charge. You will get charged your per minute rate, unless you happen to be on wifi with wifi calling enabled in which case no charge to you either.

You might want to set up your do not disturb so that there aren’t surprise calls in the middle of the night.

In my experience it’s trivial to use and not forget which line you are using. The phone displays which line is in use. Just tap to switch. No need to go to settings each time.

Ah, good to know. Once my phone is unlocked I'll definitely look at using an eSIM!

Yes, it’s quite seamless. And to that US person there will be no charge. You will get charged your per minute rate, unless you happen to be on wifi with wifi calling enabled in which case no charge to you either.

You might want to set up your do not disturb so that there aren’t surprise calls in the middle of the night.

But, I think if you have the $50 add on you get free calls in/out plus the enhanced speed for data.

Ah, good to know. Once my phone is unlocked I'll definitely look at using an eSIM!

eSIMs are great. I use one for my home country in Europe. I had that number connected to a cheap flip-phone with a physical SIM and was able to move it over to my iPhone last time I visited. It also lets me buy higher data speeds while I’m visiting, which is nice. As noted in this thread, selecting which device to use is easy on the iPhone. I image Android is similar, but I’ve never used one so I don’t know.

But, I think if you have the $50 add on you get free calls in/out plus the enhanced speed for data.
6 years in a row traveling in Europe, I almost never made a local call, and it happened that when I needed long time on phone to the US (like dealing with cancelled flights!), I was able to be on wifi and use wireless calling.

Communication with European family we used texting and FaceTime which was free.

I know about the high speed package as an option if ever needed.

6 years in a row traveling in Europe, I almost never made a local call ...
In our case we have found that having a phone is almost mandatory when we are using AirBnBs as getting a key or an access code is sometimes problematical. We also often travel with private guides and the phones are handy for communication with them, too. But everyone's travel needs are different.

I was in Portugal and Spain last fall for 5 weeks. As long as you connect to internet somewhere (although free wifi may be scarce), there is no charge to send or receive calls.

I'd love to hear how this turns out. I'm going to UK in one month and also have T-Mobil and was planning on buying the one month 4G data plan as well.

Pre-Covid, I traveled solo in SE Asia for 8 weeks, and the next year solo in Europe for three months and the T-Mobile standard plan worked seamlessly though slowly.

In 2019 I was solo in Europe and Israel for three months and was concerned about T-Mobile’s new practice of abruptly cutting off customers who used the majority of their service outside the US for three or more months. I had an iPhone (5S) in those days.

So I took an old old Android phone in addition to my iPhone and bought an EE sim (cheap) in the UK, and later a cheap sim in Israel. I put my T-Mobile iPhone in Airplane mode, turning it on to WiFi calling when I needed 2FA or to call the US (rare). The iPhone was securely stored, and my “daily carry” was the local sim phone. If it was lost or stolen, no big deal (losing your primary phone is a really bad pickle for solo travelers …)

When I start extended international travel again this year, I will do the same, but will take a second refurb’d iPhone since Android makes me nuts….

In our case we have found that having a phone is almost mandatory when we are using AirBnBs as getting a key or an access code is sometimes problematical. We also often travel with private guides and the phones are handy for communication with them, too. But everyone's travel needs are different.

I find that pretty much anyone involved in the travel industry uses Whatsapp. That’s worked well for me and only requires data.

I find it very worthwhile to have a local number for both me and DW. That way, if we get separated, or go our own way for an afternoon, we can easily get in touch with each other or find each other on "find my friends". This does make 2FA impossible as I use physical local prepaid SIM cards. I did not know about the eSIM and will look into that for our next trip.

We typically use the T-Mobile included plan features when traveling internationally.

Texting most often.

Voice calls via FaceTime or Facebook messenger to leverage the included but slow data.

Back
Top Bottom