Stopped in at my local gym

We've decided to cancel the gym and the plan is to not go back.

We've enjoyed not paying the $71 each month and not having to experience the interesting characters that frequent the place. Corona is not the reason to quit but it gave us the opportunity to step back and go a different way.....

So our plan is to equip a spare room with gym equipment....not high end but basic....and the business case seems to have a 2.5 year payback, tops. We are waiting until winter to create our own Y 'cause we hope by then, home gym equipment will not be in such short supply.

I will not miss the lady with the dog that pretends it's medically necessary, the signs on the wall that say they are inclusive yet I get rude comments when I wear a certain red t shirt, the folks that use the weight machine I want to use as a place to sit a spell, the grunting guy in the free weight area, the TV monitor lady that will not allow one of the 15 TV's to be turned to a certain news network that I enjoy, the constant emails from the Y about how they are "good" for the community yet they seem to operate like a for profit gym and enjoy non-profit tax breaks and finally, the Friday swim ladies who think they "own the pool".

Until the home gym is equipped, we've been, as others have noted, walking our rear ends off daily and having fun finding different trails. We do need to lift some sacks of flour though...feeling flabby and ready to get back with it...Just not at the Y anymore.

Last edited:
DFW and AJA - I see your point.

But, that's not what I am doing. This is a pre-pandemic plan. I study exercise equipment. Keep my eyes open and when a good deal pops up, I go for it. 2 examples: 1) Loved the StairMaster. Found out what models were acceptable. Began watching C-list for them and pow. One popped up for $225. Sold. Still using many years later. 2) Same with Concept2 rower. DS told me how great they were. Began using it. Pow! Opportunity to pick up a slightly used one 5 years ago for $300.

Now I am looking for a SkiErg. I have used one and like it. Currently, because there is greater demand than supply, used ones are for sale for more than Concept2 charges for a new one. Scalpers! When things turn around, maybe I can pick up a good used one for $300. Who knows.

Last night, DW said that our 25 year old treadmill is giving up the ghost, soon. I have no plan for that.

And I have the same pile of TP that I had before the pandemic.

The YMCA closed again this past Tuesday after only being open for one month (Az). I am going to miss my summer water aerobics class.
I stop walking/jogging when it first starts to get warm because of the rattlesnakes. I usually (carefully) start again in late October.
I have some old Kathy Smith workout DVD's and weights so that looks like my next plan. I don't have a DVD player of any kind now. I guess a cheap one from Walmart is on my list.

Pre Covid I went to a fitness center that I loved--but no more. I am walking and riding my bike and I have set up a small home gym with weights, yoga stuff etc. It is not that hard. I cannot understand someone willing to risk their health and their life to go to a gym.

Another home gym owner who was unaffected by the virus.

On a good note, I had too many weights that I had collected over the years and decided to sell some when the gyms around here closed. Stuff posted online sold for about 3 times what it was worth prior to the lockdown and I made over $2,000 getting rid of excess equipment.

Just got back from the pool at my local YMCA. One person per lane, advance booking. Lanes staggered so if you need to rest, you won't be next to the person in the adjacent lane. Temperature checks on the way in. Did not see anyone on any of the exercise machines. Place was pretty much empty. Really quite a nice experience; the only problem is that the pool lane bookings fill up rather quickly!

Back
Top Bottom