Stopping Supplements

Status
Not open for further replies.

stepford

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I know the effect of Vitamin D on COVID risk was discussed in some threads in this forum, but I can't remember where, so I hope nobody minds if I start a separate thread.

Prior to the pandemic my Vitamin D 25-Hydroxy level had hovered around 30 ng/ml. This is in the officially recommended range of 20-50 ng/ml, but when COVID came around there was much discussion of the potential prophylactic benefit of higher Vitamin D levels.

So about 8 months ago I started taking 2000 IU/day of D3. No obvious effects, but no COVID, so all good I guess. Anyway, this week I finally got around to having my annual blood test (which I'd skipped in 2020). The result was a D 25-Hydroxy level of almost 60 ng/ml. Probably not enough to harm me, but over the recommended range and high enough that I'm discontinuing the supplements immediately.

Since taking Vitamin D (and other supplements) was pretty popular during the COVID era I'm wondering if others around here have had similar experiences and whether people are continuing to use supplements or stopping as I now am.

Last edited:
I've never seen mention of toxicity below 150. My last checkup was 67 and my doc thought that was excellent.

I'd rather be at 60 then 30

Are you a doctor? If not, why not ask one that you trust?

My doctor put me and DW on a vitamin D supplement years ago. That and B-12 for me. Just had a physical and all is good. No Covid either.

I've never seen mention of toxicity below 150. My last checkup was 67 and my doc thought that was excellent.

Mine last one was 87 and doctor never mentioned it. The reference range on the lab work said 30-100, so I was in range. As braumeister mentions, the lab write up says that over 150 is the level to raise a concern.

FWIW, I take about 8000 per day and have been for years.

If you’re taking supplements, you should be in touch with your physician and making sure you’re taking the right amount, verified through lab work. I take a lot of supplements and I get blood work every 6 months, though I’m going to see if Dr. is okay with every 9 months (3 times per every 2 years).

+1. Mine was about 70 at my last check, and I'm happy with that. You'd have to be WAY higher than I am to even begin to experience toxic effects. I take 5,000 IU daily, pretty much year-round. Don't forget to take Vitamin K2 along with your D3.

I take 5000 IU of vitamin D and my level was 47 last blood test. I have been applying a 60 SPF sunblock daily since my 20's also on my face and arms to prevent skin damage but it has a side effect of keeping my vitamin D levels down. I also take 10,000 mcg of biotin daily to keep my hair thick and healthy.

I take 2000 IU Vitamin D3 and a nature boy dose of Arizona's year round sunshine.

I always test between 55-60 and my labs are done in January.

OP--was your doc concerned about your blood level?
If not, I wouldn't worry about it. However, if you wish to stop, I do not think there is any contradiction to just stop taking it.

After all the recent news on D3 and Covid, I had my doctor check my D3 last month as part of my annual checkup. I've been taking 5000 IUs for 2 years and it my number was 81 with a range on the paperwork of 30-80. Being in a northern latitude I'm very happy with that result. Only thing is it wasn't covered by insurance and I got a bill for $72 :facepalm: Believe it or not the "Committee" decided to not cover it unless there was a symptomatic reason for the test. This was a Mar 2020 change. Any other Military retirees on Tricare Prime, be forewarned.

After all the recent news on D3 and Covid, I had my doctor check my D3 last month as part of my annual checkup. I've been taking 5000 IUs for 2 years and it my number was 81 with a range on the paperwork of 30-80. Being in a northern latitude I'm very happy with that result. Only thing is it wasn't covered by insurance and I got a bill for $72 :facepalm: Believe it or not the "Committee" decided to not cover it unless there was a symptomatic reason for the test. This was a Mar 2020 change. Any other Military retirees on Tricare Prime, be forewarned.

This is the kind of crap that makes me shake my head, at how misguided our health system is. Insurance would rather wait until a serious problem develops than pay for a cheap blood test to get a piece of information that could be very important to know - with regard to COVID and many other aspects of health. When DW first had her Vitamin D3 checked several years ago, it turned out to be 16! We asked for it to be checked because she had broken her leg some time before that, and it did not seem to be healing properly, so her doctor agreed to include D3 on her blood test. I am very happy she got it checked when she did. She started taking D3 supplements after that, and now she is back up to about 60 or so. And by the way, the leg fracture did heal properly after that, and her doctor thinks her insufficient D3 may have been at least part of the reason for the initial slow healing.

I realize that it's not always necessary to have every blood test under the sun done just because the patient wants them done. But for something as important as D3 - especially when many studies have shown a link between low D3 and vulnerability to COVID - paying for the test should be a no-brainer, especially for those of us living in northern latitudes.

I've had it tested a number of times, and there was never any question about paying for it. I really wonder why any insurer would balk at it.

I was taking D3 before covid - when I was first tested I think my results were in the low teens, it hovers around 50 with 5000 IU a day. I live in the pacific northwest and wear sunscreen pretty religiously because I have a family history of melanoma so I don't think I get much vitamin D naturally.

Medicare paid for my test before, I don't know how my doc coded the order.

I've had it tested a number of times, and there was never any question about paying for it. I really wonder why any insurer would balk at it.

With BCBS Vitamin D blood test is covered but it's considered diagnostic so it goes against your deductible, it's not included in the list of preventive care screening test that all ACA marketplace plans must cover for free, wish it were.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom