Tax-Cut, for 2007

Sundance Kid

Recycles dryer sheets
I used it again, this year. Wasn't really happy with it!

They have all kinds of bells and whistles, that really add nothing to the program.
And , I find their help topics, to be a mystery!

I bought the Fed. and State program, for 24.95. Now , they want extra, to file your return, plus the state return.

Next year, I'll just go thru the process myself, with pencil and paper. At least, I can figure out, where I'm at.

TAXACT Free and $heaper than all of the others. Been using is for about 5 years and it is easy, clear and accurate. 2006 E-filed on 1/28 and refund hit CU MMA on 2/9 (which was on time as projected by the program).

Love TaxAct. A very efficient program with everything I need. The developers should be proud of it.

Does the free versions handle k-1 statement info ok? Also, what about downloading tax info from your brokerage account? Turbo tax will download my Fidelity information which is nice. Not a big deal if it doesn't.

My first thought is: Why is TaxAct free? What am I "giving up" to use their free software.

I need to research more when I come back from the gym...

cube_rat said:
My first thought is: Why is TaxAct free? What am I "giving up" to use their free software.

I need to research more when I come back from the gym...

The H&R Block basic Tax Cut program is free. A few days after I downloaded it and registered to get the updates, I received a full version CD in the mail that would give me all the bells and whistles plus my own state's income tax forms. Living in Texas makes the state income tax forms pretty worthless but I'm sure that even in Texas some people actually buy the upgraded version.

I don't know why anyone would pay to submit electronic either...I use turbotax...always works fine...but I print it out and mail it in for less than $1.

BTW TaxAct is written and published by the old "Parsons Technology" folks. For those who can remember back to MS DOS 3.0. They did some excellent Accounting Programs for DOS and the cost, at that time, was about $35.00 for the program. I closed out a $25MM Corporation using the software and never had a peep from the IRS - almost unheard of when taking a company that size from Chapter 11 to Chapter 7 and then to closed.

The TAXACT free program does everything the full PAY Version does except E-file. Good company and some very talented programmers there.

Handles K1 information also.....

Old Army Guy said:
The TAXACT free program does everything the full PAY Version does except E-file.

Actually the E-file is free, also.

I have to seriously thank you guys for the Tax Act link. I've always had a CPA do my taxes as they are somewhat complicated but after downloading the free version of Tax Cut I will plan on "pre-filling" out my taxes this year to compare and get a bit more insight.

It is a GREAT tax tool as I have fiddled with the free version for the last 3 hours.

As always, this is a terrific group of very knowledgeable people.

Thanks!

I wouldnt pay to file electronically either, but I can see why someone thats getting a couple of grand back in refunds might want it in a week or two instead of a month or more.

Check your brokerages and other financial institutions. Vanguard gives access to free turbotax for some high net worth customers and cut-rates it for others. My old credit union used to offer it up free as well.

Back
Top Bottom